12+

Just a Drop

by ghost223

In one teardrop, you lose your sense of self.

In one teardrop, your heart left me a key.

In one teardrop, you take that picture off the shelf.

In one teardrop, you don’t want anybody to see.

Don’t lose yourself.

Keep ahold of your key.

Leave the picture on the shelf.

Remember that I can see.

You may not know it, but I cared for you.

You may not know it, but we fought the same war.

You may not know it, but our tears kept us true.

You may not know it, but you have nothing to wait for

Let me care for you.

Allow us to fight our war.

Enjoy the tears that keep us true.

What are you waiting for?

In just one drop, you know that nobody can see.

Imagine crying a hurricane.

I still have your picture on my shelf, that’s what you meant to me.

My nightmares are driving me insane.

You were sent to a heavenly place.

I still care for you, even though I feel cold to the core.

Tears give me such a hell-streaked face.

Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:22 am
MeAndMyThoughts wrote a review...

Hello there. I hope to give a fair review even though a lot has already been said.

I like poems which follow a rhyme scheme or atleast rhyme. It gives a flow to the poem. In my opinion the first stanza was great. I felt that all went into flow and a clear sense was made. The use of 'period' was important in stanzas with repeating lines so that it remains in flow, but using it many a times is not a good idea. It brings a lot of pause, which is not good for a poem which rhymes so well. One more thing is about this line— 'You may not know it, but you have nothing to wait for'. It doesn't has a period at the end. Is it completed only with the other line? But the main problem is that it feels awkward and breaks the flow. About this line— 'In just one drop, you know that nobody can see.' It although agrees with the fourth line, but disagrees with a line said after the fourth line and but before this particular line, i.e., 'Remember that I can see.' And so doesn't feel right. Otherwise it's a good poem. Keep it up!

ghost223 says...

There was supposed to be period there.

Also, I have no idea what you were saying at the end.
It although agrees with the fourth line, but disagrees with a line said after the fourth line and but before this particular line, i.e., 'Remember that I can see.' And so doesn't feel right.
What...?

Sorry to confuse you there. Simply put this line doesn't seem right %u2014 'In just one drop, you know that nobody can see.' Maybe there is some other meaning which I didn't understand.

Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:44 am
Virgil wrote a review...

This is Kaos for a review!

These first four lines of the poem were repetitive. I know that it was intentional here, but I didn't think it worked because it blocked any source of imagery to come in. I'm not necessarily saying that it needs taken out, which is something you could consider, but I am saying that it needs revised. Instead of doing something scattered for the second part of the poem, you could have it all start out with "In one teardrop" like you have now but have it relate to liquid or tears in some form.

I'm also not a very big fan of clumped together repetition in general because the lines tend to get stale from it repeating. There are some cases where I find it good like when the start of the line is the same but the second half of the line is drastically different from each other or say something that hasn't been said before in the poem or the lines.

The punctuation in this poem didn't have much variety, so I suggest that you spice it up instead of everything being the same. Let lines build onto each other, let ones only go on for one and end there. Use commas, semicolons, things like that.

There was some rhyming in this poem that I didn't particularly hate or like, but I suggest you take it out for the sake of being able to do more things with imagery instead of focusing on the rhyme scheme. The "self" and "shelf" rhyme felt awkward in the beginning of the poem, for example.

There was a lot of mixed imagery in this poem that didn't really feel to have a voice or style behind it that much. I didn't like the amount of times you used or talked of tears when there are other kinds of sadness than just that. You don't add anything new to the poem when you talk about them, and if you want to use it as repetition I suggest adding new things each time like them tasting like salt or some other use of the five senses.

The last line was probably the strongest of the poem, but the second to last one cancelled it out a bit for me, or rather, the last few lines. The image that it imbues into the reader's mind is strong, you can imagine it, and you didn't need to describe it with a lot of words, so that was also a plus.

I hope I helped and have a great day!

ghost223 says...

I won't change it, but I'll take your words into consideration.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:21 am
Astronomer wrote a review...

Hello there, Ghost223!

Moonwatcher here, trying to sharpen up his reviewing skills before Review Day! ^-^

Jumping into the review, the first thing I would like to bring up, is stanzas. Stanzas divide poems up, and make them easier to read, which in this case, I feel could benefit this poem if they were to be included. It could make the poem a lot less choppy, too.

Another thing I would like to point out is the use of rhyme and oh boy the amount of times i've brought this up before, is the use of rhyme. Well alright, there's subtle rhyme in the poem. The rhyming is your choice, but one thing I want to say is that not all poems have to rhyme. The rhyming, again, was your choice, but it seems to occur very often to people that poems have to rhyme, which they don't. My personal opinion on rhyme is that it is unnecessary, and although it may produce better flow throughout the poem, it can also constrict the use of the author's vocabulary, and limit the emotions and feelings that the author is trying to convey. Feel free to keep the rhyme, but I just thought it would be a good idea to let you know.

I feel as if here, the "In one teardrop" parts aren't really necessary. Feel free to keep them, but the poem sounds and works just fine without them. Perhaps maybe even only say "In one teardrop" once, but only once as it's own line.

Same thing here. The "you may not know it" part isn't really necessary, and the poem functions just fine without it. Again, maybe even just saying "you may not know it" once, and only once, as it's own line, could work just as fine.

The poem seems to repeat itself a lot. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but by doing this, you're just telling the reader the same thing over and over again, while not really trying to prove a point. Throughout the poem, I feel as if saying something just once is good enough for the reader. As for the repeated phrases, just try to come up with something different, just not the same thing over and over again.

The poem seems awfully generic, and doesn't present much originality. This could bore the reader, and make the poem not so memorable. I suggest taking what you have, and turning it into your own, turn your lines into something that represents you, and how you feel.

This is all I have to say. The poem was alright, but could use some improvements. I hope I helped you out, and keep on writing! :D

ghost223 says...

Some of these thing I disagree with, but others I will try to keep in mind as I continue to write, but everything you mentioned that I did in this poem, was intentionally done. I purposefully Wrote it to be choppy.

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:05 pm
Paradaux wrote a review...

Hey there! Here's a somewhat shorter review than I normally do but here we go;
In your first few lines you use 'Just a teardrop' but perhaps use 'Just a drop' seeing as it's the title just linking it back in there when you can is always healthy.

I really like this low key rhyming scheme it is very subtle in the way it rhymes and there isn't much of a metre that I could grasp upon anyway.

I love your Idea with teardrops and their representation, Positive and negative.
Grammar is 'on fleek' as the kids say now a days and I couldn't see any obvious errors on first glance which is always perferable.

I really like your idea it's almost a love poem of sorts and fits under the romantic genre. and I love how you seem to care for this individual unconditionally, you've both suffered the same trauma, same losses and you seem to be very close.

I would've liked to write more but I couldn't think of any other headings to write under, sorry D:

ghost223 says...

Thank you for your kind words. :)

It's a dramatic situation almost every time you answer the phone—if you answer the phone.
— Matthew Weiner