The Cat

by TheBlueCat

A/N Styled after The Car by Raymond Carver for my English class

The cat found on the side of the road.

The cat rubbing my mother’s leg for attention.

The cat too friendly for a wild stray.

The cat with kittens locked in a garage.

The cat with three malnourished kittens.

The cat with burrs stuck in her fur.

The cat with green eyes larger than the sky.

The cat who was skin, bones and fur.

The cat with a lawnmower purr.

The cat with soft silk fur the color of cocoa.

Cat who was named Cocoa.

The cat who my sisters loved.

The cat who they saved up to pay for themselves.

The cat who we’ve had all my life.

The cat who loved attention.

The cat who chased yarn like it was a bird.

The cat who liked to catch spiders for snacks.

The cat who still remember what outdoors was like.

The cat who always tried to get outside.

The cat who still knew how to catch mice.

The cat who ate a mouse and got sick.

The cat who lived for 13 long happy years.

Cat I loved so dearly.

My cat.

LakeOfCancer wrote a review...

From what I'm guessing.....he died?

Hey there! Lake here for another review, hopefully to keep The Blue Fish in the lead!

So at first I thought that you would rhyme in this poem, but then I realized....it's free verse! (:

Silly me!XD So, I liked how you wrote about how your cat's life progressed, as each line, seems to express a different meaning. Like the third line, it shows how you thought that he was way too nice and kind to be a stray. I felt as if the cat had had a different family when it was born and it was treated with love and respect that it did that for you too!

I honestly wish I could be with you right now so I could hug you. I feel really bad...like....really bad. But I know that you'll be able to live in peace knowing that he's in peace as well.

I don't have anything to nitpick on because you didn't make any mistakes, and you expressed your words so creatively I have nothing to say!XD

I can't wait to hear more from you friend, maybe in the near future. Keep up the fantastical work friend! I'll talk to you soon.

~ Lake :D

TheBlueCat says...

Thank you! (*she) Yesterday was the one year anniversary of when she passed. I'm just really glad her daughter is still alive and very much healthy. Glad you liked it!

lemonboi wrote a review...

Hi, Cat! I wanted to cry at the end, just complete honesty. I wouldn't call myself a dog or a cat person, but I really love cats and I think you just- my heart freaking hurts. I'm sorry you lost Cocoa, it seems like you guys worked so hard for your cat and now... *reaches through screen and gives you a big hug<3*. I can't believe I didn't know. I pray that Cocoa will rest in peace and if you ever need to talk, whether it's about Cocoa or life just sucks as usual, imma be here. You did an amazing job expressing your love for Cocoa through these words and I think Cocoa would have loved it. Seriously, I'm here, Cat.

TheBlueCat says...

Thank you <3 Yesterday was the one year anniversary of when she passed. I'm just really glad her daughter is still alive and very much healthy.

I AM NOT GOING "FULL COW" ON SOMEBODYYYYYY
— whatchamacallit