Magic

by ticktock123

The middle of the forest,

Is where we have our show,

In the darkness of the tress,

And just our lights aglow.

-

There's music and food,

As we dance and sing,

Until time for the magic,

Which changes everything.

-

For those lucky guests,

Who witness our display,

Never leave the forest,

In exactly the same way.

-

We're not really witches,

Though people call us so,

We just like to entertain,

With our little magic show.

-

So if you feel like coming,

Do join our little cult,

But if you wish you hadn't come,

Don't say it was our fault.

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:44 am
xv0nillaWriterx wrote a review...

Hello, I am xxv0nillaWriterxx here to review you AWESOME poem So your poem is a flow but add emotions and feelings about the character so the reader can understand it more. Also describe the setting, what setting is it take place, it will help the reader vision the poem better. I like the way it rhyme sometimes in each stanzas and nice organization. Love your poem just add the things i say if you want, i am not forcing you, it is your poem! Thanks for reading this review and HAPPY WRITING!

ticktock123 says...

Hi! Thank you so much for your review! Its so nice to get good feedback. I actually intended to it to be really ambiguous - for the reader to make of the poem what it wanted but I get that it might have been better with more characterization. Thank you!

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:51 am
erilea wrote a review...

Hello, it's Artemis28! I'm here for a review, obviously. :)

I like the idea of this poem. Good imagery, talking about the glowing lights and the trees. Nice job on that.

I'm a little confused, though, on who these people are. Are they witches? Regular old people who just dance and sing? Something else? Who knows? I'm wondering if you hid this away from your readers intentionally, but if you didn't mean to, I suggest that you make it clearer in your poem.

The ending was really witty, and I like that. And how these people say they're performing magic and they're proud of it, and if you don't like it they don't really care. Your poem's cool; the rhyming helps the fun little feel the poem gives off. Good job and keep writing!

XOX,
Artemis28

ticktock123 says...

Hi Artemis!
Thank you so much! Your review was great! Yes, I did intentionally make it ambiguous to the reader, but I wanted to hint at some supernatural beings - through the whole "magic" kind of theme.

I'm glad you liked the ending! Thank you so much!
Tick tock xxx

erilea says...

Oh, you're welcome!

Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:24 am
1998 wrote a review...

Yo. This is an interesting poem. I do believe that you meant to say "trees" in the third line and not "tress." Also, you need to make the words have rhyme in the stanzas. Besides that, you did a very awesome job at writing this poem. I like how you are being unique and it's the typical poem. This is the first poem that I've read of yours and I would like to read more from you. You seem to have potential in what you write. I like to see that. Thanks for putting your work out. Keep up the work. (:

From A Fellow Writer 1998

ticktock123 says...

thank you so so much! Really appreciate the review. And yes, I did mean to say trees ;-)
tick tock

Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:11 am
ChocolateCello wrote a review...

Hey! Cello here!

Interesting story. it was very creative and you had some beautiful rhymes though I'm not quite sure what to make of the ending. I won't be editing content though so I'll leave that to the next reviewer.

Let's talk about beat! The lines that rhyme/contain the rhyming words should be within 1 to 2 syllables of each other. (The less difference the better)

The first stanza? Great! Perfect on the syllables! Second stanza? One syllable off but it fits in the guide lines. Third stanza? It's technically fine but...

For those lucky guests,

Who see our display,

They never leave the forest,

In exactly the same way.

The second line is 5 syllables the fourth line is seven. A simple change to make this a small difference would be to make the second line 'who witness our display'. It adds a syllable and make the vocabulary bigger too.

So we usually save it

This line isn't going against the rhyming rules or anything it just feels uncomfortable. Maybe 'So we tend to save it'? It's the 'usually' that's throwing me off. Change if however you want just get that word out of there if you can.

We're not really witches,

Though people call us so,

We just like to entertain,

With our little magic show.

Again, you're pushing it on the rhyme scheme. Take out little in the last line- It'll help a ton.

Other than that, great poem! I look forward to more work from you!

-ChocolateCello

ticktock123 says...

Thank you so much! Really appreciate the feedback - it really helps
Tick tock

All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
— Jane Wagner