z

Young Writers Society



​petrichor//a timeline in no particular order

by Pompadour


i-

a beginner’s guide to autopilot//a kind of pain

i learnt to walk the same way you learnt how to love--slowly, with hesitant steps, and the constant sensation of something skating out from underneath your feet. i’m an expert on all kinds of falling, you told me.

that was before you took my spine and broke it between your teeth. i think i forgave you for that a long while back, but i can’t really remember. the memory’s stuck somewhere on that scientific sympathy for an idiom, cloud 0.0, somewhere in Atlantis, somewhere in Spain, caught somewhere between snatches of quick conversations and glazed eyes on cold September mornings.

too many--too many--too many times
to count, you taught me what it feels like for my soul to fracture. but you always tied your shadow around my back before you left, and i think--i like to think--i like to
   think--
that maybe you felt a little bit guilty sometimes. but i forgot that you were an expert on all kinds of falling, and you taught me what it feels like to crash land into an orbit that isn’t mine.

i’ll be honest: i’m grateful you reminded me to flick on the autopilot before you left--handed me a little black box that you said wasn’t yours but you’ve always been a bad liar. and i think--i think--i
 think
i’ve kind of gotten used to it.

ii-

chronologica: the best way of dealing

when i went under, i went under fast.

you’d always dealt with pain by digging with your palms into raw, uncertain skin, stitching your sides up with paper planes and stuffing origami swans into the clefts beneath your wrists. you dealt like you'd been taught, your hands busy, your movements fast and nimble even as the cards slipped out from underneath your feet and every ace struck you unmercifully in the gut.

i believe the proper phrase is broken bones never got me through drones but my own damn captivity will.

you dealt with believing you could fly, that you could burn like lighthouses in Alexandria. i dealt with burning my hands on you when you came toppling down.

but you were fire and sparks and fireandsparks and the skittering feeling of comets trailing down the inside of my skin--you taught me how to cry. you reached down into the planetary core of what was once your heart and scooped up the ache like it was so damn easy. you'd always been able to do that, and i envied you for not breaking// for not running away// for facing your grief head-on and swinging a sword at all the chunks of metal that flew your way on the highway. the highway wasn't a snake with lips of blazing coal, you told me, and you would not melt while vaulting down the tarmac. because survival meant crashing headfirst into your own self-destruction. survival meant becoming paper. [tape back--tape back the--tape back the
      
pieces.]

you taught me that cutting a frame in the beast’s belly was the best way of dealing.

iii-

a detailed guide on navigating your solar system

i learnt to walk the same way you learnt how to love--slowly, up to my knees in rainwater. we were lakes, we were the muddy algorithm at the bottom of a pond in camelot, unclear, with vague plot-points and the shared feeling of somekindofdespair.

we were rock gardens in our own strides, both of us, made of reeds and fading bruises that we masked with ivory lace and manure. we opened our pores to the sun, clogged the gateways to our hearts with mould and stood by the watering shed every night just to wait for the morning dew to wash our faces free of dust. i taught you the best places to hide from the dank, taught you how to let the sunrays wrap like lianas around your waist and drag you away into the dawn.

when i went under, i went under fast.

and i guess, somewhere in the middle, you taught me that love is different from what you grow to expect. and i taught you that expectations

sometimes rival reality, and they play tug-of-war until the stars break loose and crash on our heads like shrapnel. we’re shrapnel. we’re dangerous. we’re walking on bridges made of cardboard and streets made of fire and we’re digging tunnels into ourselves but we’ve forgotten to turn on the lights. realisations. logic. a book covered in lace and stuffed into an attic that we found while cleaning ourselves out.

we were a series of ‘do-not-forget’s and ‘please-don’t-let-me-forget’s and

iv-

there are no epilogues in nonfiction

i will teach you if you will teach me.

boats only tug at the shoreline when they see a lighthouse worth swimming towards; glass bottles are carried by the current; you&me is a tightly woven knot that rests somewhere at the base of my neck. it hurts when i look up at the sky.

it hurts when i look at the ground and wonder if snipping at knots is worse than letting sweat slowly wear through them and seep into my skin. it hurts because i know that some day 
it'll hurt less, and i'll be okay,
i've heard that when knots unravel, they become anchors to your roving sunbeams, a telescope to see the stars, a black box that carries the sound of the waves, 

and sometimes, i will twist that piece of string between my fingers, 
and i will remember you.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
425 Reviews


Points: 50
Reviews: 425

Donate
Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:49 pm
View Likes
Vervain wrote a review...



Yo, Pomp! So I know I don't normally review your poetry, but I saw this languishing in the back of the Green Room and thought I'd try to help out! This is mostly going to be me speculating things that might make this stronger, since poetry isn't my strong suit.

i learnt to walk the same way you learnt how to love
And right off the bat, I have a feeling that this would be stronger if you employed parallelism. It sounds awkward, reading this line aloud, because my brain wants it to either be "learnt how to walk" or "learnt to love"—pick one wording and stick with it for both, and you'll have a stronger first line.

i think i forgave you for that a long while back, but i can’t really remember. the memory’s stuck somewhere on that scientific sympathy for an idiom, cloud 0.0[...]
Two things! First, I can't help but feel like the clause "but i can't really remember" is weakening your meaning—I would cut it out and go straight through "i think i forgave you [...] but the memory's stuck". "But i can't really remember" cuts between your strong voice and imagery and inserts just an ounce too much uncertainty in the phrasing, and the idea of it is conveyed in the following line anyway, so why tell something you're just about to show much more effectively?

Second thing, I don't know what it is, but "cloud 0.0" just reminds me of internet slang and emoticons. It distracts me from the piece and pulls me away from the words as I have to remind myself that it's not you going "0.0", it's zero-point-zero. Maybe think of a way to rework that?

but you were fire and sparks and fireandsparks and the skittering feeling of comets trailing down the inside of my skin--you taught me how to cry.
For some reason, this doesn't feel as smooth as the rest of the poem so far. I know that poetry is supposed to be rough at points, too, but this is the kind of roughness that pulls me away and doesn't let me get immersed in the idea; I think it's the repeated "fireandsparks" that gets me. Your repetition before was handled well, but this one just feels...a little awkward.

i learnt to walk the same way you learnt how to love--slowly, up to my knees in rainwater.
I don't have a critique on this line, really, I just want to say that I love the imagery you use and the metaphors you repeat that gain weight as we continue through the poem. (Still think that parallelism might help a bit.) Gorgeous.

i taught you the best places to hide from the dank
I'm not sure "dank" is quite the word you might want to use there. It's a good image, but at the same time, it has some unfortunate modern connotations that you might not want to be invoking.

Overall, I think you can gather the idea that I really love your imagery and phrasing. You use repetition really well most of the time, but sometimes the lines come across thick on the tongue, so perhaps read it over a few times and note which places are clunky and out of place? Again, poetry's not really my strong suit, so feel free to disregard me. Keep writing!




User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 524
Reviews: 54

Donate
Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:32 am
StupidSoup says...



That's sweet, I like it .p.7




User avatar
621 Reviews


Points: 4984
Reviews: 621

Donate
Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:36 pm
View Likes
Rook wrote a review...



Ugh pomp this was so beautiful and raw and uuugghhh why are you not making millions already

Okay. So this is an experiment, and I think it succeeded quite well. I like your imagery, as always, but this time you have these glorious phrases that just speak to me. Like, you know those pretty pictures with the quotes on them that we all find so moving? This is like, a whole beautiful poem made up with those, and they all tie together, so they're much more potent.

The one thing I think this needs is a defined movement. Starting from someplace, and ending someplace else. Right now, I feel like all the images are from the same moment in time, but the various sections lead me to believe something should have changed. Maybe I'm missing something, but the only sections I can put a definitive word to to describe the section is the first and the last: back and knots, respectively. The others just have really beautiful things, and things about love and swamps and lights and flying, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be getting out of them, unlike the first and last stanzas. If you do have something, I didn't get it, maybe the titles should point more towards what they're supposed to be?

I really like the choices you made with removingthespacesfromwords and stuff like that. I think you could even play a little bit more, maybe put some paragraphs so they're aligned right, like I've seen you do with a few other poems, so we can get more variety.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful but this was so beautiful it made me ache.

This really was beautiful though, and really, you don't have to change anything. It was like eating the perfect dessert, but not knowing exactly what was in it. But that's okay! You don't have to know what something is to enjoy it!
Really great job, as always, Pomp <3

Keep writing! And you should see about publishing these. I don't care if you want to or not, but I want a physical Pomp Poetry collection to fawn over and show to people like, "I know this girl!" (and it's all about what I want, of course) ;)

~fortis





Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
— Mark Twain