z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

What If

by herbgirl


What if
one day
you woke up
and everyone was gone.
Like,
POOF!
Disappeared.

I know what I would do.
I'd wake up to my alarm
and be halfway
to school
by the time I noticed
something was wrong.
And that's just sad.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
42 Reviews


Points: 2989
Reviews: 42

Donate
Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:11 am
Vellichor wrote a review...



Ah. The beauty of short poems. Sometimes a poem can be too short for the subject matter, but this one was marvelously well done for what it was about xD I honestly got a laugh at the end because I was certainly not expecting what you wrote!

Poetry that is so capable of making someone laugh even with so few words is something worth being proud over. Keep up the good work, and sorry for the equally short review!




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 503
Reviews: 6

Donate
Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:09 pm
airazhae18 wrote a review...



This is absolutely amazing, you should keep up the good work. It is also really funny. I know that a lot people can relate to this. You're an amazing writer, you should keep up the great work. i can not wait to read your other published works. I know they'll be amazing just like this poem. I also love how you just had fun with this poem. I'm so excited for your other published works.




User avatar


Points: 534
Reviews: 2

Donate
Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:47 am
maniacmusician wrote a review...



dude
DAMN. thats amazing I just whoa what an incredible idea for one thing and then to end it like that that's absolutely awesome. To be quite honest, I almost think that it would be better to just end it with "something was wrong" because it leaves you blown away. Putting the last line, in my opinion, kind of lessens the impact of what you're saying. for me, I read it and re-read it again because of the end. It's absolutely amazing I love it great job :)




User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 1271
Reviews: 532

Donate
Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:29 am
GeeLyria wrote a review...



Hi herbgirl

I find this quite humorous, to be honest, and I like that the last line is crossed out; sometimes the best way to say something is without words. However, I think this could be better. I believe your idea has potential, for the end is quite unexpected and funny, but I also think the beginning of the poem could be expressed differently. If I were you, I would give the "show vs. tell" famous writing lesson some thought.

Think abou it: if you describe your character's way to school, what she saw or didn't see, how she felt or not, and how she realized there was no one on the phase of earth.... How/why is it that he/she didn't have any human contact til he/she was almost at school? If you show it instead of telling it, this could get so much more interesting and less common. I would say, work on showing (rather than telling) as you develop your character better as well as their personality. The more the reader thinks they know the character, the more they will like the end. I'm pretty sure, lol. I would also work on a catchier title; it's being unjust to your idea.

Keep writing! ^_^




User avatar
119 Reviews


Points: 4497
Reviews: 119

Donate
Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:18 am
InfiniteRectangles wrote a review...



Hiya! InfiniteRectangles here with a brief review for you!

First, I really liked this! I love how you took a serious topic and turned it into something funny! Well done! Honestly, I would probably do the same thing the person in this poem did lol. You get so caught up in routine that you don't even notice when something changes!

Anyway, rambling aside, there were just a couple of things I noticed about this poem that could use a teeny bit of improvement.
"and everyone was gone."
I get the effect you trying to go for here, but it seems a nit long and out of place to me. Maybe if you broke it up into two lines it would flow a little better.

"And that's just sad."
Don't really understand the whole crossed-out thing, but I'm sure you have your reasons. But aside from it being crossed out, it doesn't really fit the rhythm of the poem as well. It just seems a bit awkward. Maybe if you made it just slightly longer, like a couple of syllables longer, it would fit the rhythm.

Okie dokie, that's all I have for you! Overall this was a really good poem and I enjoyed reading it! Keep writing and have a wonderful day/night! ^-^




User avatar
207 Reviews


Points: 2577
Reviews: 207

Donate
Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:43 pm
Rin321 wrote a review...



Hey herbgirl!
CHRISSY321 back again literally 30 seconds between reviewing you other work! :smt024

*Happy Holidays! :smt111 *

Hi again! Okay, much like you work 'The Great White Whale' The title to this work again grabbed my attention! You took something like this topic, and made it really, really funny! Again, I really did not find anything wrong, just ta few things that I would tweak!

By the time I noticed
Something was wrong.
And that's just sad.


The last line here kind of pulled at me. I am not sure what exactly to do to make it flow better, but here a re a few things that I think could help:

One way to fix it could be to instead put a comma after 'wrong' and then follow by the next line having a lower case 'a' for 'and'. I think this is one prime way to fix it, but here is one more just in case:

Instead of saying 'And that's just sad' You could say 'And I know, that is just sad' Think I got that the way I meant, But I think you got the idea!

One more thing I would fix is these mistakes (using a couple lines as examples)
I'd wake up to my alarm
And be halfway
To school
By the time I noticed
Something was wrong.


I would treat it like a sentence. You would not capitalize all of those words in the one sentence would you? I believe the same concept should be applied here, and any other parts of the poem with the same thing.

Along with all of that I would add a comma after 'school'.

Overall this was awesome and made me laugh! Thanks so much for writing this and sharing! Keep writing! :)

~Chrissy




herbgirl says...


Thanks! I just wanted to explain the last line. I wrote this poem in school in a notebook, and the last line I wrote, then scribbled out. I then showed the poem to a cousin and they really thought the crossed out line added to the poem. So I included it just how it was. Other than that, i think I will make a few adjustments, thank you.




That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo - and it's worth fighting for.
— Samwise Gamgee