Displaced

by niteowl

My dear, was it so long ago
that we were bound together?
(Or was it just five minutes?)

You hugged my curves,
and with you in my pocket
we were secure. 

Have you now found
a new crevice to sink into,
a new hand to hold?

Without you, I am nowhere,
but without me,
you are nothing. 

In trash I find you,
my golden treasure, 
and I whisper 
(for the thousandth time)
This time, I'll never let you go.

Audy wrote a review...

Hey Niteowl,

I kind of liked the beginning half of this poem more than the last half, and I suppose I'll explain.

The title displaced immediately allows me to chew on several different possibilities for the narrative-story meaning of this piece, because displaced can be a synonym for "replace" in the sense that someone can be displaced from a position or home, also from a relationship, which seems to be what it was suggesting in the first part of the poem with the you/I and the hugged curves/new hand to hold, etc. but, honestly -- even though I know you meant and intended it to be read as a relationship dynamic -- it could also be taken as any sort of dynamic, so I enjoyed the wondering and the different layers of meanings which I thought kept the poem engaging/was a lot of fun.

The last half with the finding in the trash a golden treasure sort of took out the wonder element for me, and it made it into one of those: aha, a surprise twist in the end! and so I think I'm supposed to assume that the entire poem was about a pen the entire time P: Which is great, a lot of people love the twist-y ending, and definitely that hugging the curve thing was a great trick/word play -- I suppose it let me down only because I've read so many of these types of poems before, and I had different expectations regarding the title. But that's just me!

Third stanza in particular is my favorite :) Very clever.

~ as always, Audy

KnightTeen wrote a review...

Wow. This was amazing. It has very good flow, and a nice storyline. But, and maybe this s just me, I can't really tell what the narrator is talking about. That might have been intentional on your part, but for me it was just a little confusing. Knowing me, I'm probably the only one who feels like this so I'll just say, amazing piece of work.

niteowl says...

It was intentional. All I'll say is I was not talking about a person, but something that is very important. :)

MindBlown wrote a review...

Well niteowl this was a very strong poem :) it flowed well and was never choppy. You are obviously a very talented poet, and this piece was great. I didn't see anything wrong with it so congrats on a awesome poem and I hope to see more soon.

~MindBlown

niteowl says...

I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
— Walt Disney