z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Crash and Burn

by klennon14


Bare feet

cold toes

where she hides

no one knows

tuck you hair

behind pale ears

to only live

in a place of fear

where birds won't sing

and the sun won't rise

they flap their wings

but without the light

they cannot see

they crash and burn

the flames, they lick

upon the fur

of tiny doe

that blur right past

the fire crackles

ignites a path

that chases down

my ripped raw throat

my lifeless fingers

that take these notes

tap against

the fractured glass

let's make these hours

only last.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 261
Reviews: 20

Donate
Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:12 pm
SinisterPotatoe says...



I like this poem very much. It is obvious to me that you have talent, but being new to writing and this site I have no idea what it is about. Could you tell me what it is about? However the rhythm of the poem was great, and it came together very well. I think I might review some of your other work as well. All in all, a great poem. Thank you for sharing!




User avatar


Points: 428
Reviews: 3

Donate
Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:44 pm
BethsLlama says...



Really nice poem! The rhythm was really great and I loved the power that each word in the poem had!




User avatar
172 Reviews


Points: 4915
Reviews: 172

Donate
Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:24 am
RagingLive wrote a review...



Hello, hello! RagingLive here to review your poem!! You are still fairly new to the site, so I'm going to start by saying welcome to YWS! I hope you enjoy the all of the fellow writers' company and the wealth of knowledge among us!

First off, I absolutely loved this poem and I will try and make sure that I give a worthy review that will not only help you, but that others, even me, can benefit from as well.
I will probably take it line-by-line except for those that are just right the way that they are, so my suggestive words will be in bold. And we're off!!

The title was what originally drew me in and then the fact that you started the poem off strong with rhythm and rhyme flowing almost effortlessly. I want to warn you, though, that it does get hard to read because there are not sectioned off phrases or paragraphs to go by. This can make it hard to decipher certain parts later on. Since you're going by an A/B A/B rhythm I suggest breaking them up with a few dashes every four sentences to aide the reader's comprehension. If you have a question about this let me know! :)

where birds won't sing

and the sun won't rise

they flap their wings

but without the light

they cannot see

Here you broke you A/B A/B pattern and it really confused me. maybe you could strike the last, fifth phrase and do something like this:
"Where birds won't sing / and the sun won't rise / they flap their wings / but they have no sight"
Sound doable for your poem? It's up to you!

my ripped raw throat

my lifeless fingers

that take these notes

I liked these lines the best for some reason, but it kind of confused at how you started talking of a girl - third person, I mean - and by the end you're in first. Is this intentional as if you were writing about a girl? If so, you might want to try and find a way to clarify this for others.

let's make these hours

only last.

You kind of need two more syllables to keep the pattern here, maybe try replacing 'last with 'forever.'

I really loved your poem and I think you will fit in great around here! If you have any questions or just want to chat, feel free to PM me!
I can't wait to see more of your works in the future, so keep writing and keep on smiling!

~RaginLive




User avatar
66 Reviews


Points: 5274
Reviews: 66

Donate
Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:28 am
View Likes
iamanaspiringwriter wrote a review...



Wow, I really like this poem. You really nail the rhyming and the descriptions! I feel as though the rhythm of the poem I feel like could be sing-songy or quite grave, just me personally. The imagery in this poem is great, and there is just something that I can't explain that I really like, but I like it, so great job! Keep on writing!




klennon14 says...


Thank you! :)



klennon14 says...


Thank you! :)



User avatar
271 Reviews


Points: 414
Reviews: 271

Donate
Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:28 am
View Likes
Gravity wrote a review...



Hiya there!
Gravity here to give you a review on your poem. I want to give you a warning. I review poems an stories pretty harshly depending on what I see wrong with them. The following review is to be taken merely as a suggestion to help you learn and grow as a writer. If you don't agree with me, that's perfectly fine. You know your work much better than I do, but I'm here to give you the reader's perspective, so pretty please don't take that personally.

Onward with the review!

So as far as the concept of your poem goes, it's nothing new. There are many people who feel despair and depression and in your description you weren't very specific about the meaning of your poem which is fine, just pointing that out. But because this particular subject has been done over and over again, it can begin to feel impersonal unless you add a unique twist. And I feel like I've read and seen this before. Again, that's nothing personal to you, there were definitely some very good lines and descriptions in here, and you probably did not write this poem for others, you wrote it to express yourself.

Let's talk about your structure. You didn't have stanzas. Don't get confused by this, a stanza does not necessarily need to be separated clearly by a space or line, it's separated by an idea. So the structure of your poem resembles a run on sentence. Also, there are little spelling mistakes and words left out that I think you could fix if you went back and looked. Also with structure, your rhyme scheme is very inconsistent. I find that you sometimes disrupt the rhythm just to rhyme which I didn't like.

no one knows

tuck you hair

behind pale ears

to only live

in a place of fear


The line "in a place of fear" just seems very jolting. You had a great smooth rhythm but it was disrupted.

At the end the last few lines are "let's make these hours/only last." Which I didn't like because 1. the sentence makes no sense 2. it was another place in which you tried too hard to rhyme and 3. the rhythm was disrupted once more.

Okay, now that the nasty, negative parts of the review are over, let me talk about some of the positive things.

I really loved the imagery in your poem. The metaphors you put in here were phenomenal. When you start talking about the burning bird, that's really when it started getting interesting for me. It's almost like you used the bird as a symbol for freedom and the doe as a symbol of innocence, like they were destroyed for you. That's sort of the vibe I'm getting right now. The way you used fire both in a literal way (burning the bird and the doe) and then metaphorically, when it goes down your throat... you described this with a finesse that I found very interesting and I was quite impressed, actually.

I think you have a really great foundation here, your imagery and descriptions. I think you need to work on your structure but that comes more with experience. You have the great first steps, imagery and description. I'm very curious to see where you go with this.

I know I can be a meanie head, I'm sorry, I promise I'm just trying to help you. Please keep writing, you have really great potential!

XOXO,
Gravity




klennon14 says...


You are NOT a "meanie head," because your review was very thoughtful and helpful! I love reviewers who tell me they see rough patches and how to smooth them out! That's the only way I will grow as a writer.
I must say, I don't typically rhyme with a majority of my poems. Rhyming can seem forces at times, but I was in the mood to post this piece. When you mention my rhyming scheme being all over the place, I am fully aware of that ha ha! That's why I posted this, so others could give me advice on how to iron things out. I'm also pretty rusty with my poetry, because I have been solely focusing on prose for a while. I'm not fond of the ending of this poem myself. Do you have any suggestions on how to go out with a bang?
Thank you so much for your review, it really helped me!




Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
— Ann Landers