Mirror

by Percybeth

I see a wall. It was once white, until I watched a man with gray hair and a white shirt paint it blue. I see that man comeback to me everyday. Sometimes I see him with his black hat or with white hairs growing on his chin. I've seen him with a woman. I've seen his teeth and his muscles. I've seen the scar on his neck and the watch on his wrist. I see all of these things, but I don't know why. Like I'm seeing all these books, but never knowing their story.

The blue wall has never left me.

I remember when the man stopped visiting me. And I remember how a woman dressed in black replaced him. I saw tears on her face and freckles on her neck. When she came back, she was wearing a white shirt that had blue paint on it; I yearned to see the man beside her one last time. For a while after her, I never saw anyone, except the blue wall. I saw kids come by with black spray paint, obscure my vision. They never came back to me. My sight of the wall got muffled overtime. I could only see a blur of blue, but I knew it was the wall, because that wall has never left me.

I saw a little girl with blonde hair and brown eyes come to me. She had freckles cascading across her nose and little diamonds in her ears. I couldn't see past her soft chin. I felt her warm hand touch me; cleaning my eyes with her fingers. She felt my black scar; I felt her healing me with her eyes. When she left, she came back with a woman; blonde hair and brown eyes like her. She took a rag soaked with water and washed away my blemishes.

When I saw the blue wall behind them, I saw its age. Its colour had faded, and I could see chips of white again.

Milanimo wrote a review...

This is a very mysterious piece.
It borders on prose poetry and short story, so other and general suit it well for categorizing.

Well, I really like this. It's very mysterious and open-ended, and the reader feels inclined to continue reading to find out who this person is. I wonder if the warped description is from a child, as the narration sounds very confused and simple.

Is this an animal? Possibly an abused one? The reader is really left wondering that. There's no need to specify, as this is what keeps the reader thinking. I really like how you were confident in seeing that the description was clear enough to not blatantly say what the person or thing was, or what was exactly going on.

If I had to guess personally, I'd say it was an abused animal. Someone died and could no longer take care of the animal, who was taken in by a little girl and her mother. I could keep guessing throughout this entire review but I won't.

Anyways, great job! I feel very connected with this narrator and the vagueness is not unsettling, but simply makes me wonder. I really liked how you formed this to be specific, but at the same time, keep the reader guessing.

Hmm. I'm puzzling and puzzling but I can't figure out what the speaker is supposed to be. They have a black scar, blemishes, are always watching a wall -- its vision is obscured with black paint.

At first I thought the speaker was in a hospital, but unable to speak or respond, only watch as people came to visit him. Now I wonder what kind of object sees and is only in front of a wall? ;_; This is basically almost the only thing about the poem that bothers me, and I know you can't TELL me the answer, because you can't be with EVERY reader when they read the poem and get confused... wah. haha.

So I went up and looked at the title, and it says it's a mirror, but what mirror watches the wall? Is it an inside mirror? If so, does that mean people came in and tagged the house after it was abandoned? My sense of the setting of the poem has now changed like three times, so I'm wondering if you can't slip in just a few more details about the setting. I like that you avoided it because you wanted to be subtle and the mirror would focus on the details of the people, but I think it would help just to get us grounded!

Okay. So I loved the first three stanzas. I loved especially the first, with all the description of the humanity of the man down to his teeth, his scars, his muscles. I liked seeing the woman that closely, too: the freckles on her neck.

But I was a little disappointed then, to see the poem take a predictable turn: age, after this generation comes another, and things remain after all the people. Have you read poems or stories like this before? I'm asking because I know I have -- many poems or stories with this same plot progression. Is there some other direction you could take the ending of this poem?

Hope my thoughts and feelings were useful to you!

If you have any questions or comments, please PM me or reply to this review.

Good luck and keep writing!

Percybeth says...

Hey, I love this review! It's so cute haha. The speaker is just a mirror across from a wall. And at first, this only had those three stanzas, but then I heard that it might be better with more, so I added more to experiment with.

In the beginning, the house it owned by the man, but after he dies, that women comes back, picking out all of his personals. After, the house goes a little bit abandoned, which is when the teenagers come in a graffiti the mirror. Then another family comes and buys the house, and the little girl discovers the mirror first. I was going to add more, but I'm still contemplating if I should even keep what I added, suggestions?

And I read a somewhat famous poem that inspired me to write this! It's "Mirror" by Sylvia Plath (whoops stole the title!)

Hannah says...

I wonder if I read that, too, at some point. Is the plot similar? And is that why it felt already done to me? haha.

If you want to add more, experiment with that. Write it and see where it takes you! You can always edit and analyze later. ;D

Sat May 24, 2014 6:02 am
budding writer wrote a review...

Hey there!
Budding writer here to review!

Ok let me tell you point by point:

1) Even though the concept is fine the title was too obvious. I can tell that what your trying to do here is to narrate it through the eyes of the mirror and thats okay but it would have been better if the title was not so obvious and you had revealed the fact that it was written though the viewpoint of a mirror. Or even better you could have let the readers figure it out on their own. That way you could have kept it interesting.

2) The size of what you wrote somehow felt short to me. Specially considering the category under which you classified it "narrative". As the writer you can make it as long as you want but with special reference to the subject I felt it was too short.

3) It somehow lacked variety. You could have made it really interesting and using the concept of a mirror you could have played it up alot.

On the good side:

I liked how you were referring to the blue wall as being a constant companion. Cause specially when its a mirror the best way to show the age was to focus more on "show" rather than "tell".

-Budding writer

Percybeth says...

Hey, thanks for this review!

I wasn't sure if people would get what I was talking about, so I just made sure that they wouldn't be confused, should I still change the title?
I actually have never been much of a story writer and I ended up writing this piece on accident, it wasn't meant to be posted here; I thought "oh why not just do it!?" I've always done poetry though, so I guess that's why I ended it early. But i'll change its category.

I guess I didn't want to be really repetitive with this piece. But I do get what you mean with that and I will experiment a little.

Thank you so much for this, it's helped me a lot.

Your most welcome! I could tell that you mostly write poetry by the way you wrote this!

Remember: no stress allowed. Have fun, and learn from your fellow writers - that's what storybooks are all about.
— Wolfical