Weekly blog prompts and broken friendships

by rida

Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:02 am
Liminality wrote a review...

Hiya rida!

This was an interesting and melancholy poem to read. The speaker’s voice seems very mature, like it’s a much older person looking back on a friendship they left too quickly when they were young. The tone is sort of reluctantly acknowledging, as by the end of the poem, it seems the speaker doesn’t really want to go back and fix things after all and seems too exhausted to deal with their lost friend.

The form

I like the idea of using a weekly blog worksheet as the base of the poem. The cursive font is a little hard for me to read at points, I’ll admit – so I’m not sure if the word before “steel-heart” is a person’s name or something else. Either way I thought the ‘personal details’ section as a whole was an interesting technique to use, and I get the sense that what is said that contrasts what is said in the stanzas below it. For instance it says “our-war”, but in the part below the speaker seems to doubt that their relationship with this person was “as grey” as they thought.

Overall, I was drawn to some of these details, as they gave me a sense of ominousness and grimness that contrasts starkly with the bright orange font of that “Weekly Blog Writing Prompt” text.

Language and imagery

The first stanza brought to mind the image of two children playing by the streetside at night. I like that you focused on a small detail, just on the two pebbles and how they moved, as the pebbles themselves seem to convey the instability of the friendship that was still ‘new’ at the time, I think.

With the second stanza, the image of “plants” surprised me a little – it seems to juxtapose the inanimate pebbles and suggest that their friendship wasn’t able to grow healthily in the way plants do.

The last line felt a bit unclear to me in comparison. The image “conversation-schedules” seems to be more in line with the motif of schoolwork, but that hadn’t really been mentioned in the text of the poem itself (only in the formatting) so I think it threw me for a bit of a loop. Maybe if there had been more references to the idea that the friends met at a set time every day, or had a very mechanical scheduling process to their meetings earlier on, the last bit might have been easier to link to the rest of the poem.

Structure and Sound

I love how the lines “I suppose . . . hopeful flight” sound read aloud, especially with all the internal rhymes and repeated sounds. The way the second line gets longer with more pauses too made me feel the speaker’s regret.

The repetition of “I suppose” to structure the first and second stanzas also gave me the sense that the speaker’s point of view was a doubtful, uncertain one, which makes sense given that their memory seems to be unreliable.

“conversation-schedules” was a bit of a mouthful, though it is an interesting word to use. I think that was the only part here where I got stuck, though.

I liked the rhythm of the overall poem. Some parts felt very symmetrical, which gave it a song-like quality, for example “memory is fuzzy, and it helps to forget-“ has a pause in the middle, and so does “but really – I’ve stopped caring” in the second stanza.

That’s all
Hopefully you found some of these comments helpful, and feel free to ask me about anything I said in this review.

-Lim

Banner courtesy of @Phillauthet

rida says...

Thank you so much for the very helpful and amazing review!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<33

Plume wrote a review...

Happy RevMo! Plume here, with a review!

I really enjoyed this poem! I think this was one of the school-related poems going around the site, if I'm not wrong? I think you incorporated the theme very nicely. I especially liked the top bit where you had all the little spaces teachers always ask for so they can distinguish your work from others. It added a really nice touch to the overall scholarly aspect of the poem.

One thing I also enjoyed was the juxtaposition of the prompt and the actual poem. It is very matter-of-fact and technical, and the poem is anything but. I like how you used the game in the prompt as a view into the friendship you made the subject of the piece. You were able to construct a very clear narrative, too.

I also thought your imagery and comparisons were delightful. The way you began the poem was really great; it was such an interesting line and it immediately hooked me in. The narrator's voice was so distinct, and both melancholy and nostalgic at the same time. It was a really emotional and poetic effect, I think, and you should be proud!

watching them skid and scrape through the
asphalt, two moments of hopeful flight

Just wanted to say how much I adored this line. The alliteration in "skid and scrape" creates this really nice flow in the lines. I also like the break before asphalt; it was a unique choice, but I think it worked, surprisingly!

I suppose friendship needs time.
like a plant needs water to grow-
but all I've got are dead potted plants
hidden somewhere in garage.

I thought that the repetition of the word "plants" so close together felt a bit redundant to me. Also, I feel like that last line would flow a bit better if you said "the" garage instead of just "garage."

Overall: nice work! I really enjoyed the poem and thought it was emotional and a really great response to the prompt. It spoke of broken friendships and melancholy reminiscing, and the overall effect was beautiful. I hope to read more of your work in the future! Until next time!

rida says...

Thanks for the amazing review!!!! <333

Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:37 pm
vampricone6783 says...

Cool poem! It’s beautiful! ✨

rida says...

Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:37 pm
vampricone6783 says...

Cool poem! It’s beautiful! ✨

Nothing says criminal activity like strong bones. ;)
— Magebird