z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence

Williwaw Chapter 21

by Messenger


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

Atheron was intimidating. The city rose on a slight incline, the pinnacle of which was a hundred-foot tall keep, crowned with a red brick dome. Often described as a dartboard when seen from atop the Agressi mountains, it swirled out in rings from that keep. First a ring of military stables, barracks, blacksmiths, training courtyards, and a large dining hall. From there rose dozens of double-story houses and inns, looped in rings. A thick stone wall surrounded this upper level of the city. From that wall outward looped hundreds of smaller buildings. There were huts and houses, stores, a market, a temple, banks, and various other small businesses. This outer level was protected by a palisade of sharp wooden logs pointing outward.

It was at the South Gate of this palisade that Devlin, Malcolm, Miles, and Gwyn now approached as the sun descended behind the mountains. Violet and golden light spilled over the snowy peaks, adding some color to an otherwise drab landscape of dead bushes, leafless trees, and the dark walls of Atheron.

“Here’s the plan,” Devlin said, walking backward so that he could face the group. Miles and Malcolm flanked Archie which carried Gwyn. “We go straight to the magistrate and see if Carris, by some miracle, made it here, and if so, if he has news of Eridan.”

“What if she didn’t?” Miles asked.

“We explain the situation and prepare for his arrival.”

“What if he’s already there?” Malcolm chimed in.

“Atheron is a war-conquered city. There’s a weapons ban upon entry for anyone not military, or with specific papers containing direct orders from an officer, advisor, or the king himself. If Eridan arrived he would have turned in his weapons.”

“That means that this is the best time to take him, right?”

“Yes. I think.” Devlin rubbed his hands together. “From what I could tell, his power is coming from that ebony blade.”

Miles raised a hand. “If he has arrived and turned in this, uh, magical sword, can we get access to the weapons turned in? There’s got to be some sort of storage facility or armory where the weapons are kept.”

“Excellent point. We should check that out straight away.”

“And if he hasn’t arrived?” Malcolm questioned. “He’s not going to waltz in with that armor. And why is he going to Atheron?”

“I believe he’s trying to recruit followers. He lost his troop in the dragon att-“

Miles interrupted. “I’m sorry. you said armor? What’s so special about it?”

“It’s strange. All black. The helmet has bull horns on it. Looks like he’s a performer in some strange play.”

“A bull? A black bull?”

Yes?” Devlin said, raising an eyebrow.

“The Black Bull.”

Devlin said nothing. He raised his hands. “Am I missing something?”

“You might be in some trouble. The Black Bull is a Sadorian legend. Miles’ voiced swelled. “He’s supposed to rise out of the ashes of a fallen Sadoria and come as a savior to the country’s aid. He’s said to be un-killable! Every Sadorian child grows up hearing about him.”

Devlin looked at the ground in thought. “That’s not good. Not good at all.”

A gust of wind blew across the group. Archie snorted shook his head. Miles patted his neck and stroke his side. “almost there boy.” He spoke softly into the horse’s ear. He turned back to Devlin. “We can talk to the magistrate and figure out what the best plan is, but we need to get some lodging as well. Gwyn and Malcolm need rest and food, and a long-term solution.”

“I’ll be fine,” Malcolm muttered. He tucked his arms together. “I just want to find Eridan.”

Devlin nodded. “We’ll take care of all of that.”

They were within a hundred yards of the South Gate now. Two guards, dressed in royal Astorian red with the hawk crest on their breastplates, stood on either side of the fifteen-foot tall structure, currently disarming a couple of men. One of them held a lantern while the other took what appeared to be a bow and a pair of swords. The weapons were placed in a wheelbarrow and the men were waved through.

One of them glanced back at the incoming group and shook his head pitifully. Neither of the soldiers looked exactly thrilled either. They leaned against the gate, shoulders sunken, faces barely seen buried in red scarves. As Devlin approached them the one on the left pushed himself off the wall and held a hand up as he sauntered forward, right hand on his hilt.

“State your name and business,” he said, voice muffled but loud. It sounded weary like he was tired of stating the requirement, and so he had resolved to simply bellow it out without tact.

Devlin winced, then stood as straight as he could and spoke in a smooth, confident voice. “Private Devlin Tarathin. 7th Mountain Regiment.”

The soldier raised an eyebrow and his partner took a step closer. “From Hoden’s Pass?” he asked.

Devlin noted that the guard’s hand was still on his hilt.

“Yes. But it’s been overrun. It’s urgent that I speak to the magistrate as soon as possible.” Devlin took a step toward the gate, but the soldier shuffled in front of him and put a hand on his chest. “I’m sorry private, but I’m going to have to ask you for your papers.”

“My papers?” Devlin asked, pushing the hand away. “I don’t have any papers.”

The guard rocked on his feet. “So you have no proof that you should be here? Y’know, it’s mighty cold up in the mountains. Plenty of troops have ditched their stations and tried to hide here in Atheron.”

Devlin’s heart dropped. “You think I’m a traitor? Look,” he said, more adamant than ever, “Hoden’s Pass has been overrun by Sadorians, and I nee-“

“Ha! sure thing, and I’m best friends with the queen,” the soldier mocked. He narrowed his gaze. “I’m going to ask you one more time to provide some evidence for why you’re here, or I’m going to have to arrest you and your friends here.”

Devlin turned back to the group. Gwyn’s eyes were wide and flitting back and forth, Malcolm was looking at the ground, muttering to himself. Miles stood with Archie’s hands in his reins. He stepped forward.

“I’m sorry,” he began, “but we don’t have time for this. I’m here on official business, and Private Devlin is with me.” He produced a tied scroll from his side-bag. “I can vouch for his character.”

The guard took the scroll and looked it over. “Looks official. But it makes no mention of any escort. Who are these people?” He gestured towards Gwyn and Malcolm as he returned the scroll to Miles.

“Survivors,” Devlin growled. “Potter’s Creek. Look it up on a map. It’s been burned to the ground and they are all that is left.”

The guard looked to his companion. “Never heard of it.”

Devlin scoffed. “I don’t really care. If I was deserting, why would I be trying to speak to the magistrate? There is an imminent threat headed towards this city, and if we don’t act now, we could all be in serious danger.” Devlin could feel the heat rising from his neck.

The guard shifted on his feet. “Fine. We’ll take you to him, but we’re stripping you of your weapons.”

Devlin shook his head. “No, I’m a soldier in the Royal Army. I have clearance to be armed in any conquest city.”

“Look, friend, you’re not in army attire, you’ve got no clearance papers and no way of identifying yourself. Now hand over the sword.”

Devlin hesitated, then unbuckled his sword belt and shoved it unceremoniously into the guard’s chest. “You’re wasting your time.”

The guard tossed the belt into the wheelbarrow along with dozens of other daggers, swords, bows, and a few hatchets. “Might be. But better safe than sorry right,” he said, offering a fake smile. “Let’s see if you’ve got anything else on ya,” he said. “Face the other way with your hands up.”

Devlin did everything he could not to huff right then and there. He turned, facing Miles now.

Miles gave a sardonic smile. “Could be worse,” he offered up. “This will all be straightened out right away.

Devlin shook his head. The guard patted him down, checking his sleeves, legs, and finally his jacket. His hand landed on Devlin’s left pocket, and he stopped. “What this?”

He reached into the pocket and pulled out an object.

Devlin glanced over his shoulder. It was the carving of the black bull that he had found after the ambush at the Pass.

The bull. Of course! Miles was right.

Miles had an intake of breath as he caught sight of the carving. “Oh, this is bad.”

The guard grunted. “Huh? What’s this? A child’s toy?”

Miles shook his head. “No, it’s a carving of the Black Bull. His followers carry them as a sign of loyalty.”

“Oi,” the second guard spoke for the first time, walking over. “I seen one of them yesterday. Them two big burly fellers had ‘em. Let ‘em keep ‘em cuz they seemed harmless.”

“What?” Devlin shouted, spinning on his feet. The first guard stumbled back, drawing his sword.

“Wait!” Devlin shouted, keeping his hands above his head as he stepped back. “Those carvings. These two men, was one of the older, the other one larger? Dressed in fur coats. Maybe even had some blue paint draw on them.”

The second guard had drawn his sword, but he held it at waist level now. “Yeah. The big one didn’t talk much, just kept askin’ ‘bout the nearest place he could get a roasted chicken.”

Devlin ran a hand through his hair. “Was there a third man with them?”

“Look, what’s this about,” The first guard growled, stepping up to Devlin.

“Just take me to the magistrate. Things are worse than I feared.”

The guard looked into Devlin’s eyes, and Devlin stared straight back. “Now.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1487 Reviews


Points: 154417
Reviews: 1487

Donate
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:50 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame wrote a review...



I'm back again (are you surprised? xD)

Atheron was intimidating. The city rose on a slight incline, the pinnacle of which was a hundred-foot tall keep, crowned with a red brick dome. Often described as a dartboard when seen from atop the Agressi mountains, it swirled out in rings from that keep. First a ring of military stables, barracks, blacksmiths, training courtyards, and a large dining hall. From there rose dozens of double-story houses and inns, looped in rings. A thick stone wall surrounded this upper level of the city. From that wall outward looped hundreds of smaller buildings. There were huts and houses, stores, a market, a temple, banks, and various other small businesses. This outer level was protected by a palisade of sharp wooden logs pointing outward.

I love having a description of our setting upfront. Sometimes it's easy to get lost in all the goings on but I like having this to ground us. Also, it's really nicely written!

And I completely forgot Archie was a horse for a moment xD Until this happened...
Miles stood with Archie’s hands in his reins.

He did what now? haha!

I'm hoping we get some more from Gwyn soon - at the moment she just kind of feels there. I'd like some reason for her to be there rather than her just existing. I'd also like a few more descriptions peppered in throughout. I feel like you started the chapter really strong but then that kind of got forgotten in place of moving the story along (which I get, but we're in a new place which I think is kind of an important place?).

Overall though I think the pacing is going pretty well. I'm looking forward to getting to newer chapters!

Icy




Messenger says...


I know it's 13 chapters ahead, but I literally just finished a chapter with a good bit of Gwyn in it, and there are a few once they get inside Atheron! I know she seems a bit under-utilized. I may have created too many character right off the bat when they escaped Potter's Creek lol But I think Gwyn will play a bigger role as the story progresses



IcyFlame says...


ooh that excites me, I better catch up!!



User avatar
557 Reviews


Points: 33593
Reviews: 557

Donate
Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:31 pm
View Likes
Ventomology wrote a review...



One might think, since I am Obsessessed with Vibes, that I make mood boards. They would be incorrect.

I'm a little curious: did Miles get introduced later on (without any prior build-up from Devlin before his appearance) because you reworked some stuff in the two years between when you started the project and when you picked it back up?

Anyway, back to Vibes. While I always enjoy a good city description, and the one at the start of this chapter is nice, I think the moments where a setting truly shines are when we get to describe it at the human scale, and start to see how people interact with their environment. That's what really elevates a place from a postcard to a living, breathing space.

After all, a place is more than the static architecture, planning, and geology that compose it. In fact, how a space feels is intrinsically tied to the creatures that move inside it, what they are doing, eating, etc. It's tied to vegetation, to day-night cycles, to current events. (Actually you do a pretty good job using this guard interaction to get across some of the feelings of a town newly-conquered)

In this chapter, there is almost no mention of the surroundings after that initial description of the city. However, Devlin and co. are always acting in relation to their environment. From what I can gather, Atheron is still up north, so maybe when Devlin has to remove clothes to be searched, we get a little reminder that it's cold. If this is a city still under military rule and well-locked-down, then maybe Devlin and co. are just a few out of a long line of entrants, all miserably waiting to get through the walls. And on the walls: do they loom? Does one's feelings about them change the closer one gets to them (like do you notice they are very thick? Can you pick out the condition of the bricks? Were there ever reliefs carved in, or patterns set in the brickwork?) There is just a little shoving and jostling in the group's interaction with the guards, so does anyone have to narrowly avoid getting pushed into the wall? A tall wall casts a long shadow--what's that like?

These are all things to think about. I wouldn't recommend fitting all of them in, since that might be overkill, but an offhand comment about bystanders watching Devlin cause a fuss could do a lot. Mentioning the cold again could help you establish some kind of motif, depending on how you place that mention. (Personally? Kind of a fan of using the cold always in relation to the human misery brought on by war. That could be fun. Well. Not fun for the people, but fun for us.)

Anyways, hope this helps. I really want to get to the newer chapters haha! Can't wait to see how you've improved over time.

-Vento




Messenger says...


Yeah. Any continuity errors you see PLEASE point out because that will easily be the biggest part of rewrites. I've changed, not just in some of the plot but also some of the emotional beats I feel attached to as it's been almost 4 years haha I know there will be some choppiness %uD83D%uDE02 pro tip don't take 3 years off.

And yes, with the cold. You might think that because I decided to make it cold I would remember to mention it more often but clearly not %uD83D%uDE02

As for Miles: he is introduced in chapter 15? I think. He and Devlin did know each other before these events



Ventomology says...


Messenger I am SO BAD at continuity. But I'll try lol.



Messenger says...


Haha if it SEEMS off it probably is so just yell %uD83D%uDE02



User avatar
278 Reviews


Points: 18564
Reviews: 278

Donate
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:36 pm
View Likes
LittleLee wrote a review...



This chapter was good. Frustrating in a good way, too; the characters aren't able to wing their way through every situation just because they're MCs.
The way the guards casually ignore Devlin's claims is very realistic and is something I remember saying should have happened back at the inn. There it wasn't reeeally necessary, but here it is, and you've done it! :)

Atheron was intimidating. The city rose on a slight incline, the pinnacle of which was a hundred-foot tall keep, crowned with a red brick dome. Often described as a dartboard when seen from atop the Agressi mountains, it swirled out in rings from that keep. First a ring of military stables, barracks, blacksmiths, training courtyards, and a large dining hall. From there rose dozens of double-story houses and inns, looped in rings....

Loved the description! It's also a great way to introduce readers to a city. I've done the exact same in my novel; the first time a big city is described properly is when some chaps who have never seen in arrive.
Perhaps you could also throw in the reactions of Malcolm and Gwyn upon seeing so many people? It must be quite a sudden change for them if they've never left Potter's Creek.

The only thing that threw me off in this chapter was Malcolm explaining the legend of the Black Bull. How does he know anything about it? He suddenly became more important for a piece of information he ought to have shared some time back. After all, he did see Eridan himself, right?
But this was a good way to clear up what the prophecy the Sadorians mentioned was about. No loose ends, just the way I like it.

I see you've mostly stopped writing this story. :/
Well, I'll read whatever is out so far! Thank you for writing what you did. :)

~ Lee




User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:55 am
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Mess!

Heccc, I am late to the party! Sorry frenno! I am getting back into my reviewing groove, and realized that I owed you one, and apparently I owe you three. My bad! Here now! Let's get started...

Often described as a dartboard when seen from atop the Agressi mountains, it swirled out in rings from that keep.


I REALLY like your imagery here. It was really easy to keep track of how you were explaining how this city was laid out, which is hard to do when there are so many parts of it, and I just really like you describing it like a dartboard to help keep straight in my mind what's what.

Devlin looked at the ground in thought. “That’s not good. Not good at all.”


Haha I love Devlin's nonchalant responses. It's not like, an underreaction, but so close to being one, you know? Devlin there is an UNKILLABLE ENEMY OH NOES, and Devlin be like "oop, that's not good" hahah. I love that part of his characterization, and you do it so well.

~ ~ ~

Oooh, snap! This is a GOOD chapter! I don't have many specific comments to make here. I REALLY like the detail of the figurine that he had. It is such a natural-feeling way to introduce the important plot point that their adversaries are already in the city without being an info dump. I could definitely imagine seeing this scene going down in a movie or real life, with how people communicate, and I really like how smoothly you worked this in. Great job!

On to the next chapter...

Shady




User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:44 am
View Likes
Wolfi wrote a review...



Happy Review Day!



Hey Mess! Another one in the Green Room - might as well review it too!

Often described as a dartboard when seen from atop the Agressi mountains

I don't know anything about this world aside from the fact that it's fantasy, so I could be totally wrong here, but "dartboard" (invented in the 1800s) feels a little out of place. What about an archery target? Is dartboard better because the circle is cut into pieces like a pie as well as with rings?

Violet and golden light spilled over the snowy peaks, adding some color to an otherwise drab landscape of dead bushes, leafless trees, and the dark walls of Atheron.

Lovely <3 It personifies Atheron as well!

“We go straight to the magistrate and see if Carris, by some miracle, made it here, and if so, if he has news of Eridan.”

She?

Miles stood with Archie’s hands in his reins.

What? xD Reins in his hands, I'm guessing.

The bull. Of course! Miles was right.

Did Devlin forget that this was in his pocket?

Oooh this is so intense! I'm not sure what you mean by "filler chapter," because in my opinion this chapter revealed some important information (the Black Bull) and dared to leave me off on a cliffhanger! Another aspect uncharacteristic of filler chapters is that opposed to the last chapter I read, the pacing on this one is much quicker, particularly once the scene with the guards begins. It's tough to make so much dialogue exciting, but from what I can tell the interaction with the guards has a lot of layers to it that makes it tense and exciting, layers of lies (?) and conflicting desires.

I'm loving Devlin's character. He's taking no nonsense from these guards, especially as he becomes more and more desperate to speak to the magistrate.

I enjoyed this chapter even more than the last one! Great work, Mess!




Messenger says...


hahahaahah yessss Archie's reins, not hooves xD So the caption about it being a filler chapter is because I accidentally posted the previous chapter twice, and so when I realized it I swapped it out for this one. If that makes sense....



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:29 am
Knight731 wrote a review...



Hello! I want to say that even though this chapter is filled, it is just as important as any other chapter.

It's true that not many people see the beauty in filler but it has many important attributes to it. Filler gives beautiful opportunities to show in key details of characters or introduce key information for potential plot twists for theories to be made.

Keep up the great work and keep writing from the heart.





Excuse me I have never *lied* about a character I just don't tell the truth
— AceassinOfTheMoon