z

Young Writers Society


12+

​[A cat is just a wild animal, but if it can star in a Bildungsroman, then maybe domestication has some weight to it, no?]

by Liminality


Struggling to be good,

I've lived my life tracing cracks

and inspecting the salty scents

of damage. I struggle not to

mourn myself and my mangled ideologies,

I walk light-footed on the rooftops

like a cat in the dark.

.

I can see the view from the second floor.

The old and young passing back and forth

through alleyways like so many nervous mice.

I fight my instincts -- I meow, and carry on.

.

I've lived my concrete life

struggling to be good. Beasts

see through my eyes when it rains

and I look into a puddle to lap from it.

Sometimes I love to nuzzle,

and sometimes I resent the human hands

that force me under and make me a pet.

.

I am the short period of time before midnight,

the hot flashes in the dark, between the ranges

of streetlights that cannot protect you forever.

I struggle not to pounce, I struggle to stay still and be stroked.

There's no room for broken glass wherever I walk --

anything that is wounded I turn into meat, but still,

I struggle to nuzzle, lap and purr. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 800
Reviews: 11

Donate
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:30 pm
View Likes
StarGuardian wrote a review...



I feel like I've seen this title somewhere before... But other than that, I really enjoyed reading this poem and I hope you enjoyed writing it. :)

The structure of this poem, the topic, and the overall finish of it were all incredible. How long did it take you to write this? What inspired you to write it in the first place?




Liminality says...


Thanks for reviewing! I'm curious - what did the title remind you of? I sort of came up with it on the fly after writing the body of the poem~ The draft took me about fifteen minutes I think, with some editing afterwards and I was inspired by the idea of morality in Western philosophy, especially something I learnt about Hobbesian philosophy in class.



StarGuardian says...


Your welcome! You deserve all the credit you can get! I remember seeing something similar on YouTube one day, I'm not sure where that video is now. It was something funny, like- "If cats can be in- then why can't they be presidant?" Or something like that... I didn't watch that video, kinda just laughed at it then scrolled. \('~')/



Liminality says...


Ah, I see! That's neat - I guess the Internet really does belong to cats, huh? :D Including the poetry~



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 1257
Reviews: 15

Donate
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:53 am
View Likes
Ichthys wrote a review...



I love cats, but that aside, I greatly enjoyed this poem. The narrator is struggling between two different approaches to morality. He both wants to do whatever seems good and appealing in the moment, and long-term strategic and "good" self control. As good as good is, he has to fight to resist his instincts.
The narrator's oppressors (for that is how they are apparently viewed) seem to have the same struggle, sometimes taking advantage of the narrator, sometimes being perfectly fine human beings. Although that begs the question: is the narrator really a cat? I'd say not, but you never know.
Altogether I think this is an amazing poem of self-control, and has a certain appeal due to the not-quite-human narration, which softens the impact slightly, but also gives way to new levels of interpretation.




Liminality says...


Thanks for the review, Ichthys! I enjoyed reading your interpretations, especially on the two approaches to morality. I hadn't thought so much about the human figures depicted in the poem, so seeing your thoughts on that definitely helped.




You can't fool me! I listen to public radio!
— Squidward Tentacles