A Hero's Welcome - Chapter 2

by Noelle

The screams got louder as they ran, filling Cole’s ears and sending a chill down his spine for a second time that morning. It was a girl’s voice; no boy could ever scream like that. And she sounded scared. There was no pain in her scream; it was the only comforting thing about the situation.

Leven was faster than Cole and he had to nearly sprint to keep up. The apartments flew by as his feet pounded on the pavement. He hated to admit it, but he was scared what they would find when they reached the girl.

They had nothing to go off of except for the screams, so when the girl went silent, they stopped. Cole bent over, hands on his knees, and panted. “What now?”

Suddenly there was a loud clap and a boy flew across the street and slammed into a building. Cole wouldn’t describe it as flying, but rather hurtling towards a large brick building. He and Leven watched in amazement as the boy stood and rushed back across the street, disappearing into an alleyway.

“That’s where she is,” Leven said, taking off again. “Come on!”

“Can’t we just let it go? That boy seems to be handling things quite well.” Cole was gulping air as he ran. The trip from Earth had taken a week. It was strange being in zero gravity for that long. It messed with everyone’s physical condition. Cole was a track star back on Earth, of course he could run.

When they reached the alleyway, both of them froze. The site in front of them was not one that they had expected.

A small girl in a yellow dress was cowering in the corner, arms wrapped around her knees. Five men were standing in front of her. Cole couldn’t tell if they were protecting her or kidnapping her. Each of the men were dressed the same; black t-shirt, black pants, dark sunglasses, buzz cut. It looked like they were all the same person.

The boy from earlier was standing in front of them, hands balled in fists by his side. “Let her go!” he yelled, his voice deep. He looked about Cole’s age, but was much shorter than him. The t-shirt and cargo pants he wore were torn and singed. His hair was a mess. Debris entangled his golden locks. It was a shame because Cole figured that he had really cool hair when it was properly combed.

“We said come alone.” the man in the middle growled.

“I did come alone!” The boy froze and turned slowly. Cole didn’t know what to do; he panicked. His hands got clammy and he began to sweat. His heart beat fast in his throat and he had to grab his stomach to make sure he wouldn’t lose his breakfast.

It had just occurred to him that he was a witness of a kidnapping. Obviously, this boy was here to negotiate some kind of return. He was about to get this boy in trouble because Leven wanted to be a hero.

“What are you doing here?” the boy hissed. Cole didn’t know what to say. But then again, the boy was only looking at Leven so Cole didn’t feel the need to answer. “Leave this to me. I don’t need any help.”

“We’re not here to help,” Leven protested. “We were on our way to school when…” she turned and looked at Cole. He shrugged, but she didn’t seem to notice. Her face contorted into a look of confusion and she looked right through him. “Cole,” she said quietly. “My friend Cole was right here.” She looked around, searching for him.

“I’m right here!” Cole waved his arms high above his head, trying to get her attention. But she was still looking for him. Was this some kind of joke? He was standing right next to her; how could she not see him?

“Well he seems to have disappeared, hasn’t he,” the boy said, crossing his arms. “Good for him. You need to leave too.”

“Not until you tell me what you were doing to that poor girl.” The boy laughed.

“Me?” he pointed to the guys behind him. “You see them, right? And you think I was doing this?” While Leven was arguing with the boy, Cole took a chance and squeezed past the guards, his back pressed against the brick wall. None of the guards had noticed him so he kept going until he reached the girl.

Stooping down to her level, he placed a hand over her mouth. She screamed against it and struggled, but he shushed her. “Quiet. It’s okay. I’m not going to hurt you.” He took a chance and removed his hand. The girl didn’t scream.

“But I can’t see you,” she whispered, her eyes moving frantically from one direction to another. “How can I trust an invisible man?” Cole studied her face, trying to find some humor in her eyes. But there was none. She was serious. He looked down at himself just to make sure he really was there. Sure enough, his body was still there. So why couldn’t anyone else see him?

A loud bang rang in his ears making him jump. Turning, he saw one of the guards flat against the brick wall. The boy had his hand outstretched and seemed to be holding the man there. Leven looked as surprised as Cole did. But there was little time to examine the scene in front of them. The guards moved.

Cole cried out Leven’s name as one of the guards hurled himself at her.

Sins wrote a review...

I hath returned for chapter two!

It was a girl’s voice; no boy could ever scream like that.

Well, you'd be surprised... You don't even want to know some of the male screams I've heard in my lie (I have a vast amount of gay male friends)

He hated to admit it, but he was scared what they would find when they reached the girl.

I'd suggest you put an of after scared in this sentence

Now this is a very dramatic paragraph, and I can't help thinking you could have formatted it a little better and taken full advantage of grammatical techniques to increase shock, tension, action e.t.c.

You need a comma at the end of this dialogue

It had just occurred to him that he was a witness of a kidnapping.Obviously, this boy was here to negotiate some kind of return.

How can Cole be certain that this is a kidnapping? And that this boy was here to negotiate a return? I haven't noticed anything specific that gives that away thus fair.

“We’re not here to help,” Leven protested. “We were on our way to school when…” she turned and looked at Cole.

You need to capitalise she in this

Because of where you placed this dialogue tag, I thought the boy said this for a moment rather than Leven. I'd suggest placing the dialogue tag on the next line to avoid any kind of confusion :)

“Me?” he pointed to the guys behind him.

You need to capitalise he

I think this may be my favourite chapter so far (granted there's only been one, but I mean including the prologue as well), so I am certainly impressed with this chapter. I love that you're progressing the story and I'm definitely very intrigued to find out what's going to happen next and how this whole invisibility thing works with Cole. I'm also eager to find out who the girls is who's being kidnapped because it seems like she must be important, so really well done for capturing my interest like you have. Your grammar and punctuation is still of good quality too, and with some tweaks to it here and there it will more or less be perfect methinks. Basically an awesome chapter overall :)

The problem now is that everyone else has basically covered all of my critiques. I agree that you could sometimes do with more descriptions in your writing, it is a little odd how Cole randomly just disappeared because it does seem like there should have been some signs of something like this beforehand, and I do find it kind of odd that nobody else noticed this situation if the girl was screaming while five guys surrounded her and another boy attempted to save her. I mean, it's a pretty noticeable scenario. I understand that this place's population is meant to be low, but still... if it's pretty early in the day then it's likely there would be a lot of people in their houses and so it seems unusual to me that no one else would have noticed this bunch. Everyone else sort of covers these issues though, so I won't stress on them and I'll leave it at that!

As for my own critiques, the one that probably bothered me the most was the way Cole instantly knew what was going on with this scenario. I mean, in effect, all he did was walk in on them while that other boy was facing the men and the girl without there being any real sign of what was actually going on. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that Cole just assumed the situation was a kidnapping for no substantial reason. If that was me and I had come across this scenario, I probably would have thought they were... I don't know, trying to rob the girl probably. Kidnapping definitely wouldn't be the first thing to come to mind anyway. If I were you, I would maybe show us readers some clearer signs of why Cole decided/realised this was a kidnapping.

And finally, this is a sugestion more than a critique to be honest. Basically, I recommend that you really milk it when it comes to grammatical techniques in order to create shock, tension, action, suspense e.t.c. in this chapter because it's full of all of that kind of stuff. What I mean by grammatical techniques are a lot of short, simple sentences because sentences like that create a sensation of speed and haste, and I'd assume that all of this happened quickly, right? I think you should really try and portray that in the writing itself. You could also include some single line paragraphs as you've done at the end of this chapter because they can be great for creating shock, tension e.t.c. as well. Do you get what I'm saying? To put it simply, use grammar to your advantage in this and don't be afraid to really go for it!

Right then, I think that's it. Another great chapter, probably the best one yet, so really well done here. I'm looking forward to checking out chapter 3 :)

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:45 am
StoneHeart wrote a review...

Heya Noelle! Black here for another quick Review!

Okay, hello again! So let me begin: This piece's pro's and con's are much alike those of the first chapter – You have better grammar, a bit messed up and out of place description, great action and pacing, good idea, rather short size, lots of prospective action, and a botched up ending. :D

So let me tell you: This piece was really great. Better than the previous one. Why, you ask: Simply because this piece had lots of violent action. Fill your story end-to-end with action and your readers will positively LOVE you! Really though: Action is what keeps a story alive and you do a great job with it! So I'm going to cover your problems really quick here (Dead-line :().

The problem with your ending is simple! There is a rule in writing: Don't use dramatic, suspensive endings to chapters too much in the same book. And well, you broke it. Why do we have this rule? Because having endings like this time and time again gets really old really quickly. You need to be very careful with it. I'd advise you to end the chapter more smoothly, let the fight end and let the real change in the story (That I suspect is coming) begin.

This would help you not only to fix your bad ending, but it would really improve your chapter's size (So you know this is a VERY small chapter. Especially for a novel). Most novels have chapters ranging from about 2,000 words to 5 or 6,000 words. Seeing as this IS YWS I'd advise you to keep your postings below 1500 words (If you want good reviews anyway), but to break up your chapters. ;)

Okay, for the problem with your descriptions. Though it's usually a very good idea to avoid extensive descriptions in a story (Especially in action), I think you would do well to toss in a few words here and there that would help to build up a view of the story. I mean, instead of saying 'The boy threw the rock at the door' you would say 'The fire-eyed boy hurled the jagged granite boulder at the sturdy door'. That was exaggerated but I'm hoping you see my point.

Anyway! I warned you this would be a quick review! Good luck here! Great work again! A bit of time and effort and you could fix a lot of your problems real easily! Again I must urge you to KEEP WRITING! You will improve!

~Black~

mystogan wrote a review...

Your story has taken off in two directions it seems. I was expecting the typical rescue scene but then you threw in this invisibility as well to make matters worse. Very clever way to twist an otherwise expectable scene.

Once again kudos on the characterisation, already have an idea about this new boy, although this chapter was considerably shorter. I think if it was longer I could have read some more on Leven, etc, it feels like the characters from the last chapter have faded away and you are focusing directly on the characters of this chapter.

Now I am curious to see how the story will progress, who is the real villain, because I have my suspicions. It would outwardly seem like the men are the villains, but there is something I don't trust about the other two. The fact that Cole went invisible seems to me like someone else's doing.

Make sure you tell me when you write your next chapter :)

Audy wrote a review...

Hey Noelle,

You write well and it's apparent in these scenes. I think the biggest problem here is the events - leading up to this scene, it seemed like a normal day for Cole -- there's this mention of a lightning storm, which I still think is rather suspicious -- and he seems to want to be home/want to see his parents.

All of sudden, on his way to school, he hears a scream and it seems to lead him to some sort of hostage/kidnapping situation. Normally, I'd ask where is everyone else/onlookers and such, but I guess that's answered away because of the small population of 500 or so, that I did think was thrown in there sort of haphazardly/randomly, but then again, it would answer this sort of question I had, so at the same time, I do think the information is needed, but maybe instead of giving us an exact number, something like it was sparsely populated/mostly deserted would work fine. The 500 just felt a bit random/jarring.

Now, as to the events of this chapter -- the deal with the invisibility felt like a deus ex machina - just something that comes from no where to help the hero in his moment of crisis. The best way to avoid this sort of situation is to foreshadow in the beginning chapter that he might have some sort of invisibility power -- or even that people seem to go missing -- basically, any sort of information that might clue the reader that something like this is going to happen, without actually telling us. That way, when we get to that scene, it won't come across as too random/too perfect/coincidental.

I hope this helps! Always a pleasure to read your works!

~ as always, Audy

Tabithalillian wrote a review...

It was a girl’s voice; no boy could ever scream like that. And she sounded scared.

I think you need a comma here and not a period. It was a girls voice, no boy could ever scream like that, and she sounded scared." To elaborate on this even more I think you should describe to us the scream to make us understand that she is scared rather than just telling us that she is scared. It's the old showing not telling again!

flew across the street and slammed into a building. Cole wouldn’t describe it as flying, but rather hurtling towards a large brick building.

Your use of the word building twice seems really repetitive and kind of awkward to read. I think you could have ended the second sentence at:
" Cole wouldn’t describe it as flying, but rather hurtling." And it would be stronger. And you would lose the strange repetitiveness.

Debris entangled his golden locks. It was a shame because Cole figured that he had really cool hair when it was properly combed.

This just seemed kind of like a strange observation. You're probably trying to give us a description of the boy without blatantly saying "he had cool hair!" But it still seemed weird for this kid to just be commenting on this boys cool hair in the middle of a fight scene.

Okay so this took a twist from sci-fi to more of a fantasy feel. I get that you were trying to describe the abruptness with which he became invisible. But it seemed really jarring and awkward. All of a sudden, bam! No one can see him. This was especially strange to read because I think I read it three or four times before I fully grasped what happened. Then he just seems to accept his invisibility and slips into action saving the little girl from the men. He seemed like a pretty nervous character at the beginning of this chapter, trying not to throw up with fear. But then he just accepts that he suddenly becomes invisible. I think you could work on this transition more but overall I think he developed a little more as a character in this section.

As if you were on fire from within. The moon lives in the lining of your skin.
— Pablo Neruda