our lives are the waves

by NivedaJames22

and our lives are the waves, crashing onto the shore

with all our might, exhausting our strength,

but to what avail? our voices are lost in the chorus;

just another scream for help no one hears,

just another plea that goes unheaded,

and at the the end of it we retreat to the beyond the horizon,

to the place from where we all arrived, in wistful silence.

but then we try again another day, forgetting that we had made the same mistake,

refusing to learn what we all must learn, that nothing is going to change.

there is no beginning, there is no end,

only superficial, meaningless existence,

and then we crash onto the shore again, exhausting all our strength.

Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:35 am
Plume wrote a review...

Hey there! Plume here, with a review!!

Oh man. You did such a great job of conveying a feeling of utter hopelessness through your words. I loved all your descriptive imagery; I think your word choice was especially strong. It worked really nicely to create this piece of hopelessness and despair. Really nice work!!

One thing I absolutely loved was the flow. I think you did a super nice job with that nearly circular ending, going back to the phrase "crash onto the shore" and "exhausting all our strength." It really encapsulated that feel of doing the same thing over again and not learning from mistakes and the despair that comes with it. Starting your beginning with "and" also lent itself to the idea that the readers were coming into something already in progress, furthering those ideas of the same cycle. I think your consistent line length was also really lovely and served to build up that rhythm and poetic-ness really nicely.

I loved how you related it to the waves, too. Swimming tirelessly really encapsulates hopelessness as well, especially the fatigue that comes along with it. Your metaphors throughout the poem were absolutely lovely and worked so well to further the overall mood and tone of your poem. My interpretation of this would be something along the lines of people being stuck in a hard situation. It just speaks of that despair and hopelessness that creeps up when it seems like there's no way out of a situation, and that only makes the stuck feeling even worse.

Overall: I really enjoyed this poem! I think you did a really nice job of encapsulating the emotions involved, and your flow and formatting were absolutely delightful in selling those emotions. I hope to read more of your poetry soon! Until next time!!

Hey Plume!!

Starting your beginning with "and" also lent itself to the idea that the readers were coming into something already in progress, furthering those ideas of the same cycle.

AHh thank you!!! I'm so glad you got that point!

Thanks for the review! (:

Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:38 am
AriesBookworm wrote a review...

Sometimes, we can feel so drowned out by other people. As an introvert, I can relate to that last line. Introverts rarely talk unless they have something important to say, when people don't listen to us, it often becomes frustrating.

just another plea that goes unheaded,

Again, this feels like a person who's ideas keep on getting shut down. They begin to wonder what's even the point of trying to speak up when no one seems to listen.

there is no beginning, there is no end,

Every day, the person tries to speak up, only to get shut down. Every day they tell themselves that it'll all be different, even thought they feel like they're lying to themselves.

Thank you for sharing your interpretation! (:

Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:20 pm
Ivan_155 says...

I found it quite interesting. Correct me if I am wrong, but I interpret the meaning to be that our efforts have no effect. I believe you are very good at writing. I hope to read more poems from you.

Thank you! I'm glad you found it interesting! (:

Carpe Diem
— Catullus