z

Young Writers Society



Snake Wrangling-- Chapter One

by Shady


Rules for Snake Wranglers

General Guidelines

1. Don’t.

Unless you have some experience wrangling, or have an experienced wrangler with you, you are more likely to get hurt than you are to catch a snake. It is not a competition. Wait until you are actually ready.

2. Never Wrangle Alone.

Snake wrangling is a grand pastime, but, it is also a bit dangerous. I know, I know, you’re thinking, “But you said that you’ve only been bitten once! You said that I have a ‘good chance of escaping without injury’! What happened to all that?” But don’t get angry with me yet.

If you pay attention, then you are likely to wrangle without getting bitten, at least for a while. After you learn to wrangle, it seems reasonable that you shouldn’t get bitten, isn’t it? I mean, if you’ve been wrangling for years, you know what to expect, right?

That’s true, but it’s also true that you can’t control everything. You might misjudge how far the snake is from you, or how fast it’s moving, you might stumble across a particularly hateful snake, or you might simply get careless. I was wrangling for two years before a snake ever got me, and that was because I didn’t expect it to bite me. If I had been being careful, then it wouldn’t never would have gotten the chance.

So, if you get bitten, it will, most likely, be your own fault. But you can get hurt no matter how careful you are. You might be going after one snake, when another one appears out of nowhere. You might be chasing a snake, and meet a bear.

You might be running after a snake, and BOOM! A cavernous sink hole suddenly appears under you, and you’re sucked into the depths of an abandoned mining tunnel, where dwarves are waiting to carry you off.

You might be in the middle of an open field, when a shiny silver UFO with flashing red lights appears over top of you, and a plasma ray shoots down and sucks you into their spaceship, where a swarm of intergalactic rejects are waiting to warp you off into a parallel universe where they’ll make you their second cousin’s niece’s pet, and feed you lamb chops. You never know when these things will happen.

3. Be Sure of Your Target.

Randomly grabbing a tail that you see sticking out from beneath a bush isn’t a very good idea. Not only does that give the snake an opportunity to spin around and bite you, but you have no idea what you’re grabbing.

A brown tail could be the Garter snake that you’re anticipating, or it could be a Copperhead, or it could be sickly alien that was beamed to earth when he got shuttle-sick. Even a sickly alien could drag you back to his shiny silver ship, and have his intergalactic rejects suck you into their spaceship; and you remember what happens once you’re there.

All because you didn’t take time to identify whether you were grabbing a Garter snake or the tentacle of a sickly intergalactic reject. Don’t become a statistic. Identify your target first, grab later.

4. Learn to Identify.

In West Virginia, there are only two venomous snakes: the Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake and the Northern Copperhead. As a result, identifying and avoiding venomous snakes in West Virginia is a fairly easy task, as long as you actually take time to identify each snake before you go grabbing at it. (See Snake Identification)

But there are many types of non-venomous snakes, and you should be able to identify them as well. Now, you might be tempted to say, “Now, Miss Supreme Highness, what does it matter what kind of snake I’m grabbing, as long as it isn’t venomous? A snake’s a snake.”

That’s right, but only to a certain degree. If you’re certain that a snake isn’t venomous, then you can be certain that the worst it can do is bite you; but who wants to get bitten? Not I, that’s for sure.

But error in your identification can get you bitten.

Don’t believe me? Here’s an example: you see a snake with band around its neck. What is it? Well, your initial response is probably something like, “Well that’s easy. If it’s got a band around its neck, then it’s a ringneck.”

But is it really? Maybe. But maybe not. Did you know that a racer has a band around its neck too? If you know your identification well, then it the difference is blatantly obvious; but if you don’t, then you might mistake a Racer for a Ring neck.

So you say, “Alright. I see how I can make that mistake, but what does it matter?”

Well, if you think you’re trying to catch a ringneck, and you’re actually chasing a Racer, then you’ll be in for a surprise. I hope you see how mistaking a really fast Racer for a mostly harmless, relatively slow moving ringneck, can make a difference.

Alright, I have sufficiently beaten that dead horse, so I’ll move on.

5. Don’t Talk Unless Absolutely Necessary

6. Walk Softly

The explanation for rules five and six is the same, and that is: both give you a better chance of catching a relaxed snake. The reason behind this is simple. Snakes can’t hear the way humans can. What snakes do to ‘hear’, so to say, is they sense vibrations in the ground.

And yes, no matter how slender you are, you make the very ground shake beneath you when you walk. So walking and speaking softly reduces vibrations; and it only follows that snakes that aren’t agitated by your presences make for more agreeable specimens.

7. Release Where You Catch

I believe that this rule is self-explanatory. If you catch a snake, release it in its native habitat. This isn’t to say that you can’t remove the snake to show your mom (another excellent way to get a reaction, by the way, and one that you can enjoy, as long as the snake is secure in your hands); only that if you take the snake away, be sure you put it back where you found it.

8. Don’t Try To Catch A Snake Facing You

Unless you are an experienced snake wrangler (meaning you have lost your fear of snakes; have caught many; know how snakes respond to your actions; and know what to do when snakes respond differently than expected), then trying to catch a snake facing you is a bad idea. Just don’t. If you’re not sure whether or not you’re ready to try it, then you’re not.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
378 Reviews


Points: 3775
Reviews: 378

Donate
Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:05 pm
View Likes
Omni wrote a review...



SHADY! I mean, here to review!

My name is Quest, or Omni if you're old (and you're olllddd Shady) and I will be reviewing this work for you! Why, because it's in the Green Room, and it's Review Day! Shiny, I know! So, without further ado, let me begin this review!

So, to start off, I want to say that this is an informational essay, so my review will be harder, different, but I will try to get it finished! Cheer me on!

1. Don’t.


That's about the best advice that could be given on something like this. It could have been written in a better way then it was, although you did a fine job.

You might be running after a snake, and BOOM! A cavernous sink hole suddenly appears under you, and you’re sucked into the depths of an abandoned mining tunnel, where dwarves are waiting to carry you off


Wait...What?

All because you didn’t take time to identify whether you were grabbing a Garter snake or the tentacle of a sickly intergalactic reject.


Wha...? This suddenly turned from a how-to to a space invasion. You would be the one to do that Shady.

As to not confuse the reader, I suggest that you put 5 and 6 together, as in: 5/6: Don't talk, Walk lightly, or something along those lines.

I like this. It was funny and just something to read on your off time. One of the only things that I would like in here is a closing paragraph. Even how-to's need closings, and this one doesn't have it.

Other than that, I like it!

I hope you do more!
Quest




User avatar
463 Reviews


Points: 12208
Reviews: 463

Donate
Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:23 am
View Likes
megsug wrote a review...



Hey Shady,

So... I didn't like this one as much. If you're legitimately just going to have a book with guidelines for actually wrangling actual snakes, then you need to make it really, really funny. If I was reading this in Books-A-Million, I would have probably put it down at this point because there wasn't enough funny. Let's face it. Most people who read this aren't going to actually care about how to wrangle a snake, so make it comprehensible, but I would suggest really, really hitting the funny button. A suggestion would be threading the alien abduction theme through the entire chapter instead of just two bullets.

1. Don’t.

Unless you have some experience wrangling, or have an experienced wrangler with you, you are more likely to get hurt than you are to catch a snake. It is not a competition. Wait until you are actually ready.

This isn't really saying don't do it. I was kind of expecting some witty 'yeah this is stupid. Stop know and close the book.' Instead... the point is blurry. Each sentence is practically a different idea.
First: As a newb, don't go out alone. (which is covered by rule two, by the way)
Second: Don't compete... With who...? You've only mentioned the experienced wrangler. And what are you competing for? Catching a snake first? Getting experienced first? This sentence was the one I had the most problem with.
I think you need to pinpoint exactly what you're trying to say and make it as funny as possible. I know. I was telling you that you were kind of cheesy and annoying, but I can see where you're going now, and funny is necessary. This is the first part of the first chapter. If your readers don't like this, you're toast.


then it wouldn’t never would have gotten the chance.


You might be chasing a snake, and meet a bear.

Loved this.

or it could be a sickly alien that was beamed to earth when he got shuttle-sick.


(See Snake Identification)

We don't have it yet. :'(

Well, your initial response is probably something like, “Well that’s easy. If it’s got a band around its neck, then it’s a ringneck.”

But is it really? Maybe. But maybe not. Did you know that a racer has a band around its neck too? If you know your identification well, then it the difference is blatantly obvious; but if you don’t, then you might mistake a Racer for a Ring neck.

So, as someone who doesn't know that much about snakes... I think you could play up how 'obvious' the difference between a ringneck and a Racer is and how easy identification is. Maybe you're doing it, but not enough because I didn't really get that vibe.

5. Don’t Talk Unless Absolutely Necessary

Me: Shady, you didn't......... Oooh! XD

That's it for me. I kind of get the feeling you ran out of jokes toward then end, but it was amusing in some parts and informative. Really, it wasn't that bad of a read which is a great feat considering this basically a how to book.

Great job.
Egs





Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
— Albert Einstein