Love Will Tear Us Apart

by Queenie

hand in hand,

lying face up

under the stars.

i don’t look at you,

you can’t see straight,

stars start swirling

in my ocean of tears.

oh how, oh how

did we get here?

your hand brushes

the dampness off my face.

your touch lingering

leaving a trail of memories

that makes my heartache.

your raspy breaths quicken,

as you let out a soft cry.

this time my fingers move

to wipe your tears

to ease your pain

but as your hand meets mine,

i cave,

wallowing in regret

in despair

in misery

wishing to rewind time,

mourning our past,

as i realize

we’ve reached

the breaking point,

the melancholy moment

where our love 

will tear us apart,

again.

LewisPencastle2 wrote a review...

Honestly, I'm not one to review poetry as I barely know anything about it or how to critique it, and the only reason I clicked on it was because it had the same title as the song by the Joy Division (Which I suppose does strengthen the meaning of your poem). However I did read it and felt it was a very powerful and well-written poem, and it kind of renewed my appreciation for poetry, it being a solid example. The only thing I saw is sometimes you capitalize I and sometimes you don't, so you might want to be a bit more consistent in that regard. Also sometimes you end lines with a period and I took that to be the end of a stanza? I don't really know if you need to capitalize the next line or if its just a personal preference of me, but those are really the only things I could see to critique. Otherwise it was an enjoyable piece nonetheless, and thanks for writing it.

Queenie says...

ryleigha says...

Hey there!

This poem is beautiful and heartbreaking. I love how much you are able to allude through with the short lines that you wrote in!! It really makes me want to know why the speaker and their significant other are decinding to end things, yet it is also relateable to many others and their heartbreaking ends to relationships.

I think you should only add one thing to this poem, but thus is my opinion so please feel free to ignore it if it doesn't match what you want to do stylisticly. I think you should add just a bit of punctuation so that the reader can follow the verse easier. Maybe a comma, dash, or period. Again that is just my opinion, so if you disagree keep it the same. It is a beautifully tragic poem either way!

Queenie says...

Thanks for the review

ryleigha wrote a review...

Hey there!

It's funny how humans can wrap their mind around things and fit them into their version of reality.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief