Sometimes you need to help your own self.

by BhavyaMehta123

Past week was filled with ups and downs. I was stressing over unnecessary things.I was not feeling productive but unhappy all the time.I was talking less, eating less and sleeping less. There was a sense of uncertanity which I was able to discover in every action I took. Every question I asked myself as a self talk turned out to be giving me negative answers. It was getting difficult to live with such a state of mind.Nothing could cheer me up. If something positive happened, It couldn't lift my spirits up either. 

It was time to do something which could help me. In some cases no one can help you. You have to help your own self. It was time to do something different: A self help letter. It was time to motivate my own self. It was time to get the long lost spark back. It was time to heal the soul, mind and body. It was time to stop stressing.I took the pen and paper and told everything to my own self. I became my best friend that day. I wrote all my strengths, weaknesses and my current situation. I made few promises and began a new. I feel better now. I feel like doing things again and be someone I was.

I feel this phase was important to filter myself completely. Although the process is slow.But, it has taught me something great. Sometimes you need to be your own Miss Sullivan. You need to help the Helen Keller in you who is in search of light, hope and strength.Self help letters help. Try them out when nothing works. They do wonders.

~They work when nothing else does~

madisonperkins59 wrote a review...

I could really connect with this. I am used to leaning on other people to help me out when I am feeling low and I recently stopped doing that trying to help myself out more and it's surely not easy but sometimes you just have to find a way to help yourself. Everything that I was going to say in my review everyone has already said so there is no reason to repeat it. Good Job and I am looking forward to reviewing more of your work.

Hi! I am so glad you liked this. Thank you for such a lovely review.

Hijinks wrote a review...

Hello BhavyaMehta123! I'm here for a review!

As @Clairia already pointed out in her wonderful review, this is sending a very important message about positivity in this trying time. Thank you for sharing this with us all!

That being said, I'll address some very nitpicky grammar things within this piece, so if you're interested, you can improve it in that regard.

Past week was filled with ups and downs.

This should be,
The past week was filled with ups and downs.

I was stressing over unnecessary things.I was not feeling productive but unhappy all the time.I was talking less, eating less and sleeping less.

Just a minor thing, but these sentences seem to be missing spaces between them. I highlighted the first one so you can see what I mean -- you need a space after "things." and before "I".

This happens a few more times throughout the work, so just watch out for that.

If something positive happened, It couldn't lift my spirits up either.

"It" should have a lowercase "i".

Adding to what Clairia mentioned about sentence length, I would suggest combining these two sentences:
In some cases no one can help you. You have to help your own self.

So that it becomes,
In some cases no one can help you and you have to help your own self.

Also, to vary up the vocabulary a little, you could consider changing it to:
In some cases no one can help you and you are forced to help your own self.

Throughout this piece your vocabulary can be a bit repetitive, so look out for where you repeat verbs and nouns and see if you can change it up to make it more engaging for the reader.

It was time to do something different: A self help letter.

Another minor detail: "A" should be lowercase.

Sometimes you need to be your own Miss Sullivan. You need to help the Helen Keller in you who is in search of light, hope and strength.

What an interesting and unique comparison! I love it!

Overall, this is well written, but the main things I would recommend you focus on are:
- proofreading for small grammar errors
- varying the vocabulary
- combining short sentences to make slightly longer, and less choppy ones.

I hope this review helped, if you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Whatchamacallit

Hi@Whatchamacallit. Thank you for reviewing my work. I am so glad you liked it. I have read your review and I agree with your viewpoint. Thank you for telling me which points I must focus on. Thank you for investing your time.
Thank you for appreciation for those last lines. They come straight from my heart.

Hijinks says...

No problem! Glad I could be of help!

Clairia wrote a review...

Hi there! I'm Clairia, here to review.

This is such a sweet idea. Positive affirmations are SO important, and writing down what you're struggling with can be immensely helpful. You seem to be making positive steps forward in terms of mental health, and I, for one, am beyond proud <3. Keep it up!

It was time to do something different: A self help letter. It was time to motivate my own self. It was time to get the long lost spark back. It was time to heal the soul, mind and body. It was time to stop stressing.I took the pen and paper and told everything to my own self.

Piggybacking off of what I just told you, it's fantastic that you came to this decision. Being there for yourself is essential, because you can't truly care for anyone else until you care for you. We all go through stages in our lives where we start plummeting into our own doubt (as you eloquently described in the first paragraph), but realizing that we're simply not okay is the first step. Simply by doing that we begin to realize what has gone so wrong and what we can do to fix it. Initiative is key, and it's fantastic to hear that you're making changes in your own favor.
I think what you wrote here really reiterates that:
I feel this phase was important to filter myself completely. Although the process is slow.

I would like to make one small suggestion to you from a technical standpoint, and that's to work on sentence fluctuation. Your sentences are all relatively short, and it interrupts the flow of your piece in the long run. Here's an example of what I mean:

It was time to do something which could help me. In some cases no one can help you. You have to help your own self.

See how each sentence is about the same size? It becomes repetitive and somewhat boring to read. Here's those three sentences turned into two, creating more variety:

Revised
It was time to do something which could help me. In some cases no one can help you; you have to help your own self.

By adding a semicolon, you can continue the thought instead of ending it so abruptly with a period. The same can apply for a few others, but I'll let you find them when editing again ;).

Overall, I thought this was wonderful. I really appreciate you sharing it with our site--I think all of us could really use it.

Best,

Clairia

Hi Clairia. Thank you for investing in your time and writing such a stunning review.I am so grateful to you for the same.I have read your review thoroughly and I agree with your viewpoint and I would work on it.
Also, thank you for the appreciation for my work.

Clairia says...

It was my pleasure! You're very kind <3

<3 :)

I don't have much knowledge about marsupials.
— ForeverYoung