To feed the soul of the Poet-Angler

by Liminality

All these poems read like class notes:

the summary starts with a theme,

a definition, a symbol, because

I need a hook, a reason

to fish for your time and attention.

It shouldn't come free, I believe,

and I know what happens

when we assume

that slivers of meat come free--

(we starve amidst heaps of bones.)

MayCupcake wrote a review...

Hi Liminality!
Here's a review to save you from the green room!

I need a hook, a reason

to fish for your time and attention.

I really liked these lines because it has duality to it. You need a hook for a poem in order to keep people reading just like you need a hook for a fishing rod in order to catch a fish!

when we assume

that slivers of meat come free--

(we starve amidst heaps of bones.)

I also really liked these lines. They kind of remind me of the concept of a starving artist. In order to put food on the table, sometimes you have to sacrifice your creative freedoms and stick to the book. This is similar, I feel, in the sense of a starving writer or more specifically a poet.

Anyways, very interesting poem! I also think that the title is cool too, mentioning the poet-angler. Keep on writing! ;)

Liminality says...

Thanks for the review! Ah, the 'starving artist' is a really interesting way to look at it, too. I hadn't thought of that. :D

MayCupcake says...

You're welcome! :D

YellowSweater wrote a review...

This is absolutely brilliant! I love how abstract, yet relatable it is. We all know that particular pattern class notes follow. The way we are taught to analyze ideas and literature in class is woven into our thought system. I love how that is so poignantly reflected in your first line: "All these poems read like class notes:" The statement actually gave me shivers.

And those last two lines! It's interesting how you end a very abstract poem with imagery. I feel like it normally goes the other way: a poet starts with imagery and then shows how it connects to an abstract idea. I really like the way you did it! It's like you took a poetry sledgehammer to the poem. You hit my nerves at the end, forcing me to get outside my head!

Wonderful job!

Wed May 05, 2021 12:58 am
TheMythMaster says...

it's a very nice poem, sums things up nicely.
You don't seem to have any grammatical errors, and it rolls off the tongue well.

great job!
(:
-Myth

BlueGlow says...

This is an elegant poem in the sense that it is simple yet conveys quite a lot. Your use of symbolism is spot on and the comparison you make really elevates the message. I don't have much of anything to criticize, i just think that it is an elegant little poem. Good work!

Liminality says...

Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear the comparisons work <3

rida says...

How can you do that? Dis poem is amazing.

Liminality says...

Ah thank you so much! I'm very flattered. :')

I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
— Chandler Bing