12+

Meerkats anonymous

by Holysocks

lightening brands my ears 
the wind sighs as she recounts the tale of summer
when the memory of rain
was worth more than laughter,
and pecks on wrinkled cheeks.

some people say that some people say:
"cold only comes when you're 
ready to shower"

the window is closed, but
there's still a draft 
and it peeps from under the door.

like he was saying;
memory is a curse that saduces happiness
and shoves it down your throat
as though bribery were an afterthought. 

Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:14 am
Virgil wrote a review...

This is Kaos here for a review!

lightening brands my ears
the wind sighs as she recounts the tale of summer
when the memory of rain
was worth more than laughter,
and pecks on wrinkled cheeks.

There was a lack of punctuation in this first stanza. Chop the lines up so it isn't just one of them, it'll also help the poem flow better. The imagery you bring here feels quite precise in creating the atmosphere in so few words, so I applaud you for that.

some people say that some people say:
"cold only comes when you're
ready to shower"
the window is closed, but
there's still a draft
and it peeps from under the door.

I had the same thoughts on this stanza as Rosey did in that it doesn't really have anything and just fills up space to get to the third stanza. I thought you could have expanded on the thoughts or imagery of the first stanza here, as I don't exactly know where this fits into the poem. This stanza isn't exactly bad, it's just kind of unnecessarily here when you could continue the thoughts, even the same meaning of /these/ thoughts, to the imagery in the first stanza but in a different way than it is now.

like he was saying;
and shoves it down your throat
as though bribery were an afterthought.

I think you meant "seduces" in the second line here. The "like he was saying;" works(?) but it kind of came out of nowhere for me. It's hard to interpret or string together this poem, but I'm going to give it a try. The meaning I got out of it is that memory is a thing that makes you think or distorts happiness, or something of that sort. I personally thought you could have done something more about memory, like how it blurs or how you can remember things that scare you more than anything else. There wasn't really actually much here in the poem and I thought you could have expanded your thoughts so that it would feel more whole instead of feeling sort of like a blurb, but I still enjoyed most of what was here.

I hope this helped and have a great day!

Holysocks says...

Thanks for the review, Kaos! c:

Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hello.

I will admit, the title threw me. It could be a cultural thing that meerkats means something different in different regions, but from the title of the poem I was not expecting something this serious.

This piece is rather beautiful, and bordering on too minimalist for my tastes. The middle stanza in particular just makes me frown, because it looks almost like filler. I can tell there is supposed to be some sort of point, but that point is lost on me. I like it as a transition stanza in something that explained why it was relevant. Of course, it could be style— I'm terrible at telling— but maybe play around with something a little less abstract.

My best guess at this poem's meaning: discussing a time when things were loud and bright and happy, but now it's become cold and alone and full of hearsay without a single voice speaking directly and unburdened by constraints. It's left a void where things used to be so clear, but now they're not.

Of course, that's just my interpretation, and I'm really not sure how close I am to anything. Part of me likes this poem, part of me doesn't, so between the abstract, just-there-but-not-quite middle stanza, and the title, I hope that gives you some sense of what to play with if you ever revisit the piece.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey

Holysocks says...

Thanks for the review, Rosey! I'm about as mixed about this as you are. But your right, the middle was mostly filler and I'll either rewrite it or stop myself from being lazy about these things! c:

Okay, first of all, who names their dinner? I don't want to know my dinner's name. This potato--is this potato named Steve?
— Rick Riordan, The Sword of Summer