Am I Writer

by birk

I recently discovered the art of Palindrome poems, and I found them really
interesting and great. Feeling the urge to try them out myself, here is my
terrible attempt. A palindrome can have different meanings when read in reverse.
So read it once, then again, in reverse.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could never be a writer
And it is wrong to say
Anything is possible
As dreams come and go
But

I may think
Keep trying
With trial and error
Only lessons I’ll learn
And

“Failure will surely come”
So ignore these thoughts
Of my one true calling
And relish the dream
Of another vocation
If I could only forget
I could be a writer

Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:50 pm
ErinYount wrote a review...

Hi.

First of all, I like the piece, I like the idea behind the piece, and the technique, very much.

Yes, there are parts that didn't work for me. Like:
"I may think
Keep trying
With trial and error" When you read it from top to bottom, this line doesn't make quite enough sense to me. It makes sense, but only after a very meticulous attempt to understand it. This, I feel, can be smoothed someway.

Honestly, The poem felt better to me, when I read it from bottom to top, instead of top to bottom. It just felt better. I can not really explain the how.

"I could be a writer
If I could only forget
Of another vocation
And relish the dream
Of my one true calling"... The best part of the poem for me.

Keep writing! I'll certainly be back for more.
Feel free to ping me, if you like.

-Erin

Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:20 am
Rook wrote a review...

I love the obvious effort you put into this, and you made it work pretty well. I also like your topic(s). I've honestly never heard of a palindrome poem before, so this was a pretty unique experience. Because I've never read another palindrome poem, I have nothing to compare this to, so I can't say if this was done exceptionally well or not. I think you have the main concept here, but to me it felt like you didn't execute it as flawlessly as you could have. When reading it straight, it doesn't sound as smooth as a poem should for example, this is what it would look like if it was punctuated and written as prose (I understand why you didn't use punctuation, and it’s not necessary, but I think you should see it written out.) I will put the parts that don’t really make sense to me in red.

I could never be a writer, and it is wrong to say anything is possible, as dreams come and go. But I may think, “keep trying with trial and error,” “only lessons I’ll learn,” and “Failure will surely come.” So ignore these thoughts of my one true calling, and relish the dream of another vocation. If I could only forget,
I could be a writer.

I’m not quite sure if I've punctuated that the way that you imagined it should be punctuated, but I hope you can see my confusion. Just try reading that out loud like a prose piece. Most of the sentences are really rocky. I know most of that is in red, but I want to let you know that it’s not the individual parts that don’t make sense, it’s how it all fits when you read it as a whole. I’m not even quite sure what you’re trying to say here. What I gather from this is:

“I could never be a writer, because dreams really can’t all come true, because they change a lot as you grow older. But I may think, even if I keep trying I’ll learn lessons, but I’ll never truly succeed. So I’ll just forget that I was born to be a writer, and I’ll relish another vocation… I would do this, if only I could forget my dream to be a writer.”

If that was what you were trying to say, I only understood that after really analyzing what you were trying to say, out of the strange context you forced these statements into.
It reads with slightly less (but still present) rockiness backwards too.

I could be a writer, if I could only forget of another vocation, and relish the dream of my one true calling. So ignore these thoughts: “Failure will surely come,” and only lessons I’ll learn with trial and error. But as dreams come and go, anything is possible, and it is wrong to say I could never be a writer.

What I gather from this is slightly easier to get:

“I could be a writer if I could forget about other jobs that lead me away from this dream, and actually focus on this calling. So ignore the thoughts of failure, because I’ll learn through trial and error, and I’ll eventually learn enough not to fail. But because I may not want to be a writer in a few years, my future is still undefined, but it is still wrong to say I couldn't be a writer.”

I know that getting both ways to make perfect sense is supremely difficult (you know I've tried it for myself, and that my poem’s a lot shorter than yours). But I think that if you really focus on what message you’re really trying to get across on both ends, maybe play up your negatives or something, you can make both ways much clearer.

Something I discovered as I was trying to write my palindrome, is that you can make opposite meanings work well together if you have two positives sandwiching a negative, for example:

I love you,
but not as much as
I love him.

I’m not sure if you can apply this to your poem, but that’s just something I figured out.
Great job in general, and that’s so much for introducing me to this pretty magical form of poetry.
~fortis

TimmyJake says...

I noticed this because of @fortis This is really cool. Read it backwards and it is the opposite. Write another one!
~Timmyjake

emjayc says...

I wanna try writing one of there. It's quite an interesting idea and I've never heard of them before. This is a nice try too!!!

nativecatcher wrote a review...

Hi!
So first off I've never heard of a palindrome but this is really amazing. I don't know if the poem is related to your fears but I fear that I'll never be a writer sometimes. I thought this was really cool because based on how you read you get two different poems. I love the dichotomy of it and it's really great. You should definitely write more palindromes. I would love to read them.

Awesome job!

Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:57 am
Pan wrote a review...

I love this, and I find it so cool! I think I might go check out other palindromes. It's artful and they're really cool to read. It's like, one poem relaying one message, but if you read it backwards, it's another poem entirely, right? Cool.
I love the point of the poem, however, and it's inspiring and beautiful at the same time. Good job.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Wow, this is amaaaazinggg! :D Good job on the spotlight, well deserved! :D

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:31 pm
Basil says...

O.O Now that is deserving of its place in the literary spotlight!
Amazing job, keep it up!

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:37 am
Nargles says...

You have made me fall in love with palindrome poems.
This is truly incrdible.
You have been able to create two seperate poems really, but not at the same time.
I don't really have anything more to say because the other reviewers have said it already.

So fantastic job and keep writing.
Nargles xxx

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:11 am
heclgehog says...

I love this, palindrome poems are always so cool. I prefer it going from top to bottom more bc it's just more motivational to me but it's really good both ways

Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:19 am
RachelLeeAnn wrote a review...

Kudos to you on writing a palindrome poem- and a good one at that!

I've only a seen a couple of these kinds of poems, and they all have seemed like they're extremely hard to write- yours included.

You did a very good job of creating two very different moods with this poem.

First time reading it, it has one thinking "Aw, how sad. He's giving up on his dream of writing." But then backwards reading, it makes one excited for you and your seemingly new-found hope.

9/10.
I commend you, my friend!

Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:53 am
KaiTheGreater says...

Amazing!!! I will never love another poem. You've totally raised my standard for an 'awesome' rating!! This is incredible!

Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:02 pm
rbt00 wrote a review...

Hey! Hats off to this amazing and short piece you have written. I like the way you gave the intro of your poem. Reading this from starting till end and then from end to starting was truly something which brought attraction to this poem. A great piece and a great idea you have used their. I really really loved these lines
"And it is wrong to say
I could never be a writer'

Keep Going.
Regards. ;)

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:36 pm
Laminated says...

Neat! At first I thought it was like, hardcore palindrome, and I was going r-e-t-i-r-w? What? But then It made sense. This is really cool.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:34 pm
harshita3chaarag wrote a review...

Hey.
How did you do that? I'll be honest in admitting that this is the first palindrome I've read. But I can definitely imagine what a terribly tough task it must be to write one. It's a bit of challenge to write a normal poem. So writing a Palindrome *RESPECT*. And I cannot believe it's your first attempt. It's really good.
Well done..
Harshita :)

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:09 pm
Gravity says...

Can I smack you now? This is amazing, not a sad attempt at all. LOVED IT!

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:04 pm
rothwise says...

Wow! This is pretty incredible. I could never do a Palindrome poem no matter how hard I try so I commend you on being able to accomplish this. I think it's gorgeous what you've done...keep writing!

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:20 pm
Panikos says...

Goregeous.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:06 pm
LittleCaroleen says...

I love this so so so much!! It's so double sided and amazing. I never read a palindrome before and now I want to read like a million of them. This is so cool. I don't think I'd ever be creative enough to do something like this.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:43 pm
dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

Knight Dragon, here to review.

Hmm...I like the concept, but it is a little rough.
Lines that need focusing on for reading it top-to-bottom:

And it is wrong to say
Anything is possible
As dreams come and go

Thought process from the first two lines don't match up well with the transition in line three.

"With trial and error
Only lessons I’ll learn"

That only really bugs me. Is there something else you can learn with trial and error? I think "lessons" pretty much sums up what you learn with trial and error.

Lines that need focusing on for reading bottom-to-top:
"Of another vocation
If I could only forget"

That "of" doesn't fit on the way back up. But it's kind of important on the way down.

"Keep trying
With trial and error
Only lessons I’ll learn"

For some reason, when I read this, I can't help but think that the lessons are what keep trying. I don't know why, but that's what comes to mind unless I force myself to think that's not right.

Hope this helps!

birk says...

Thanks for the review Dragon. I essentially had big problems with the middle paragraph. I tried to work around it, but I would have to re-work the entire piece then, so I ran with what I had.

Cheers

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:39 pm
maroonamorous says...

Christ!
I love this!!

Hey there!
You're a genius.
Palindromes are always so fun, and this poem of yours illustrate them the most beautifully.

Let me not comment further, 'cause I need to read it once more!

~MarS

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:32 pm
BethanyMarieWright wrote a review...

Wow, this is pretty cool. I hadn't thought of trying palindromes before, and they're exceptionally difficult - so well done on that.
I would love to see you do some more of these, and the poem itself is pretty good without having to read it in reverse. I think, to make it more effective, would be to loosen up a little. When reading it normally, it sounds very stiff - no doubt due to trying to make it make sense the other way. So maybe just write a poem, then read it backwards and change the lines. But that's just my take. Good luck, and I can't wait to see more!

One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them.
— Aldous Huxley, Brave New World