Where the Phoenix Lays her Eggs

by Rydia

Where the Phoenix Lays her Eggs

Out of the ashes did a phoenix rise
while I was mooching through the underground,
she spoke to me and tried to criticise
my meth green vomit and the spliff I found.

While I was mooching through the underground
I came across a train that was alight.
“Dude, this vom's meth and here's a spliff I found,

they've made me crazed; I know this shit aint right.”

I came across a train that was alight
and stumbled to the wreckage up ahead.
I must be crazed 'cos man, this shit aint right”
but then the phoenix turned her blazing head.

I stumbled by the wreckage, then ahead,
Follow me to places great and far.”
The phoenix once again, she turned her head,
we climbed the stairs, she landed on a car.

Follow me to places great and far.”
We turned the corner to my neighbourhood,
we slid down stairs, she barbecued a car
and said something I almost understood.

the smog was clearing and I breathed out, ah!
She said something I almost understood
and for a moment looked just like my ma.

The smog was clearing and I screamed out argh!
She spoke to me and tried to criticise,
in a moment I knew it was my ma;
out of the ashes did a phoenix rise.

ladcat13 wrote a review...

Like murtuza said, the meaning is a little obscure. But I like it. And I like how it was written in a kind of meth-induced haze, like you can really tell that the narrator is high. And not just sloppily written for effect, because I can see that there is a subtle rhyme scheme and rhythm to it and that each word seems to fit in place. Very clever ;)

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:07 am
murtuza wrote a review...

Hey, Heather!

So. This poem took me a while and then some to actually figure out. Or maybe I haven't fully cracked it yet. xD Nevertheless, the first thing that hit me upon reading this was how it was riddled with numerous references. The structure I found here was pretty cool. Using every stanza's second line as the starting line for the next stanza was really nicely implemented and graduated the poem smoothly, but kept the riddle really riddle-y, still.

I personally dislike repetitive or recycled lines in poems. I just feel that it then gives a sort of excuse for the lines to rhyme again and a chance to use up space. Given the structure you've applied though, that could not be avoided. But that's not a point to worry over since it's just my personal taste. It's nice to see rhyme in a poem. Even though it's simplified rhyming, it's flow-y. There were a few places where syllable counts didn't match. And so those slightly prolonged lines sounded like they were trying a little hard, I felt.

I felt like this poem needed to be a two-sided poem. You've played around well with the words to match his wild hallucinations while having been being drugged and it was quite comedic. Though, what if you could somehow alter this poem and its state to make it look like something else at first but then have a different meaning altogether when the reader clearly analyzes each hidden meaning of each line. When I plainly read it just as it is, it makes quite little sense. I mean, if I had to understand this at the literal sense, I wouldn't know what was going on. This is too much to ask of, I'm sure, but I think this would turn out great as being one of those poems!

...
...

...

I really feel the 'ah' and 'argh' need to be dialogued. And the line - “I must be crazed 'cos man, this shit ain't right” seemed like it needed some punctuation. Perhaps a comma or period. But I'm guessing you've intended to keep it that way since your following line began with a non-capitalized word so either you meant for there not be any punctuation or you wanted a comma. I could well be wrong, but it just caught my and my curiosity.

I had noticed that the last three stanzas had larger spaces between them compared to the first four and I'm curious as to why you would have done so since I didn't think it to be necessary. Or maybe I'm forgetting a rule here somewhere about arrangement, probably?

This was a charming little piece and light on the load. It's nothing I'll be able to remember in the long run and I don't think this poem really expects me to, given its mood and its tone. It's nicely laid out for the readers to go in and properly take out what the poem has to give. I felt you could have taken advantage more of your artistic license, however. You could have experimented with the structure a bit and adopted a sort of double-sided meaning thing going on like I mentioned above.

Another thing I would have liked was for this poem to have a sort of moral at the end or a purpose for it being conveyed. Since all I see here is a man who smokes spliff and then hallucinates and the it's just an account of it all, really. It doesn't necessarily have to have a meaningful message attached to it and is still fine being goofy and pass-time-ish, though just that the opportunity of having an actual message after all the decoding done so far would have been a welcome incentive too; especially if it was portrayed in the right way keeping with the light-hearted mood of the poem.

I'm writing this quite late in the night, and I apologize in advance for any sort of misses I may have missed in my review or if I may have written something in the language of Gibberish. You can always PM for any questions!

You have mad skills, Heather. I need to read more of you. Do feel free to link me to any of your works, recent or old whenever you like, so I can learn from and appreciate those just as I've from this. Keep the ink flowing!

Murtuza
:)

Karzkin says...

Teehee XP This is classic.

Meshugenah says...

Dude. I love you. I can't bring myself to say anything remotely helpful. I'm giggling too hard. <3

barefootrunner wrote a review...

Hey Rydia!

This was hilarious! It reminded me of a guy I saw clutching at my fence and moaning to himself yesterday—either drunk or high. This poem made me able to smile about it, though it wasn't quite that funny at the time.

I love the way it spins in circles! The repetition and circulation of the lines is stunning. I felt slightly dizzy myself by the time I was done with it, and the surprising thing was the meter! I was not expecting it, especially so well implemented and in conjunction with the rhyme! The rhyme was fantastic, by the way. Not too in-your-face, but still making itself known. I cannot begin to imagine how much planning you did to get this to work! Basically I just wrote to gush over it and say that I am practically unable to find anything to criticise.

Oh, maybe, I don't know—I'm afraid that I'm just being stupid, but I could not understand the line "I stumbled to the wreckage up ahead." I think I figured the rest of the poem, but is this just the narrator's hallucinations, or is there really wreckage? What and why? Is there some metaphor I'm not catching?

And "aint" is spelt "ain't". I wouldn't be picking on this, except that I saw you spelt "'cos" with an apostrophe and thought you might yourself be really picky on spelling and grammar.

So, voila! Thank you for making me smile and gasp at your truly remarkable poem!

barefoot

Oooooh, now I see! The root of my confusion was the word "alight". It means both on fire, and, as a verb, to stop. I thought you meant that a train had just stopped there! Now I get it! It was just me being stupid!

The worst bullies you will ever encounter in your life are your own thoughts.
— Bryant McGill