z

Young Writers Society



Shadowed Painting

by Queenie


The sun ascends swiftly,

in a sweeping brilliance of streaks colored in orange, yellow, and red,

awakening the sky from its deep, dark slumber,

as the birds flap their groggy wings preparing to take flight

through the beautifully painted scene that lies on my canvas.

~

My brush pauses mid-stroke, letting the yellow drip, drip, drip 

as tears slip, slip, slip down my shadowed face

because I realize that I can’t keep painting

this idyll, this picturesque, this perfect place, this perfect life

when mine is quite the opposite, as contrasting as black and white.

~

Unconsciously, my art morphs from a dreamlike facade

into the reflection of my soul as my brush paints harsh strokes of blood red

while anger and pain flash before my eyes,

but soon my hand slows as it paints

the blue curved lines of loss and sorrow.

~

Through my eyes, I view my life only in shades of gray which I suppose compels me

to dip my brush in a bland hue

to cover up all of the life, beauty, colors, and lies

as my life falls into a deep, dark slumber,

as the sun descends slowly. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
959 Reviews


Points: 106
Reviews: 959

Donate
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:46 pm
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



Oh how dark! How gothic! How moody! I love these types of poems.There’s something so romantic about them.Something so beautiful with darkness.Something that can just compel you.Something about the darkness that is enticing.How amazing this was! Yeah,I pretty much liked it.Great job on this.I can’t say enough compliments for this piece.I hope that you will have a nice day and night.




User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Wed May 02, 2018 1:28 am
Radrook wrote a review...



Radrook here a once again to offer some suggestions.
Apologies if i offend. It isn’t my intention.
Please feel full free to cast aside all things you deem not helpful.
But if you do be sure its true by being extra careful.

That having been said:

Thanks for sharing this beautiful poem about a painter who realizes that his painting contradicts his somber life and who angrily proceeds to change it. I like the alliteration of sun, ascends, swiftly, sweeping.... I like how the poem dramatizes the sudden realization of the situational irony by making his hand pause and how the dripping of the yellow paint coincides with the dripping of his tears. I also like how he attacks the painting and forces it to coincide with his bitter reality by adding colors appropriate to his bitterness.

Of course colors do have their symbolic meanings and evoke an emotional reaction from the reader. Reds and oranges evoke cheerfulness and optimism,. The dawning of a new day a future with rosy prospects. Yellow on the other hand has been used to represent cowardice. Perhaps the painter has not proven brave ior intrepid enough in his life and because of his cowardice his life is in ruins. The yellow tears of a coward? Actually, it is the context that determines how the color yellow is to be viewed. The context of it coinciding with bitter tears here is negative so it is negative.

The meanings of Yellow

Lurking in the background is the dark side of yellow: cowardice, betrayal, egoism, and madness. Furthermore, yellow is the color of caution and physical illness (jaundice, malaria, and pestilence). Perhaps it’s no coincidence that the sources of yellow pigments are toxic metals - cadmium, lead, and chrome - and urine.
https://www.colormatters.com/the-meanin ... ors/yellow


Looking forward to reading more of your work.


Suggestions on word economy and logical coherent development.

Word Economy

as the birds flap their groggy wings preparing to take flight
[as birds flap groggy wings preparing for flight]

through the beautifully painted scene that lies on my canvas.
[through the beautifully painted scene on canvas.]

because I realize that I can’t keep painting
I can’t keep painting [Reader knows why. Understood from previous statement.]

Coherent Development

Unconsciously, my art morphs from a dreamlike facade
Unconsciously, I morph my art from a dreamlike facade

[I find it hard to consider this effort as being unconscious since the painter suddenly stops, lets his hand hover and drip paint, and sheds tears over the painting. To me it comes across as an act of conscious frustration. As if he were venting that frustration on the painting. This is especially evident when we are told that he sees red as ANGER flashes before his eyes. So that unconscious part sets up a serious contradiction unless an effort is made to truly make his actions appear convincingly unconscious. But as it stands the poem does the opposite instead.

The last stanza repeats the word “life” three times. [The word “existence" can reduce it to two]
The word “as” is repeated four times. [The word “while” can reduce it to two.]




Queenie says...


Thanks for the review, it was really helpful!



User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 545
Reviews: 29

Donate
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:32 pm
xJoeyx wrote a review...



Hewo, its Jade writing another review for a wonderful poem!
I loved the imagery you included into this, using all the details to create a colorful picture. It might just be my imagination though,
I also loved how much detail you included and also how interesting it was.
This was beautifully written.
Well done.




Queenie says...


Thanks for the review!



xJoeyx says...


It's no problem!



User avatar
121 Reviews


Points: 110
Reviews: 121

Donate
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:05 pm
manilla wrote a review...



This was deep, having such a powerful meaning to it. You put such beautiful imagery into the viewer's mind with colors and what they associate with. The truth of the artist's work is the hidden emotions they experience and hide away from view, therefore creating a perfect world in which they will to live in.

--

Hi, manilla here for a review. Let's get the nitpicky things out of the way, shall we?

"this idyll, this picturesque, this perfect place, this perfect life

when mine is quite the opposite, as contrasting as black and white."


You go from something like polar opposites to rage to..

Through my eyes, I view my life only in shades of gray which I suppose compels me"


Gray nothingness. Is this the changing emotion of the painter that they are trying to hide, or is it the one view of life that's being switched around from black and white to only bland gray?

"to dip my brush in a bland hue

to cover up all of the life, beauty, colors, and lies

as my life falls into a deep, dark slumber,

as the sun descends slowly."


What a powerful finishing line! To go from a "picturesque", to "realization", to "a n g e r + s o r r o w" to just gray. Nice tie back to the first stanza of the poem, too. Gray is psychologically neutral, balancing out the perfect view and the real view. Yet once again, people could view this as you contradicting yourself. You have a nice flow and way with words.

That's all from me.
-Manilla

(Feel free to disregard any comment you deem unhelpful and rude. That was not my intention.)




Queenie says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
200 Reviews


Points: 60
Reviews: 200

Donate
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:57 am
kman134 wrote a review...



Hi .This is Kman134. I'm here to review your work.

I have always enjoyed art with my favorites being impressionist and baroque. the emotions and frustrations and artist puts in his work has always been the main drive in creating a masterpiece for many of the great ones, but there would always be a brick wall they will hit. Sooner or later, their works will stop and they will cease painting. However, they will always find a muse that will inspire their works like nature or the people around them. That what I love about artists. They are more aware of the ephemeral nature of their creation but know their art will withstand the force of time, even when they are given such obstacles.

"The sun ascends swiftly,

in a sweeping brilliance of streaks colored in orange, yellow, and red,

awakening the sky from its deep, dark slumber,

as the birds flap their groggy wings preparing to take flight

through the beautifully painted scene that lies on my canvas."

I liked how you captured the magic of nature. the symbolisms of life and beauty emphasizing the environment that artists take in. Usually, when getting such beauty in a canvas using watercolors to bring life to a painting, which is usually how impressionism tends to do.

Anyway, I like your work. keep up the good work.




Queenie says...


Thanks for the review!




When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool, you end up looking like a moron instead.
— Robin Hobb