z

Young Writers Society



The Story Of An Introvert-5

by NivedaJames22


Chapter 5

Ruth shot at an exasperated look at Talmeer as he whispered for the umpteenth time that he was bored. Unfortunately for him, their Biology teacher, Ms. Soem also heard this eloquently-worded comment.

"Talmeer, allow me to make things a little more, hmm, interesting. Answer this question for me, won't you?" Ms. Soem intervened sarcastically.

"Now, tell me Talmeer, what are proteins made up of?" she continued, obviously considering the last part of her question purely rhetorical.

Ruth tried to bail him out, and whispered, "Amino acids, Tal."

"Mean old acids, Ms. Soem," Talmeer answered without missing a beat.

"I asked you to explain the composition of a protein, not define your opinion of yourself Talmeer," Ms. Soem replied with a smirk.

Talmeer's ears turned a violent shade of pink, and Ruth tried unsuccessfully to not laugh. He sat down in a huff, strategically placing his foot on Ruth's in what can be described as a "playful kick."

Ruth did not provide him with a verbal response. Instead, she chose to hold her peace. For the time being, that is.

As soon as the bell rang, she deposited a neatly written note in his lap.

"This is to inform you that you are hereby relieved of the homework and study-buddy services of Ruth Gracie Mathew. The Nerd Agency has found you to be a displeasing customer, and hence recommends that you do not show your face in front of the Agency again. Disregard to this note shall be a grievous error on your part, and shall not be taken lightly by the Agency. All work that is due anytime after today will be transferred back to you without completion. The Agency hereby notes that if you attempt to renew your package, you shall be rewarded with a stamp on your enormous foot," Talmeer read out loud, his eyebrows raising themselves higher by the minute.

He looked up to see Ruth looking down at him with a self-satisfied smile on her smile. He remembered her saying that physical intimidation was a very big determining factor in any argument.

He raised himself to his full height, saying, "Well, two can play at that game."

Ruth's smile turned upside down, as she pursued her lips and protested, "Hey! No fair!"

"All is fair in love and war, milady," Talmeer said with a mock bow.

"And I consider this letter a declaration of war. So, everything is fair. Watch your back Ruth," he continued, drawing himself to his full height of five foot five, thereby dwarfing the Ruth's extremely short stature of four foot six. 

Ruth stared at him open-mouthed as he bowed deeply once again, and made his way out of the room with a majestic stance that would have done real knights proud. The only thing lacking was a sword that he could swing around in a flourishing motion and tuck safely in his hilt.

"Well, my gallant knight, may I remind thee that thy hast a twenty page folio on the character analysis of Shylock in the Merchant of Venice due tomorrow for the class conducted by the crone D'Souza," Ruth shouted after him, just as he was about to close the door behind him.

Talmeer turned around dramatically, as if he was about to wield his fictional sword. In an almost anti-climatic moment, he changed his stance, falling to his knees with his hands folded in front of him in a gesture that exuded a plea for mercy.

"Milady knows that I know and mean nothing. I am but a fool in the face of thine renowned wits. To even attempt the perilous endeavor of creating a folio for the crone D'Souza while thou art applying thine nimble wits to the task would be folly itself! I entreat thee to take pity on this hapless knight, and aid him in the creation of this folio," Talmeer paused to look up at Ruth's expression.

On seeing her expressionless poker face, he gave up.

"Ruth, I was kidding with a capital K. Please don't kick me out from the Nerd Agency. I've been a patron for so long..." his voice faded out, as he looked at her with a fear of impending doom in his eyes. 

Ruth raised an eyebrow slowly, taking her own sweet time with it. Then she burst out laughing. 

"Oh gosh! You should have seen your face, Tal!" Ruth exclaimed, her laughter subsiding as she fell into a coughing fit.

Talmeer looked at her, his face an epitome of concern.

"Ruth, you sound pretty horrible. Are you sure you're going to be okay? D'you want to pop over to the nurse's?" he asked, concern dripping from his every word.

Ruth shook her head violently, and the nearly subdued coughs returned more powerfully than before.

"Don't bother. It's not too bad," she eventually managed.

"Hey Ruth, quick question. Do we really have to submit a report on Shylock tomorrow?" Talmeer demanded, once he was certain that she had recovered.

"You got me there Ruth," he said, throwing his arms up in mock surrender as a he saw the surprisingly innocent look on her face, and realized that she had been having him the whole while.

"As thee mentioned, my gallant knight, thou art but a fool in the face of my renowned wits. Fooling thee is child's play to mine mind. Thou art but a coxcomb with naught in thy head," Ruth said sweetly, folding her arms together in front with a satisfied smile.

"You really do have a great opinion of yourself, don't you?" Talmeer retorted, smiling despite of himself.

Ruth didn't get a chance to reply, as a highly excitable looking woman walked in, talking on her phone in a shrill, high pitched voice.

"Children! Give me your physics notebooks. Come on children, why are you making me wait like this? Hand me the books, children! I have thousands of other things to do! Do you think I have all the time in the world to sit here and chat with you? I have to do this, I have to do that, I only have to do everything around here! If I wasn't here, no, this place would fall into bits and pieces! Nothing will ever go right if I left Oh, did you hear that? Right and left! I'm hilarious! And where exactly are your notebooks? I can't wait around here for you silly little children to fetch your books. You, tiny girl, and you, baggy trousers, bring the notebooks to the staff room on the second floor by the next break," she said, pointing to Ruth and Anna.

If anyone in the class had assumed that the crazy lady's little show was over, they were proved wrong when she whipped out a bright pink lipstick and proceeded to apply it over her lips sloppily. When she was done, she surveyed her reflection in one of the not-so clean windows, and smacked her lips in satisfaction. 

Then, she sashayed out of the room, leaving behind a group of dumbstruck students.

Ruth and Anna exchanged glances, and went about collecting notebooks. Obviously, Ananya and Vivek, two over-achieving and overly competitive individuals, had to turn that into a competition, insisting that their own books be placed right on top of the pile. Finally, an infuriated Ruth placed her own book on top, silencing both of them with a look. 

"Whew! If looks could kill," Talmeer whistled, and received one of those glances from Ruth for his carefully considered little tune. 

Anna and Ruth then went out, Ruth slamming the door behind her.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
76 Reviews


Points: 1285
Reviews: 76

Donate
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:23 am
Phillauthet says...



I simply have to say, I love how you incorporated that height difference into your story. I mean, it's so irritating! I'm a 5'2, good height for a 13-year-old, but many of the guys are taller. I intimidate with my muscle and brain.






Tell me about it! I'm fifteen and four foot eleven, and I haven't really grown since I was twelve.



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:58 pm
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi NivedaJames22,

Mailice here with a short review! :D

Let's get right into what I really liked about the chapter:

You did an excellent job with the interaction between Ruth and Talmeer. Not only did you pull it off realistically and convincingly, but I could really sink into the little game they were playing, as there were moments like that in my school days. I really liked the fact that Ruth was also more communicative, precisely because she came up with something where she herself is not the main character. You did a great job of portraying it that way. I'm also still a little surprised that Talmeer went along with it, probably because he was afraid he wouldn't get any more help. I also think one already saw a bit more about Talmeer in the last chapter, that he is not just a serious fellow. As I said, a great portrayal of the characters.

"Mean old acids, Ms. Soem," Talmeer answered without missing a beat.
"I asked you to explain the composition of a protein, not define your opinion of yourself Talmeer," Ms. Soem replied with a smirk.


I think this one will be my particular highlight of this chapter because it's just so funny and also real. The teacher in particular seemed very genuine with her response. That's also the point why I like the story, that it seems real and you can understand the relationships.

Talmeer looked at her, his face an epitome of concern.


This is a very great sentence and I have never read the combination of "epitome" and "concern" before. But it fits together very well in context.

"Children! Give me your physics notebooks. Come on children, why are you making me wait like this? Hand me the books, children! I have thousands of other things to do! Do you think I have all the time in the world to sit here and chat with you? I have to do this, I have to do that, I only have to do everything around here! If I wasn't here, no, this place would fall into bits and pieces! Nothing will ever go right if I left Oh, did you hear that? Right and left! I'm hilarious! And where exactly are your notebooks? I can't wait around here for you silly little children to fetch your books. You, tiny girl, and you, baggy trousers, bring the notebooks to the staff room on the second floor by the next break," she said, pointing to Ruth and Anna.


I can totally understand what you were trying to achieve with this passage, but I think it seems a bit over the top. I have the impression that the lady herself pulls everything too much into theatricality, which seems a little out of place here. Shortening this section a bit would not be wrong I think.

In summary, I can say that the chapter presents a very slow section. I liked how the characters interacted and you could see a new kind of relationship, but I also think you could have read a bit more. After all, I can imagine that this chapter represents maybe half an hour at most. Nevertheless, I think it's a great chapter! You continue to have a great way of writing and I like following the story.


Have fun writing!

Mailice.






Thanks for reviewing! (:

Yeah, that paragraph is a little too long. I have to break it up or something.



User avatar
137 Reviews


Points: 21503
Reviews: 137

Donate
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:45 am
View Likes
stygianmoon17 wrote a review...



Hey there :)

Now I haven't read the precedent chapters as I am an extremely lazy person, so I'll not talk too much about pace, and development of characters and plot- but just analyse this chapter as a standalone. Now that that's out of the way..

Wow the humour is incredible in this chapter, I kept smiling all along which is something that makes the reading of a short story so much more enjoyable. The characters felt very real and although I don't know much about them since I didn't read the other chapters, they still felt likeable and interacted in a very believable way.
I didn't really get the plot through this one chapter, which is kinda normal since I didn't read the other chapters, but is also kinda weird since all chapters should advance the plot. Unless the plot is something like "the main character is trying to stay in the Nerd Agency"

I also didn't really get who Ruth is to Talmeer. I thought she was a teacher maybe, but the way she joked with him made it seem they were almost the same age. So I thought she might be a person that schools other students in need ? Like for maths or other complicated subjects ? But I just didn't get either their age or what their relationship is.

Also,

Talmeer, allow me to make things a little more, hmm, interesting. Answer this question for me, won't you?" Ms. Soem intervened sarcastically.

You forgot the " at the beginning of the sentence

Nothing will ever go right if I left. Oh, did you hear that? Right and left! I'm hilarious!

I'm dying xD
The big block of text when she says that was still a tad too long to read, so I kinda just skimmed through it since I got the idea. So to hold our attention during the whole time she speaks, maybe try breaking it up in parts and doing something like,

"Children! Give me your physics notebooks. Come on children, why are you making me wait like this? Hand me the books, children!
I have thousands of other things to do! Do you think I have all the time in the world to sit here and chat with you?
I have to do this, I have to do that, I only have to do everything around here!
If I wasn't here, no, this place would fall into bits and pieces! Nothing will ever go right if I left Oh, did you hear that? Right and left! I'm hilarious!
And where exactly are your notebooks? I can't wait around here for you silly little children to fetch your books.
You, tiny girl, and you, baggy trousers, bring the notebooks to the staff room on the second floor by the next break," she said, pointing to Ruth and Anna.


or then

"Children! Give me your physics notebooks. Come on children, why are you making me wait like this? Hand me the books, children!
I have thousands of other things to do! Do you think I have all the time in the world to sit here and chat with you?
I have to do this, I have to do that, I only have to do everything around here!
If I wasn't here, no, this place would fall into bits and pieces! Nothing will ever go right if I left Oh, did you hear that? Right and left! I'm hilarious!" she looked around but seeing no one was laughingg, she continued sighing deeply.

"And where exactly are your notebooks? I can't wait around here for you silly little children to fetch your books.
You, tiny girl, and you, baggy trousers, bring the notebooks to the staff room on the second floor by the next break," she said, pointing to Ruth and Anna.


It makes it easier to read and flows much easier than a giant block of text

Have fun writing the rest <33






Thanks for pointing out those errors. I'll change them soon. :D

No, the "Nerd Agency" is just a joke. Ruth and Talmeer are the same age, and their friends. Ruth is pretty smart, so she occasionally helps him out with homework and stuff...That's what I meant.

Thanks for reviewing! (:





ohhh ok xD
you're welcome :P




I would be a terrible novel protagonist.
— mellifera