18+ Language Violence Mature Content

The Descent Chapter 5: A Week On Part 1

by D4RKR4VEN

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

Full Novel Synopsis: Sequel to 'The Spiralling', itself a sequel to the Kick-Ass (2010) movie. However, this novel can be read on its own. After Big Daddy died, Mindy was driven mad, subdued by Dave, and locked away in an Institute after killing all who she deemed responsible but Dave. Will she recover? What will happen next to a New York without her nor the Motherfucker? Elements of the Kick-Ass 2 (2013) movie and comic series will be taken in.

The Descent

Chapter 5: A Week On Part 1

7 June 2011, Tuesday

Deer Diary,

Dad bought you for me so that I could write down my feelings. When Dave left for skool today, dad brought me shopping in the supermarket, and he found you there. He said you would help me. Thanks dad! And thank you too, diary.

I found out from Dave that I’m 11 years old, and my birthday was just four months ago. He said since I dont remember my last birthday party, we will celebrate it again. I’m so happy!

Goodnight, diary!

8 June 2011, Wendsday

Deer Diary,

Dave brought me to his skool. He said that I will need to go to skool. I can’t remember how skool was like. But why do I feel sad when I think about skool? Was it so bad there?

I knocked on the door to the principal’s office. I didn’t know what to think, but at least it had little to do with behavioural problems – I was never really a part of that, other than those few times when I got into fights and lost, and I didn’t even start it. I didn’t know what to think or what would happen, bringing Mindy in like that. Would anyone recognise her? I know she looked very different from how she was back then, but would it be enough? The only good thing I had going for me was that I was on good terms with the principal. Depression had its uses, and it gave me an obsession with school. That obsession with school gave me my good grades, and my sudden improvement in school grades’d put me in the principal’s good books, “Come in.”

“Morning, Dave. Interesting to see you! I wasn’t expecting you here!” The principal was a woman in her forties, still quite hot, even in her business wear. She was different from the other educators I’ve met. She was livelier, more colourful. The others were either dying of boredom or overexposure to hyperactive children or angsty teenagers.

“Good morning, Mrs. Dixon.” I greeted her formally. I didn’t feel like being accused of reverse-paedophilia. For some reason, my mind’s alarm for anything to do with that kind of stuff became dad’s me-as-a-paedophilia joke.

“And who is this fine young lady you brought in?” She beamed and gazed at Mindy with an enthusiasm that even I found off-putting. Her piercing silvery-blue eyes didn’t help – they looked like they could peer right into your soul. I could never tell if it was just part of her professional behaviour or if she was for real. Predictably, Mindy could never meet her eyes, choosing to look at a wall instead, and of course, she was hiding behind me, afraid or shy, or a combination of both, if I’m lucky.

“Oh, it’s Mandy Lizewski.” I introduced my adopted sister to the principal, gestured for her to stand on her own, to greet her.

“G-good morning, Mrs. Dixon.” Mindy repeated what I said. For a moment, she met the principal’s gaze, but then she turned away again. She couldn’t find anything for her right hand to do, so she placed it over her left arm, an unconscious gesture of insecurity and nervousness. It wasn’t the first time.

“Good morning, Miss Mandy Lizewski.” The principal returned the greeting, trying to be as nice as possible, smiling wide, but Mandy wasn’t looking at her face anymore. “Is she a relative? Cousin?”

“No, she’s my sister.” I said, trying to be as flat as possible, make it sound like old news. I was never sure how successful I was. The principal hardly changed her demeanor, “My dad wants her to study here.” I was hoping that she’d pick up the home-school or other-school subtext I was trying to fabricate between the lines.

“Where’s your father?” The principal asked, slightly toned down a bit. That was when I knew she’s going down to business, or if she sensed something was up. I was desperately praying that she didn’t recognise Mindy. Mindy didn’t exactly have a very good reputation either in my school. In the final months before she went totally batshit insane, she became cold, unstable. She’d started bullying her schoolmates. I knew I should’ve seen one form of mental problem lining up or the other, but then again, who’d have realised she’d go full-blown insane months after? I’d bet anything that even Mindy didn’t know she herself was going nuts. Her father’d trained her to be strong, I saw that in her when she didn’t stop after he was gone, but continued on until Frank was killed – It was only a while after that that she broke down.

“Oh, that. He’s on double-shift today.” I explained the moment she asked, as I didn’t even want a hint of doubt over Mindy. I didn’t want to give the Principal time to remember her face, “Here’s his letter and application form.” Putting down my bag, I took out an envelope and a few papers stapled together and put them on her desk, “Could she sit in for today? To get comfortable?” It took her a few minutes to read through everything, to get them in order.

Mindy’s situation was all explained in my dad’s letter, everything except that she was once a student here called ‘Mindy Macready’. When the principal was done reading, she was leaning back – never a good sign – and taking a good, hard look at Mindy. Mindy made eye contact again, only to regret it and go back to the wall or floor again. I couldn’t help but to hold my breath and scramble for the best line to use. For a moment, I thought she’d call Mindy Macready out.

“Have I seen her around before?” The principal finally said, but it sounded rhetorical. Looking at Mindy and comparing her to her past, healthier self, I thought she looked very different myself. For a dreadful moment I thought I was mistaken, somehow too biased to judge, “Huh. Nevermind, sorry about that. I’ve been on the job for over two decades. I’ve gone through thousands of kids. I guess it’s starting to show.” Slowly and silently, I let out my breath and figured that if the principal can’t tell if it was Mindy, everyone else won’t.

Then the principal stood up. It caught me a little off-guard. And came towards Mindy, bent low so that she was at about her eye level, taking her hand, “I’m sorry about what happened to you, Mandy. We’ll try to make sure you’re comfortable here while you recover.”

“Is it okay if Mandy sits in on her classes today?” I continued my negotiations, “My dad’s on double-duty.” I’d discussed this with my father – Mindy would need to work hard to catch up, and she’d need all the time she could get. I had an utterly dreadful feeling that she’d need to catch up quick, or she’d remain dumbed down forever – call me irrational, but it felt like the risk was there.

When we were out of the principal’s office, I could sense that Mindy was afraid of being in class. As a first, a hint of annoyance entered me, but then again, was this how everyone started out? Being afraid? Doctor Paul had stripped away not just Mindy’s years of training and experience, but also the confidence that came with it, plus 1 or 2 years of ‘basic development’, leaving behind a child even younger than 11. It was sure as hell how I started out, and it’d affected me since. Just look at my circle of friends. It was never really that big. Mindy had finally begun to take a step in that direction, as a normal child would, although I was beginning to wish that she didn’t have to, not especially when…

“Dave, I’m scared, I- I don’t want to go to class!” She’d said, pulling at my hand, refusing to move on. Class was almost starting, and there were a lot of elementary students around, some of who were bound to be Mindy’s future classmates. Upon hearing what Mindy’d said, a few girls were already giggling past us. It didn’t bode well for her. I shot a murderous look at them to get them to stop, and sure enough, they did. After all, I was in highschool.

I stopped, and bent low to regard her on equal grounds. At first, I didn’t know what to say. What could I say? Don’t be afraid, it’d all be fine? I wasn’t my father, and I knew very well that it’d be a tough journey ahead, especially for Mindy – she had her independence to lose when no other elementary school kids did. What the other students had was a past, a past that could give them a measure of strength, however short at a few years it was. Mindy was down to 2 or 3 days after Dr Paul was done with her. What could I say?

“Mandy.” I said firmly, trying to catch her attention. At the very least, she could look me in the eyes; others were too tough for her to look at, “Before you lost your memories, before the… bus accident, you were strong.” I remembered Hit-Girl taking punches and kicks that no girls could take. “You were smart.” I remembered her outmanoeuvring a whole gang of criminals, “You knew how to laugh.” I remembered her lines, full of vulgarities as they were. It was the best I could come up with. I remembered Dr. Paul’s instructions, but I figured these were general enough.

“You knew how to make friends,” Which was a lie of course, but that’s up for interpretation. The old Mindy could have theoretically made friends – anyone could, just that she chose not to, or couldn’t find the right crowd (though it wasn’t so surprising that there weren’t a lot of children like Mindy around). Eventually, it wasn’t even her choice anymore, “It’s all in you even if you can’t remember. Okay, Mandy?”

Mindy smiled. That was a start, though somehow, it felt like I botched up somehow. It was a realisation for me that it wasn’t exactly easy doing things that dad had to do with me.

Skool School was horrible. Now I no why I feel so sad, being in school. I stuttered when I introduced my name, and they luffed at me.

In English class, some of my classmates threw paperballs at me! They were so mean!

When I told Dave about it at lunchtime, he told me to ‘just make friends’ and ignore the paperball throwers. Lunchtime was the WORST. No one wants to sit with me. I feel sad and lonely.

I’m scared of tomorrow.

SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hey, Dark Raven!

One thing that I had to point out, because I loved it so much -

But why do I feel sad when I think about skool? Was it so bad there?

These two lines are amazing. Not sure what to call it but it's like foreshadowing inverted - hinting at Mindy's past, for Mandy. I love when you switch into her perspective since, of course, we get the effect full on. Mandy's probably scared out of her mind thinking about what could've happened before the memories. People are naturally afraid of the unknown. Awesome job showing us that.

Ah, here's it done again. The ellipse trailing off into a blank sentence. Here, I can feel it's better placed and timed, switching into an interrupted thought, but if I were you, I'd italicizes the phras to differentiate that it's more of a thought than anything and easily interrupted by Mandy's outburst.

Dave's right about Mandy going through tons of difficult times. Is it possible that those who threw paper balls at her recognized her? Or perhaps they recognized the similarly of the names? Didn't the teacher say something about it? It doesn't make very much sense why she wouldn't intervene to help Mandy out. Just from the way she acted, I'd thinks by teacher would melt and try to help her out.

This part really leaves me with bet limited things to say, especially since I really loved Mandy being introduced to school. Perhaps it would have been better for her to have been homeschooled or done so with a lot of help from other teachers, without any peers. But it's totally understandable that her dad doesn't have time for homeschooling and that they don't know what she's like. She's behind, but not necessarily 'special needs', which is an interesting place to but her.

I'm super excited for upcoming parts. Keep on Writing,
~Wolfare~

Deanie wrote a review...

Hola

It gets more awkward for greetings as I am really just writing all these reviews in a row.

SO! The beginning was interesting. I see you dumbed it down to Mandy's new level of spelling and writing :) As I am me, it was like, really annoying but I understand it's an exception :P But good keeping in character! Again, you hint at all her memories not being completely lost because we see she remembers some sadness related to school. Argh the suspense here. I wonder what will happen if all those disjointed emotions and memories come together?

No mistakes of grammar or anything that I could find other then the tense-related thing. But you already know about it.

Mandy's off at school and already doesn't like it because she's made fun of and left alone. Even after the pep talk she receives :( Looking to see what happens next. Hoping something more suspenseful? I feel like it's time something anticipating is inserted into the story.

Deanie x

D4RKR4VEN says...

Cool, it's nice that you're noticing the little details. I took great pains to embed them there. Thanks! :)

I'm glad you're enjoying this stuff.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:18 pm
whitewolfpuppy wrote a review...

Hey there! :D

Just a few comments. :D

skool

Don't make me kill you o.e lol. It is spelled "school" not "skool" unless you are trying to make her unable to spell many words.

Like I said, don't make me kill you! o.e Hahah-

[quote] they luffed [quote]
Again, as I said before. Are you making her seem like she is not able to spell out words? If so, you are doing a good job at it. Though at the end, you should probably make it like you did at the beginning. Create a journal type entry and continue with all of those.

Over all
Over all, great job. Nothing big with spelling or grammar. Doing great with all of those, I know I am hard about that. >.< Now with the development with Mandy or Mindy, I can see where you are coming from. I like the development so far, though it could be a little more detailed within it. Maybe have an experience within one of her later classes. Describe her true emotions that she feels or is thinking about when she is in those classes. Give those emotions that you want her to feel some personification. Create those emotions and give them reality with the young girl. Now going off of that, you can do the same thing with Dave. His emotions and thoughts about Mandy and how she is doing at school. His fear for her is alright for now, though if it were me. I would add a lot more detail to it, again I am a detail kind of person. It does tie back into the other chapters but as the chapters progress, I think you should have the emotions progress as well. Whether it be bad or good, it would really put the mood of the scene! :D Alright, with that all nice and finished. Thank you for your time and as always, keep on writing. :D
~Knight Onyx

D4RKR4VEN says...

lol am I so bad a writer that deliberate spelling mistakes seem unintentional!? :D

The problem with being detailed with Mindy is that I'm writing from her perspective, be it her diary or her 'real-time perspective'... That means that I would have to go down to her level of expression. I can't have her speak in Shakespearean style English when she's just fresh out of a mental hospital with very little memory intact, and less cognitive ability intact :D

But I will try to tighten it up as much as I can according to your review, in the next edition of the novel I suppose.

Well when I say give her emotions more detail. I mean by, describe it. What makes her feel that way, what does she do about it, what can she do, what are her thoughts, and why does she stay like that? You know what I mean? I got the whole misspelled words later. xD Sorry about that! :O

D4RKR4VEN says...

Yeah, well, and I'm saying that by doing so it may detract from her character, and like I said, I will try to do so without destroying her character in the next draft.

Alright, sorry about that. >.<

D4RKR4VEN says...

It's fine, you must be really tired :)

I am a bit, ha- I know I sound crazy. >.<

D4RKR4VEN says...

You should probably pace yourself. Chapter 23 has just been completed yesterday, which means there's another 18 more chapters to go... After this one :) And I think this novel's going to be a protracted one. It will like have twice that number of chapters, if not more. Current word count's almost 110,000, and you've barely scratched the surface. :)

Oh boy ha- Well I am ready for anything! :D I'm going to wait to review the third part til tomorrow. I think I can handle it, ha- I wish I could write as much as you are right now. I am stuck on my second chapter in my first book for my book series. I'm trying to figure out how I want my characters to grow up and what events I want in their lives that divide them as they are in the rest of the series.

D4RKR4VEN says...

Good news is, you're doing fine. Fanfiction is usually very easy to write. I sailed through 8000 words once when 2000 words is already a problem for me in an original work. Don't forget too that another advantage you have is that while original fiction can be published, fanfiction can't unless you go into fifty shades of grey territory *shudders*

Hahaha! That is a scary book! xD I stay clear from that book and people who might read it... It is very scary xD Though you can post your book on Wattpad. It is kind of like publication, many people read it and continue to post what they think. Not like a review, just an opinion. I go on there and read some of the books. It is good.

What's the point of being a grown-up if you can't be a bit childish sometimes?
— 4th Doctor