Home » Literary works » Other » Other

What is Art?

by WritingWolf

Hi there, I'm taking a drawing/painting/art class, and the first assignment was to desripe what art is. So I want ot get y'alls opinions on it too. :)

~~~~~

Art is a mirror. One can create, or merely look at it, and see their own thoughts hidden within.

Most people will say things like "Art is beautiful" or "Art is a way to express yourself" when they are trying to describe "art". Both of those are true, but art is far to complex for such simple answers.
Art is only beautiful because we can relate to it. Even the simplest drawings, or the most far fetched ones, have something in them which mirrors everyone around it.
Art is only a way to express yourself because it is a mirror of you, and all the people around you.
So while many people have many different ways to define "art", when it comes down to it, art is simply a mirror.
I know you are probably expecting some further explanation for what I mean by "mirror", but that my friend, is why art is not only a mirror, but a very, very dirty mirror. It only lets you see a small portion of what it is, and who you are, everything else we must piece together ourselves.
So exactly what I mean by saying "Art is a mirror" will be different for everyone. For me, there need be no further explanation. I am content with that one sentence. For you, it may need to be built upon till you could write a hole book on it. For the next person, they may simply need a poem to describe it. For this dirty mirror lets us all see a different amount of itself, so how much of our own imagination we use when defining it, well that changes. The best I can do is give you the base, for which you may build off of.
So with that said, next time you see a piece of artwork, ask yourself just how much this mirror is showing you of yourself.

~~~~~

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read this!

ArcticMonkey wrote a review...

Hiya Wolf! I saw you posted this in our team's forums, so I'll try my best to give you a helpful review here :D

Starting off with the things I liked, I think the whole message of it was really clever. Art is a mirror, not only a mirror but a dirty mirror. I thought that was really cool and at the beginning when it said art is a mirror, I got a bit confused, but I like how it was then further explained later on in the piece.

As for critiques, there are a couple of things I shall mention. I'm probably going to avoid nitpick because in all honesty I couldn't really spot very many Anyways, the first thing I want to say is that I didn't really like how much the word 'mirror' was used before it was then explained. Obviously, you can't avoid the word, but I think you should mention 'Art in a mirro' in the first line, and then go n about whether art is beautiful etc, then talk about why art is a mirror. Okay, I'm probably making no sense right now, but basically to hear Art is a Mirror so many times gets a bit boring, and then taken away from the message behind it.

I don't really like how this par is broken up into different paragraphs, because really a new paragraph/s isn't needed and it slows down the piece. With one/two line paragraphs, they're most effective when used minimally. For example your first paragraph which is one line works really well, you don't want to overdo it.

Lastly, I'm just going to talk a bit about what you're actually saying. I mean, I'm a bit clueless when it comes to art, so I know that art is different to everyone. It says "Most people say art is beautiful"- however do they? When you're talking about what other people think of art you only talk about the positives rather than the negatives, and i know some people don't think art is all that great, and they don't really appreciate it- so you might want to talk about that too. Also, if a seemingly bad person makes art, foes there art turn out bad, or show their best qualities? Basically, I'd like to see more about the negatives- or what people think is negative- of art.

To sum up, this was a really interesting read. I've never actually heard art being called a mirror, and I actually agree so much that it's a reflection of people's work. Next steps would be to brush up on some technical things, and also be a bit more balanced with the views you give. Well I hope this review helped, PM me with questions or if you'd like another review.

Just keep writing!
-Arc x

WritingWolf says...

Wow, thank you so much! This is really helpful. :)

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:19 pm
noninjaes wrote a review...

Hallo there! I'm here to review this article today! :D

This certainly was an interesting an thoughtful piece on what is art. I certainly like the comparison of art to a mirror. Though, it isn't just painting and drawing that fits this description, it's all the creative arts. Writers, poets, actors, and such all put a little bit of their true selves into their work, as I'm sure you agree.

As for the actual writing itself, your language was nice and clear and crisp. I had no problem understanding what you were saying in this. Your formatting a descriptions are also up to par. I like how you explored.

Though as a nitpick, "Art is only a way to express yourself because it is a mirror of you, and all the people around you." is tautology of the line before it and doesn't really need to be in the article.

You're grammar doesn't look like it needs any touching up. So in conclusion, a good and interesting article, albeit short. I really would have liked to see these ideas explored more, but you stated your reasons. So on that not, as always, keep writing!
- noninjaspresent >(> ==)>*

Veeren wrote a review...

Yo, WritingWolf. I'm here to tell you all about the wonders of your piece :D

Art is a mirror. One can create

This doesn't really connect as much as you'd want it to :P You can't necessarily create on a mirror. I'd say: Art is a canvas. This way, it flows nicely into the rest of the line.

"Art is beautiful"

Put these quotes in italics if you want to make them aesthetically pleasing. And you might want to add a comma after this particular one.

to describe "art".

We already know you're talking about art, so it sounds redundant repeating it here. Replace it with the word 'it' and you'll be fine.
Also, combine the second and third paragraph, since you're staying on the same topic.

most far fetched ones

Far-fetched should have a dash between it.

I know you are probably expecting

Talking to the audience in this type of way when writing an essay is frowned upon. Especially when you say 'my friend' later on. That's more of a novel writing style than an essay one.

we must piece together ourselves.

Sounds more like a puzzle than a mirror 0.o Maybe you should make it 'clean up ourselves'.

upon till you could write a hole book

'Until', not till, and 'whole', not hole.

And I suppose the rest is fine.

Alright, I see you based most of what you said off of the fact that you think art is like a mirror, and I know I told you to change that, but if you really don't want to, it would be fine to just change that first line so it makes more sense.
You need a bit of editing, sometimes you sound like you don't even know how to explain yourself, so you just say 'it's different for everyone'.
Other than that, good job, and keep on writing :D

WritingWolf says...

Thank you very much for the review!!!

Demeter wrote a review...

Hi there, WritingWolf!

Interesting thoughts on art! It's always fascinating to read how others view different things, in this case art. :)

Most people will say things like "Art is beautiful" or "Art is a way to express yourself" when they are trying to describe "art".

I'm not sure whether you mean people in general, but this made me think you were referring to the other people in your class. I also don't know how "serious" this assignment is, but I'd still suggest not talking about others and what their view might be and comparing it with yours. This can make you sound a bit arrogant when you want to appear humble. And if you just want to bring up a general idea, I think you should phrase it a little differently.

I know you are probably expecting some further explanation for what I mean by "mirror", but that my friend, is why art is not only a mirror, but a very, very dirty mirror.

I'd also advise you against calling the reader "my friend", as this sounds a bit patronising.

One more thing: for a relatively short text, you use the word "mirror" a lot. I know this is the main theme in your text, but it started sounding repetitive at some point. Maybe try and experiment with different words to say it - play around with the word reflection and maybe even looking-glass.

All in all, nice job! Good luck!

Demeter
x

WritingWolf says...

Thank you very much! I enjoyed reading your comments on my word selection, and will try to do better in the future!

PenguinAttack wrote a review...

Hi Writingwolf!

With this first line, I think you need to clarify the mirror a little more before you introduce creation. This is just because while we can create art, and do often, not everyone can create a mirror! Perhaps if you describe some kind of mirror as a hook - I don't know if your teacher is interested in being hooked into the art writing! But I wouldn't mind you saying the bit about the dirty mirror at the beginning. It's clever and it works, and is true!

You need to work a bit on connecting your ideas together like here:

Make this into one paragraph by using that first line and then saying "In this way, when we express ourselves through art, it is because the mirror reflects us and those around us. So while..." This way your writing flows together and you keep hooking people in through the use of "us" so we feel included in what's going on.

I enjoy your final line, I think it's a good, succinct summary. This is a good little piece and I appreciate it for what you want to call art. You might want to throw in a technical definition but if this is what you see it as, it's what you see it as. Nice work.

Hit me up if you have any questions, queries or just want to chat.

~ Pen.

WritingWolf says...

Thank you for the wonderful review! I think I probably will re-write this sometime, and when I do I'll make sure to remember what you (and everyone else) said. :)

beckiw wrote a review...

Hey WritingWolf :)

Just popped by to pull your work from the grips of the green room!

I really enjoyed your definiton of art. It was really quite insightful. I know my Mum always says to me that different peole respond to different pieces of art because it says something to them or it hits a certain part of who they are, it resonates with them if you will. So I quite agree with what you have written here.

I think it's important to differentiate with the random art people put on their walls to decorate their house and those pieces that people hold dear, that mean something to them.

Look at me just rambling. I only noticed two nitpicks -

Numero 1 - but art is far to complex - think you meant 'too'
Numero 2 - For you, it may need to be built upon till you could write a hole book on it. - think you meant 'whole'

The only other thing I would suggest is perhaps writing in a little more about the dirty mirror bit because I don't think you explained that as well as the other bits. I think you need to flesh it out a touch more.

Other than that, I really enjoyed this. You made me think about how I perceive art and what it shows me about myself. Good work!

Let me know if you have any questions or just wanna chat about art!

Bex x

WritingWolf says...

Thank you so much!

Trident wrote a review...

Hi WritingWolf, my thoughts here:

There is a difference between stating "art is a mirror" and then defending the argument and the idea of interpreting art.

Since a mirror shows something different for everyone, it is surely a subjective idea. Not everyone can say the same thing about art because everyone is different and they can only bring their own experiences to the table when observing art.

That said, you really do need to explain why art is like a mirror more. Some people might argue that art isn't a mirror. That art is a soul put up on a pedestal and that it can only be accessed by the artist. They would argue that art doesn't reflect those who look at it, but remains a piece that cannot be touched by its observers.

You need to address these people and tell them why they are wrong. If art is a mirror, then art changes depending upon who is looking at it. In your essay you simply dismiss the idea that this premise could be wrong, but without an actual foundation, you don't have a solid argument.

You've stumbled upon a theme in philosophy that has been debated since the Ancient Greeks. They have debated the idea for thousands of years. So you really need more of an answer than "that one short sentence is enough".

Why is art a mirror? Why does it reflect back on us? And should art reflect the observer as opposed to the creator? These are questions you should answer.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

WritingWolf says...

I guess your right, I do need to include why art is like a mirror. But with what you said, about it reflecting the observer instead of the creator, I forgot to mention it in the essay, but if you stand of to the side of a mirror doesn't it reflect what is on the other side of it?

And when I said "that one short sentence is enough" I said specifically that it was enough for me. And in that last part I had kinda intended it to be a subtle way of saying that I really could go on and on, but I am content with where I left off.

Thank you so much for the review! I'll try to keep that in mind if I ever write something like this again!

Every time our next guest is here, all of our lives are seriously in danger.
— David Letterman