Home » Literary works » Poetry » Health

We Are All Insane

by wordsandwishes

"What is logic? And reason?"
  I say to you.

"For if the mind changes as the season,
  what part does knowledge play?"

"Our very reality, is illusion,
  made of what we think we know."

"And to clear up all confusion,
  I say this;"

"We know nothing."

"For this is the truest statement,
  ever known to man."

"Our reason is an ointment,
  to heal uncommon sense."

"Even our eyes have the infection,
  for the colors are not there."

"It is all but a reflection,
  of light unexplained."

"But amidst this imperfection,
  there is no one else to blame."

"It's important that you know this."
"For we are all insane." 

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:03 pm
Rainn wrote a review...

Awesome :)
I agree, we are all insane.

My review:
----------------------------------------------
On the first stanza,

"What is logic? And reason?"
I say to you.

Do you think, "What is logic? What is reason?" would have sounded better? The way you put it is very odd, and personally sounds very strange and sort-of chopped. It sounds very uneven when it is worded like that.
Also, the "I say to you" sounds odd in it's placement.

"Our very reality, is illusion,
made of what we think we know."

The comma after 'reality' is not necessary, and personally I think it would sound better without.
"But amidst this imperfection,
there is no one else to blame."

"It's important that you know this."
"For we are all insane."

These are beautifully rhymed! Wonderfully done!
------------------
Overall I love it, it has a few strange spots where the rhyming gets somewhat choppy. Other than that, it is a beautiful poem.
Great job!!

~Rainn

ERZA wrote a review...

This is a rather very true poem!! Well, anyway it was a good one and whatever you said it is all very true. However you might want to change the get up of the poem like removing the quotation marks for instance and the part where you describe who is saying can be italicized since there are very few of those kinds of lines. And with all those quotation marks the poem becomes a bit distracting like you cant read it at one go and have to retrace your steps many times. And that single line of we know nothing, it looks a bit left out however you can also give the main focus on it by maybe writing it in bold or something. The rest of the things are good I think and this poem has everything it needs. Good Work and Keep it up.:D

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:02 pm
xxFleetingEternity wrote a review...

I really enjoyed this poem, it was quite different, and slightly amusing. I think my favorite line was "Our very reality, is illusion, of what we think and know." Very true. Overall, it was a rather philosophical piece. I enjoyed it.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:30 pm
silverfin713 wrote a review...

Very creative poem! And true! I also agree with considering taking out the quotation marks because I think it took away from the poem and was a little distracting. The poem is quirky and witty and quite frankly, amusing. My favorite line?

"Our reason is an ointment,
  to heal uncommon sense."

Maybe revise some lines with different word choice so it flows better, but really cool poem!

Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:39 pm
firepen wrote a review...

Hi wordsandwishes, I love this poem, it made me laugh! I realise that this is spoken, but I don't think there is any need for the speech marks. Perhaps, is you really wanted them in, you could have 'I say to you' at the start and then just two speech marks - one at the start of the second line and then another at the end. I think the title is a good one but I think it gives away too much of the poem. Perhaps it would be better if you chose another line that you liked from the poem that was closer to the start? I like the rhyming pattern although it does not always follow so perhaps you could try and make it a bit more logical... Overall though, I love the ideas you potray and I think you put a very strong and true meaning accross. Well done wordsandwishes!

Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe.
— John Milton (Poet)