z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

My Hands Dress My Feet

by Holysocks


Have you ever wondered why clock hands always go clockwise? And really, is it all that wise to be a clock... forever trapped in the never ending loop of time?

When do trees take the time to grow?

I think that pillows need cases because they're scared of the dark, and drawers hide their contents... so you'll never find out what's inside.

Postcards hold the truth, written on the back for whoever wants a peek.

Oh and by the way, dolls secretly know what you've done. Try not to let that come to mind, the next time one stares at you.

Do you have any idea why my hands dress my feet...? 'Cause I don't.

A radio captures peoples' pretty voices.

A TV captures peoples' pretty faces.

A camera captures pocket-sized memories...

Free them.

How come lights are always getting turned off, and blown out?

If the eyes are the window to the soul, then, I think that the ears are the land-line to the soul.

When you're dreaming, are you really in another world? Speaking of which, I want to have a talk with my dream catcher- I thought maybe it could catch my good dreams too... and my thoughts as well. Wouldn't that be useful?

Will the people in photos ever stop smiling...

I feel guilty for stepping on slippers and shoes...

I hope thumb tacks don't get too tired...

And, is it a good idea to read a book? Isn't that kind of exposing them?

Don't worry, despite what everyone's saying, I think the world will be OK... it's already survived quite a few ends.

Don't hang paintings! The want to live too!!!

See, if you look at it that way, it's an odd place we're living in... and humans are pretty terrible people.

Yep, I think I'm going to ask the invisible mermaids to adopt me... I'll put in a good word for you.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
122 Reviews


Points: 1150
Reviews: 122

Donate
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:30 am
GengarIsBestBoy wrote a review...



Happy RevMo! Gengar here to leave a review!
Image

General Impression:

This work is very nonsensical, but that’s what makes it unique! It kind of feels like a dream that switches from one setting to the next.

What I Liked:

I like how nothing really connects, and yet it flows so well. It kind of feels like these connect in some nonsensical way; the connect because they don’t connect. Does that makes sense? Probably not

Areas of Improvement:

The end line seems a bit out of place. I know that’s kind of the whole point, but the other lines take familiar things and distort them, but the last feels completely made-up and jarring.

I hope my review could be helpful. I wish you a good day/night!
—GengarIsBestBoy




User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 256
Reviews: 37

Donate
Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:06 pm
View Likes
wickedlygoodwriter wrote a review...



Hi! very weird, cool story! really reminded me of Alice in Wonderland when she says, is a raven like a writing desk? i like that none of the question seem to fit together yet they have a nice flow. there was no characters yet through these different questions youve adopted the person of young child with so many crazy questions and none of the answers. very good job, loved reading it! hope to see more like this!




Holysocks says...


Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. :-P



User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 3461
Reviews: 75

Donate
Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:25 am
View Likes
fictional wrote a review...



I really, really like this. It's kind of a collection of random streams of thought that could be taken as either incredibly thought-provoking, or merely amusing (as others have said).

I can see why this is in the "art" category.

Really, I bet it'd be possible to go ahead and write an entire poem, or even story, based on any one of these sentences - they're all intriguing in their own right.
I'll give you a sampling of the thoughts that ran through my mind -

When do trees take the time to grow?

Made me think of us, as humans...we waste so much time and then say we haven't got enough of it to do the important things...

Will the people in photos ever stop smiling...

Oh and by the way, dolls secretly know what you've done. Try not to let that come to mind, the next time one stares at you.

Made me think of the Twilight Zone for some reason.

I feel guilty for stepping on slippers and shoes...

Huh, I thought I was alone.

Nitpicks

Don't hang paintings! The want to live too!!!

*they

If the eyes are the window to the soul, then, I think that the ears are the land-line to the soul.

*you don't need the comma after "then"

And, is it a good idea to read a book? Isn't that kind of exposing them?

*you don't need the comma after "and" either

Oh and by the way, dolls secretly know what you've done. Try not to let that come to mind, the next time one stares at you.

*and...you don't need the comma after "mind".

Yep, I think I'm going to ask the invisible mermaids to adopt me... I'll put in a good word for you.

I sense this doesn't have any intended meaning, but does it? Just wondering.

Overall

Well done - I'd love to see a continuation of this, but it's up to you.
The world needs more confusion, after all.




Holysocks says...


Haha, thanks! I'm really glad that people thought about it! And thank you so much for the nitpicks, I need those alot. :-D



fictional says...


:)



User avatar
433 Reviews


Points: 13351
Reviews: 433

Donate
Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:13 am
TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...



This wittering nothing feels like a cross between modern art and sentences written by someone who has read Edward De Bono to the point of distraction. It certanly contains much to nourish the inquisitive mind, however attempting to review this work as I would a novel or a poem is difficult. You see, as it is in a category of it's own, and no other work I know fits into this category, it is it's own defining traits of it's art form, and therefore perfect, if you take my meaning. In plain and simple terms, it made me smile. That must be a good thing, whatever the art form.
Hope this is helpful, despite vagueness.
Take that you fiend!




Holysocks says...


Why thank you!



User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 428
Reviews: 14

Donate
Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:23 am
cupcakenx says...



I've never thought about things like this...woah... Nice thinking, Holy!




Holysocks says...


Haha, thanks!



User avatar
146 Reviews


Points: 17572
Reviews: 146

Donate
Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:45 am
MooCowPoop wrote a review...



This is such a humorous yet thought-provoking piece. The line that got me laughing was:

Don't hang paintings! The want to live too!!!

The amount of exclamation marks you inputted at first made it seem like a funny thought--- and it was funny. But then I started to think around the thought of paintings having feelings. I thought about things like art history, and how paintings have given us so many clues into the past, it's almost as if they are living evidence of an era that existed, like the Renaissance. And had we not had paintings, much of what we know about the past would never have existed. That was the thought-provoking part of it, and I liked that.

This part was also humorous and thought-provoking:
A radio captures peoples' pretty voices.

A TV captures peoples' pretty faces.

A camera captures pocket-sized memories...

Free them.
The questions that came into my mind when I read this were: What if we let go of things like this? What if we went back to not living with television or using cameras to capture each blinking moment? Would it really not be not worth doing anything because we reverted back to old ways?Why do we want to keep things like the past so badly even sometimes it harms us? Do we need it as proof that we've existed, what is the importance of existing?
This is an interesting piece because it has two sides to it; it can be taken lightly as a joke, or as a questioning to how we live today. Or at least that was how I saw it. Although this work might get interpreted as a humorous piece, I think the way I'll see it is as something that should be brought light.

Thanks for writing this! And keep writing! :)




Holysocks says...


Wow, thanks!!! :-D



User avatar
189 Reviews


Points: 398
Reviews: 189

Donate
Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:14 pm
manisha says...



Holysocks!

This was great!
I have nothing to review so I'll just leave this as a comment.

I think that pillows need cases because they're scared of the dark, and drawers hide their contents... so you'll never find out what's inside.

^Favorite!

Don't hang paintings! The want to live too!!!

Made me laugh!

And your ending? Its perfect! I love every word on here. The last line is funny and is a great end!




Holysocks says...


Thanks! I'm glad that you liked it! :-D



Holysocks says...


Thanks! I'm glad that you liked it! :-D



User avatar
382 Reviews


Points: 15691
Reviews: 382

Donate
Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:27 am
Dreamy says...



Wow, that was quite pretty and cute. With the paintings, liked it a lot. :) Keep writing!




Holysocks says...


Thanks! :-P




That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo - and it's worth fighting for.
— Samwise Gamgee