Animal

by dante93

In me there is a beast,
a monster,
a creature with but one
goal,
to destroy.

For years I've battled this
beast,
but for what?

For good?
For righteousness?

Battling this demon has
brought me nothing but misery,
nothing but pain,
nothing but suffering.

Now what is left of me?
What is left of my humanity?

I am numb to everything,
to everyone.

I cannot love,
I cannot feel happiness.
I only long.

I only yearn.
I move through this world
as a shell of who I once was.

What is left is simple,
animal,
that which I fought so
hard to destroy.

Now regret, sorrow,
and anger are my guides.

No light fills me.
No hope is present.

I am a soul,
broken by time,
and myself.

I've also posted this poem as a video on my youtube channel. Check it out. http://www.youtube.com/user/thearkangel12345?feature=mhum

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:08 am
Qoh16 says...

This was great. Feels like something i would write. This poem touched me in a very personal way. I dont know if that is good or bad but anyway great job.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:33 am
dante93 says...

I would also like to thank everyone for their support and reviews. It means a lot to me getting criticism from other writers. It has helped me improve tremendously.

dante93 says...

Than you. I really appreciate it.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:50 am
freewritersavvy says...

Wow, okay...I really appreciate the sound and feel of this piece! It is extremely well written. I must say the content strikes me as very sad, but in any case, good job!
~FW~

Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:43 am
dante93 says...

Thank you friend. I really appreciate it.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:03 am
popatemyheart1994 wrote a review...

So I read the poem and watched you read it out loud to make sure I got it from both angles and I have to say bravo, really. I found myself really drawn into the flow of the piece. It was like reading song lyrics the stanzas were so fluid and seemed to follow a steady beat, I could relate to what you were writing about very well. The theme of lonliness and also dealing with aspects of your own personality that is dark is very dear and true to me. All in all, I really liked this. I don't think you should change any of it. You are a fantastic writer my friend :) xx Matt

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."
— Chuck Palahniuk