z

Young Writers Society



Childhood Plans

by NivedaJames22


I remember back when

We'd sit together for lunch everyday

And joke about sweet nothings

And blow bubbles in our drink.

~

Sometimes I miss those days

Like when we'd chase after butterflies

And lie down on soft grass and I'd say

That grass gives me philosophy.

~~

You'd smile at me and I'd believe

That nothing could ever go wrong

As long as there was you and me,

The world would be okay.

~

I saw a man playing a guitar yesterday

And remembered when we planned

To run away to some faraway place

And spread music in the streets.

~

I think about those magical days,

When we'd lie in the glow of the sun

And dream about the glorious things

That we'd do when we're grow up.

~

And now all I have left are memories

Of all those wonderful days.

Now that we're adults, I've got to say,

Nothing went according to our plan.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 119
Reviews: 7

Donate
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:14 am
KassandraRose wrote a review...



This was an awesome poem! It’s interesting because I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what I want to do with my life. But not just that, but about how much my thoughts about the world have changed. And also about how my plans for life have evolved. I think this poem captures the essence of being young and learning through life that nothing goes as planned. I like how well the stanzas flow together. The way you ordered the lines made it feel like a story. I love the imagery that you create with your lines about blowing bubbles in drinks, and spreading music in the streets. Great job, and keep up the good work!






Thank you! (:



User avatar
26 Reviews


Points: 29
Reviews: 26

Donate
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:53 am
View Likes
nightshadows wrote a review...



AWWWWW!!!! THIS IS SO CUTE!!! ok so this is kinda ironic but my crush remembered me from when we were kids *laughs*
So i just love this poem because every kid is like, "OH MY GOSH I WANT TO BE A NURSE AND BALLERINA AND FIREFIGHTER!!!! A NURSE BALLERINA FIREFIGHTER!!!PERFECT"
As a kid a lot of us did make plans like going to the moon and going back in time. And of course we can't leave out kindergarten love.
I absolutely love this poem cant even find anything to criticize! Awesome job!






Thank you!
I'm glad you liked it! (:



nightshadows says...


Hahahaha I am quite glad too lol :D



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 106
Reviews: 16

Donate
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:50 am
View Likes
Ilium417 wrote a review...



Ilium here for a review!
This was an awesome poem, bro! I've been thinking about this a lot recently and the way you put it into words is glorious.
The structure was really nice. You built up to the ending, first through memories, then dreams, all the way to adulthood. I love how you put specific memories but were still kind of ambiguous whether the friendship was romantic or just a really good frienship. Especially the ending, where you don't say whether you are still friends or not. Sometimes ambiguity hurts, but it really helps this time! Like, "hey, it didn't go as planned, but is it really bad?" Instead of making people think they are reading a story, they begin reminiscing themselves.
Also, being able to write so well from the perspective of an adult at so young is really impressive. Combined with the way you are able to illustrate scenes, you have a gift!
Please keep writing! Peace and Tacos be with you!






About the young thing, I mean, isn't the whole point of writing being able to get what other people feel without actually feeling it yourself?

Thank you! Glad you liked it! (:




I always knew that deep down in every human heart, there is mercy and generosity. No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
— Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom