z

Young Writers Society


18+ Violence

Williwaw Chapter 10

by Messenger


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for violence.

Devlin chanced a glance toward the back of the cave where the townspeople were huddling, shoving and yelling frantically. Some stood moitonless, eyes wide, faces blank of expression, no doubt expecting to die. Children clung to parents legs like leeches, and the older folks who had managed to get away the first time now hung back as the first of group began slipping through a hole in the back wall that Devlin hadn’t noticed previously.

He turned his attention to the cave entrance where the first two Sadorians had come through to meet their unexpected demise. He was sure the rest would follow. And if the black knight arrived-

It’ll all be over.

Devlin gripped the handle of his blade, twirling it once in a slow sweeping motion, a habit he realized as a child he would do when nervous. It used to be his father’s pickaxe heads as he pretend fought invisible enemies. He had never dreamed he would be wielding a blood-stained blade. But here he was.

He wiped the sweat from his brow. No matter how cold it was, it seemed that once he got moving he would begin to sweat. And yet he felt a chill down his spine. The whole day had been a mess. In one day he had gone from a mediator of peace between those of his own army to a desperate soldier killing anything in his path to stay alive.

A clang of metal from the entrance brought back the pit in his stomach. It was a sinking feeling that had never quite left him. The prospect of actually dying wasn’t one he was familiar- or comfortable- with. There was so much left to do. So many things to accomplish. He grit his teeth, inhaling deep and exhaling with a growl. If he was going down, it wasn’t going to be without a fight.

The Sadorian broke into his view, armed with a sword and a shield the size of a wagon wheel. Devlin took a step back, nearly stumbling over a divot in the frozen ground. He let out a slight “ah” as it happened. The Sadorian smiled. Two big rows of yellow teeth, surrounded by an overflowing brown beard. It looked more like a bear than a man.

The Sadorian took no time to consider strategy, but simply rushed Devlin, shield first, ignoring his dead companions. He let out a hoarse cry that exploded in the cave. Devlin nearly was plowed over in the rush, but he side-stepped to the right with a sharp breath. The Sadorian was much quicker than anticipated for his well-over-six foot frame.

Devlin threw a glance at the cave entrance, making sure to keep both it and the Sadorian in his view. He could hear the scramble as the rest of the townspeople wriggled through the hole in the wall. He held his sword with both hands high at his side. He wracked his brain desperately for a way to break down a shielded opponent, but everything fleed his brain.

This is bad.

The Sadorian lunged with the sword straight at Devlin who parried it away. A slight opening cracked for a moment when the Sadorian lunged forward and brought the shield ever so slightly toward his hip, creating a narrow gap between shield and sword near his rib cage. Devlin hopped back on the balls of his feet as the shield came swirling for his head. He was losing ground and there were still townsfolk in the cave.

He tried a feint toward the left, intending to go right, but the Sadorian’s sword swing arced so far from side to side that Devlin was forced to meet it just inches from his face. He grunted as the blades clashed and the strength of the swing reverberated down his arm. The Sadorian slid forward in a heartbeat, forcing the swords hilt-to-hilt. Devlin watched as the shield came from the left like a battering ram.

Devlin had been launched through the air once before when he was a young child. His father had convinced him to mount a stallion, and after much persuading, he had agreed. The result had been less than flattering as Devlin had fallen off and been nearly trampled in the process. That feeling of powerlessness took control of him for the first time since then. The shield caught him across the right shoulder blade and he spiraled through the air, colliding with two more bodies that tumbled under the barrage of an incoming person.

The two persons went down beneath Devlin, severely lessening the ground impact, but his should and back exploded in a white-hot pain that ran up and down his arm like firebolts. Devlin whimpered as he was hauled up by the Sadorian and flung back into the ground nearly a yard away. The entire world spun as Devlin exclaimed in pain. He came to stop on his back. He struggled to open his eyes and immediately regretted doing so. The Sadorian was ripping his word from the back of one of the two bodies that he could only guess he had knocked over. The second body had a sword buried in their back. Devlin swallowed hard as he realized it was own blade.

The two bodies were both old. Elders of Potter’s Creek, butchered by that maniac. Devlin tried to sit up, but as he attempted to put weight on his right arm it collapsed in an explosion of pain and he crumpled on his side.

Not like this.

He could hear the padded steps as the Sadorian lumbered over in no significant hurry. Devlin tried rolling on his left and managed, with another yelp of pain, to raise himself to his knees. He turned to the Sadorian and received a boot to the face sending him reeling back into the wall. His head hit something hard and cold and everything was black. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Carris pushed herself to the front of the townspeople who pressed through the passageway. She stumbled to the front where Gwyn was guiding her mother by the arm. She turned to Carris, eyes wide.

“What do we do?”

“We keep going. There was a big cavern up ahead.” Carris put her hands to her head. Where do we go after that?

Gwyn’s voice shook. “There are monsters in here Carris, I can feel it.”

Carris whipped towards Gwyn. “We don’t have a choice! I don’t know what else to do.”

Gwyn recoiled toward her mother at those words.

Carris sighed, her entire chest heaving. “I’m sorry Gwyn, I just-”

A scream from the back of the group caused them to spin.

“Run! Sadorians!”

The group surged forward instantly, and Carris did all she could to not be trampled in the instantaneous stampede. She was pushed more than freely walked into the large cavern they had seen previously. With the lone torch from Gwyn Carris’s eyes began to adjust to the new space. Despite the mob of footsteps, there was the distinct plink of water dripping to the cave floor. A low gurgle off to the left reminded Carris of the rush of water just before the waterfall.

It’s too cold for water to flow down here...

Carris shook her head. Focus!

She grabbed the torch from Gwyn’s hand, staying just ahead of the group as they stumbled in the near dark. The cavern was large enough that the walls disappeared in a shroud of darkness. The townspeople hurried forward, driven more by fear than common sense. One stumbled, catching the older man in front of them. Within seconds a half dozen people were strewn on the cold ground, grunting and struggling to get up, frantic for survival.

A loud yell from behind Carris caused her to turn. The silhouette of someone large lined the entrance to the cavern. The flickering lights in the backs danced with the shadows of least another three or four Sadorians. Carris turned to Gwyn.

“Run!”

Gwyn froze. “W-w-where?” she stumbled over the words, tears springing to her eyes.

Carris tossed the torch to her. “I don’t know. Just run! Follow the crowd.

Now nearly invisible in the blackness, eyes adjusting to no torch, Carris turned to the left, moving at what felt like a slow crawl, hands out feeling for any unseen obstruction. She felt the gritty wall prick her hands and began to use it as a guide away from the cavern entrance where the Sadorians were rushing through. Their torches lit up the cave, revealing the party of townspeople moving as one off to the right.

Now, with five more torches in the cavern, Carris began to put the layout together. It was at least a hundred feet wide to the left, right and center of where she stood, mostly clear of debris. There was an ever-so-dim light coming from above and to the left, the same direction as the dripping sound. Carris followed the imaginary line from the roof cave to the floor, where she now saw the shiny glimmer of ice and the reflections of water.

That should be frozen.

Carris felt the panic rise in her throat. Perhaps Gwyn was right. Perhaps there was a monster. She’d heard stories of underground monsters, hideous, scaly, ferocious ones. Carris stumbled over something that clattered on the ground. It sounded like pottery. Like shells on a chain that you could rattle. Or perhaps not shells. Perhaps...

Bones.

A scream echoed all about the cave, bouncing off every wall. Carris felt a chill run down her spine. That was no human scream. Carris froze, pressed against the wall. She noticed that even the Sadorians hesitated. The torches flickered back and forth. There was a low snarl that wrapped around the cavern. It came from everywhere and yet nowhere.

Then there was a crunch above Carris. She felt a small rock bounce off her shoulder and nearly bolted from her spot, but her legs would not move. Another crunch and more debris pelted her hair. She held her breath as she a felt a presence above her. A wave of warm breath rolled over her like a gentle breeze.

Carris’s legs were shaking and her palms were covered in sweat despite the frigid temperature. She stared straight at the Sadorians who were flailing their torches back and forth, searching for the unseen threat. A shadows fell across Carris from above. Something sharp dug itself into the wall just an inch from her left arm and she pulled it across her chest instinctively. The monster stopped, scaly belly draped over Carris’s head. Something wet dripped onto her cheek and slid off.

It took all of her will to not scream, but she couldn’t contain the rest of her body and piss ran down her pant leg. She put her left hand to her mouth, chest heaving. The monster still did not move. She could hear its heavy breathing, could hear the snout sniffing the air. There was an amber glow coming from its belly that rocked back and forth just inches from Carris’s face.

Why won’t it move?

The dark coils of it slithered past at last, but Carris waited for it to turn back on her, devouring her in a swarm of sharp teeth and talons. It landed with a light touch, barely making a sound on the frozen ground. It was beautiful. Dreadful. But beautiful.

The dragon hunched itself low to the ground, inching toward the pack of townspeople and Sadorians like a cat about to pounce, but with all the guile of a serpent. The Sadorians had turned their attention back to their task of hunting down the survivors, and by this time were on the other side of the cave. They hadn’t caught up with their prey yet. And they might not.

The dragon spread its wings out inch by inch as it crept forward. Carris pressed harder against the wall, wishing that could simply turn into of the shadows in the vast cavern. Her chest heaved back and forth, and all she could think was that the dragon would turn and incinerate her. Dragons were notorious for their ferocity and lack of compassion for their prey.

But this dragon was different. It seemed to feel its way along the cave floor, brushing against rocks and dips in the ground with its wings, as if unsure of its surroundings.

As if its blind.

Dragons had incredible eyesight. Their other senses were sharp as well, but nothing like the eyes that could pick out moving targets from several hundred feet in the air, moving at high speeds. It puts hawks and eagles to shame. But this dragon had none of that. Carris wasn’t sure if a wounded dragon was a good thing. A hurt beast is a volatile beast.

The dragon let out another low growl. It was sounded more like a gurgle. Like a bubble underneath the ice finally escaping. But as low in pitch as it was, the growl seemed to resonate through the cave and into Carris’s very frame. She whimpered. The dragon turned, pointed ears pricked high on its obtuse head. It’s mouth slowly opened. a light within the dragon glowed, revealing a row of razor-sharp teeth and a long forked tongue. The head of the dragon back, poised to strike like a snake. Carris gulped.

What have I done?

The glow rose from the belly, up the throat, revealing a dark emerald color-scale pattern. This was no mountain dragon.

“It’s a fire-breathing Windtopper,” Carris whispered to herself. “I’m no piece of firewood.”

Her heart pounded again, the first time she noticed it, and she glanced to the left where the half-frozen pool of water lapped against the rocky ground just twenty feet away. The dragon let out a screech to wake the dead. Carris screamed and shoved off the wall. She felt the heat rather than saw it, and bolted for the pool, flinging herself into it with a prayer that it was more than just a few inches deep.

The water smacked her like a hammer and she inhaled a sharp breath, choking on the water, fighting the urge to lose control of her functions. She shut her eyes as she continued to cough in her soon-to-be watery grave. She concentrated on the movement of pushing herself to the surface. A warm wave of water rolled over her as she breached the surface. She was wiping the hair and water from her eyes as pushed herself up, gulping in air, only to cough as the cold air flooded her lungs.

The dragon towered over the pool, head coiled back, the glowing spiraling up its throat again. Carris’s eyes went wide. She took a deep breath and was diving again, kicking with all her might.

Thank Vorga that Malcolm taught me to swim.

A warm current traveled past Carris’s body as she dove until her hands struck something sharp unexpectedly. She let out a yelp and immediately choked, fire burning her lungs. She felt around, slower until she felt the rock she must have struck. She grabbed it with both hands, anchoring herself to the ground. She waited for what seemed like an eternity, despite counting just fifteen.

She pushed off, the water flooding her lungs. She had waited too long. She fought back the tingle of panic rising up her chest and kept flailing. Everything began to go black. A peace came over Carris as she reached for the unseen surface. Nothing but water. Then she felt it, the slight breeze over her soaked hand. Her head broke the surface and she inhaled deeper than ever before, coughing up water that sent a pain like that of a branding iron through her throat. She tried to think straight, flicking her head side to side. The dragon was nowhere to be seen a shout from the Sadorians told Carris all she needed to know.

Gwyn!

She hauled herself out of the water, every muscle aching, body shaking from the cold. Carris grit her teeth. If she made it out of this night alive she was never living anywhere cold again. Ever. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1485 Reviews


Points: 154066
Reviews: 1485

Donate
Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:43 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame wrote a review...



I've made it to double digits! Gonna keep this one short and sweet because you've already got a lot of reviews on this one.

You do a really good job of building the tension in this chapter! Although I can't think of a point where we've had not much tension at all this brings it from kind of a mid level to a real threat. I didn't at all expect there to be a dragon in this cave. I kind of got the impression we weren't all too far from where the town used to stand before Devlin got it destroyed so I can't help but wonder how nobody noticed a dragon was living there. I mean, they're not small and presumably it needs to leave the cave to hunt or stretch or something?

The dragon also makes the Sadorians look like a tiny threat in comparison; I like how that's come through because with introducing a threat so early on, it was going to be hard to keep the Sadorians fearsome I think. So the dragon intro here helps!

Carris does seem to casually know a lot about dragons, so I have questions about how much magic is integrated into the world already. Devlin didn't even know if it existed so I guess it's not too commonplace? But now Carris seems pretty knowledgeable so that surprised me.

That's all for this chapter, catch you for the next one!




User avatar
80 Reviews


Points: 637
Reviews: 80

Donate
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:33 pm
View Likes
dragonight9 wrote a review...



Just wanted to say I liked the dragon portion of this chapter a lot. You have a very good way of describing what is happening in a full bodied way. I could 'feel' it in a sense.

I like the idea of dragons being kind but they are with out a doubt terrifying. I very much liked your description of its movements as "a cat about to pounce, but with the guile of a serpent."

Could I use this in my own work?

I'm very intrigued to look at your other works as well.




User avatar
219 Reviews


Points: 31478
Reviews: 219

Donate
Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:21 pm
View Likes
AmayaStatham wrote a review...



Hey Hey!



Image

Your friendly neighbourhood Rinisha is back here for another intriguing chapter of Williwaw📚!

Buckle up, 'cause I’m going to keep it short alright!✨

All in all

This party rocked, let's take a quick look!

I have reached my first milestone with Williwaw, the tenth chapter! Gosh, Dragon! This is getting wild, I still wonder if you are going to take this in the direction of magic.

Poor Carris, I hope she gets out of there. She should not meet her end like this. And Devlin, on the other hand, has just been knocked out by a Sadorian. Oh dear, what will happen to him?

I think you do a great job of keeping the suspense in there, because when I read about the dragon I was hoping that the beast was dead and above all NOT hungry.

You could work on:✒️

Over here I think you mean motionless right.

Devlin chanced a glance toward the back of the cave where the townspeople were huddling, shoving and yelling frantically. Some stood [/b]moitonless >> motionless[/b], eyes wide, faces blank of expression, no doubt expecting to die. Children clung to parents legs like leeches, and the older folks who had managed to get away the first time now hung back as the first of group began slipping through a hole in the back wall that Devlin hadn’t noticed previously.


The description of the Dragon's eyesight is very well written. I like the way you describe everything in detail and even the comparisons with the eagles and hawks.

Dragons had incredible eyesight. Their other senses were sharp as well, but nothing like the eyes that could pick out moving targets from several hundred feet in the air, moving at high speeds. It puts hawks and eagles to shame. But this dragon had none of that. Carris wasn’t sure if a wounded dragon was a good thing. A hurt beast is a volatile beast.


Be sure to check out…📔🔖

Shadow's Rising: Prologue by @dragonight9

This author writes various amazing stories about dragons, so if you want to get some inspiration. You should definitely read some of his work.

Have a nice day or night further! Keep writing! You are amazing!

Amazingly yours,
Rinisha
– Be yourself and keep writing! 📖🎉




dragonight9 says...


Thanks for tagging me, I actually really enjoyed reading this.



User avatar
278 Reviews


Points: 18564
Reviews: 278

Donate
Thu May 27, 2021 5:38 pm
View Likes
LittleLee wrote a review...



Gosh, that was a great chapter!

Devlin's action sequence was quite well written, although I maintain that he should have had the sense to plug the bottle cap entrance. I like the fact that he was taken down eventually; stories with protagonists that aren't destructive demigods with their weapon are much more enjoyable than others.

It was at least a hundred feet wide to the left, right and center of where she stood, mostly clear of debris. There was an ever-so-dim light coming from above and to the left, the same direction as the dripping sound. Carris followed the imaginary line from the roof cave to the floor, where she now saw the shiny glimmer of ice and the reflections of water.

That should be frozen.

Ahhhhh this was done extremely well! It shows how quick Carris is to analyse the situation and also creates an amazing tension!

I expected that there would be something in the cave, but didn't think it would have been a blind dragon. While I don't know enough of this world to comment, I'd like to ask one thing; how did nobody notice that there was a dragon next door? Did it never come out to hunt? And how are there bones in the smaller cavern if it couldn't fit through the passage connecting the two?

Anyway.

I loved it when Carris looks at the dragon, terrified, and the one thought that surfaces to her mind is what species/kind it is.
It was really tense and nerve-racking when she discovers it; that scene was so well written! I could feel her fear seep into me. It was enjoyable and thrilling every step of the way.

The ending felt very abrupt, though. It's something I've noticed; your chapters shift in the middle of an event/situation, which makes me wonder why you separated them in the first place. Or maybe you did it just here on YWS. I suggest you combine chapters that pick up immediately where the previous left off. I hope that makes sense.

This chapter was by far my favourite out of all those that I've read. Great job, keep it up!

~Lee




User avatar
453 Reviews


Points: 825
Reviews: 453

Donate
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:49 am
View Likes
Lib wrote a review...



Hiya!

Back to review once again. c:

Firstly: DRAGON OMG. I was not excpecting that. I knew there was going to be a ferocious animal(s), like, I dunno, a bear, a pack of wolves, etc., but WOW A DRAGON. =D

Speaking of dragons: since they are magical creatures, wouldn't that mean that the town is aware of magic so far? Ten chapters have passed and not a single word about magic or mythical creatures and that made me feel as if they don't live in such a world. ...And then we get a dragon...and it seems perfectly normal...and Carris knows what species it is?? I saw that as pretty odd. So yeah, just pointing that out. =)

Also your action scenes are pretty cool! I like that you don't only have the actions of what the character is doing, but you have memories (like the stallion) and the emotions and everything.

And Carris's mom died. D= And in front of Carris, which makes it even worse, oh my god. She feels sad but she doesn't cry. Aww. <3 Just wanna make her some cookies and hug her.

Now that I'm done the general commenting, I want to so badly nit-pick, but alas, my fingers won't let me tonight so I thought I'd leave you with a couple of words that make a sentence: Make sure to skim through your piece before you post to avoid minor errors like spelling/grammar/typos/and sometimes even mistakes with tenses (which I noticed you did in one or two chapters). :)

Also, I noticed you did have some sentences where you repeated words, but I'm not gunna go through them since Shady already helped you out with that.

Anyway, I'm done with this review. Hope this helped in some sort of way. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me!

And as always...

Keep on writing!

~Liberty




Messenger says...


In this world, there are more creatures than what we have on earth, but they aren't magical



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:58 am
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Hey Messenger!

Shady back with another review for you this fine afternoon. As I mentioned in the previous one I am thoroughly out of clever openings to use, so I'm not even going to attempt it on this one. Let's just jump straight on in to the review, shall we? Getting started...

Two big rows of yellow teeth, surrounded by an overflowing brown beard. It looked more like a bear than a man.


Ew. That's a gross description but it's also excellent. Very vivid mental image.

The entire world spun as Devlin exclaimed in pain.


Are you getting tired of my nitpicks yet? lol I recognize that these are anal things to be pointing out, but you don't have any glaring character flaws or pacing issues or serious grammatical errors for me to point out, so I kinda gotta go for the small things that I pick up on.

So, "exclaimed in pain" is... sufficient. But it's not overly urgent, you know? Like "yelped" or "screamed" or words like that convey more of a sense of, well, pain. "Exclaimed" is generally better used for like surprise. It's not a super strong word in a context like this, and I think you'd improve this section if you found a way to re-word this bit.

~ ~ ~

DRAGON!!! That's so exciting!! I was not expecting to see a dragon! Wouldn't the townspeople kind of have an idea if a dragon was living so close to their city? I mean, I guess not, if it was blind and stayed mostly in the cave. But still. That's such a cool surprise!

I need more dragon time! I'm off to the next chapter!

Keep writing!

~Shady 8)




User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144550
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:38 am
View Likes
alliyah wrote a review...



Hi again Messenger! It's been a while!

I'm in a review contest this month, so hopefully will be able to get to some of your chapters that I've been meaning to read. - Keep tagging me regardless (I don't mind, and do try to at least skim when you post, even if I don't have time to review/comment).

So one thing I find it sort of odd that while Devlin is describing how nervous he is, he also seems like calm? Or non-nonchalant waiting. It might just be the pace and content of his thoughts, but waiting around and considering childhood memories, seems like he's not too concerned with what's going on around him. In fact, this lines, "The whole day had been a mess." and "this is bad" seem super low-key. This all isn't necessarily bad - I'm just pointing out that although the first half seemed to be building up tension, it doesn't feel all that tense because Devlin is so calm about it all.

For some reason the way this is described: "The Sadorian was ripping his word from the back of one of the two bodies that he could only guess he had knocked over." it's not super clear who/what the bodies are - if they're Sadorian or not, so I was sort of stumbling through that section a bit trying to figure out who is who.

I don't get this: "Something sharp dug itself into the wall just an inch from her left arm and she pulled it across her chest instinctively. " - if it's not on her arm, how does she know it's sharp? This is a bit too mysterious/vague. I do like the monster sort of milling around while they're hiding though.

" Carris wasn’t sure if a wounded dragon was a good thing. A hurt beast is a volatile beast." Love this - and how you slowly make Carris realize that there is something wrong with the dragon.

"The dragon was nowhere to be seen a shout from the Sadorians told Carris all she needed to know." - and what would that be?

I think the section with Carris is successfully suspenseful, there are some areas of confusion that I pointed up above. I also don't really understand where her companions went during that scene, did they make it past her? How was she in a crowd and then suddenly alone with the dragon/windtopper?

I think that ending on the "I'll never live in the cold again" is funny, but it kills the suspense that you have hanging after the "Gwyn" comment - maybe move the "cold" comment somewhere else to draw out the anxiety.

That's all I had for this chapter!

~alliyah




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:56 pm
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



The prospect of actually dying wasn’t one he was familiar- or comfortable- with.


Okay, but, I mean...a) he's a soldier and b) this whole story started with an attack on like an army base. Which isn't to say that soldiers can't fear death even after they've faced it, but I haven't really felt that from Devlin at all, so to feel it at this point when he's been through both the attack on the pass and the attack on the town.

It looked more like a bear than a man.


This bothers me a little because it's so dehumanizing. Which, like, first of all, we don't actually need, because literally all we've seen of Sadorians so far is them killing people at apparent random. Additionally, it feels more callous than Devlin actually seems so far, and I'm really wondering what the Sadorians' deal is, because it seems unlikely to me that there's a whole nation of people who are just evil for no reason and like to just kill neighboring citizens for the heck of it.

OKAY SEE I almost said this on your status, but I bit my tongue: it's not that I don't like fight scenes - it's how they're written. If a fight scene is all "and then he dodged left, and then he dodged right, and then they thrust, and then they parried" logistics nonsense, it's boring as heck and I lose interest and you're lucky if I so much as skim. I can't picture what's going on and I'm uninterested because the character is lost in the action. So even if the stakes are high, I don't really care.

THAT SAID, I think this fight scene was pretty well-done! You did have a little bit of logistics, but you handled it much better. Rather than just listing what's going on, you focused more on Devlin's emotions and physical sensations. I particularly like the moment where you bring in a memory he has of his father and that horse and the way he hasn't felt such a sense of powerlessness since then.

Aw yis. Here there be dragons.

I'm a little confused by the part with Carris because, so, like, at the start she tells Gwyn "follow the crowd," and it sounds like she and Gwyn and the townspeople and the Sadorians are all sort of in the same general area. But by the end it seems like Carris is on her own and I'm not entirely sure when and how that happened? So after the dragon shows up, the Sadorians return to hunting down survivors (which seems a little odd because are they not concerned about the dragon?) but it still seems like they're in the same general area as Carris. But then she whimpers and then she screams, and at that point I don't know where the Sadorians are or if they've noticed her or not or anything, and it just confused me.




Messenger says...


haha I actually thought you would like this fight scene because it moves the plot forward as they say, but I agree with what you say about Devlin's character being out-of-character so I'll look into that.

As for Carris: I thought it might get a little confusing. Basically think of a square, with everyone entering in the bottom left corner. Carris moves straight up, while the group moves toward the top right corner with the Sadorians chasing. It's a bit messy (i felt like I wasn't writing that bit well as it was going along)
Thanks for reviewing so super fast.




What's stopping you?
— David Mamet