Majordomo

by birk

~

I never grew up the way you wanted me to.

Or the way I should.

You watched me make restless decisions,

and poor friendships.

I always used to think that TV raised me,

to the point that I almost want to quote ‘The Cable Guy’.

“I learned the facts of life, from watching The Facts of Life!”

And then I sing Jefferson Airplane.

But I don’t.

Instead,

I realize that while TV raised an unfocused part of me,

you raised the most important part.

Who I ultimately am.

I just never realized it.

Twenty-four years later,

I think I’m finally who you raised me to be.

Better late than never,

right?

Love you dad,

We’ll have a beer next time I’m home.

Even though neither of us drink.

~

BrandonWalker wrote a review...

We hardly ever stop our life, simply to take a moment and thank those to forever changed their life to raise us.

I find this piece very touching and I have no doubt people will react to it.

the conflict created between expectaions and reality strikes us long before it strikes out parents- for their supernatural patience. The 'Who am I' vs. 'Who am I expected to become' is but the first conflict, that serves as 'The big band of self exploring questions' if you will.

Reading this I could remember how I felt the first time I was asking myself
'Who am I?'
'Why am I the person I am today'
'What kind of person do I want to become'

And from my expirience - Better late then never.

I would love to see you writing longer pieces so I can see more of that honesty.

Lumi wrote a review...

This will be quick because my comments are few and condensed.

I'm not one to understand the love of a father or for a father, so regardless of construction or evocation, this poem ends up being a moot point for me. It's clearly personal and it feels very much like a mailed letter in that I wouldn't want to be in the room when the father reads it. Instead, I'd rather hear through the grapevine that someone cried, or that there was a long moment of silence when he realized how much he missed you.

Regardless, it's a stream-of-consciousness mail delivery and therefore lacks concise and expert flow. I think you could remedy this by figuring out shorter ways of reaching your points that don't deliver much heat--

Twenty-four years later,
I think I'm finally who you raised me to be.
Better late than never,
right?

or rather find a way to write it so that it's less prosaic. In total, this could be transformed into an article form and have more of an impact for me because I have different standards for poetry. As it stands, there's not much poetic about it, and so yeah, I'd rather see it in prose form.

All that said, it's not quite as sentimental to hear "Your son wrote you a letter" as opposed to "Your son wrote you a poem." It may be a cultural difference, but the latter has more shock value. It's even how I've considered coming out to my father--poems are weird conduits that way.

Give it some thought on whether you want this to be taken by critics as a poem or taken sentimentally by loved ones, whether you want poetic elements, or if you want to leave personal references personal. In a matter like this, it's all ultimately up to your taste and judgment.

Ty

Lumi says...

ETA: I love the title. Keep it.

Rook wrote a review...

Hey.

I've seen a lot of poetry addressed to fathers and/or mothers, and it never ceases to amaze me how different most of them are. They must all be a reflection of the relationships, which vary between every human on the planet. Anyway, I liked this.

The first stanza felt a little to vague to me, especially when it's followed by such a specific poem.
Conversely, the second stanza seems a little too specific for me. I don't really know Who this Cable guy is, and I don't recognize the quote, and I don't know what song it is you're trying to sing. So basically, that entire stanza was a big, fat goose egg, aside from the first line, which I think is my favorite line in the whole thing.

So if you could find a middle area between the specificities (is that a word?) of the two stanzas, I think then you could have a really nice, consistent poem. :]

Most of the rest of my review would have been asking for a little more meat, but the meat I would be asking for seems a little personal. Basically, go down your poem, line by line, and ask the question that the line inspires (i.e. "you raised the most important part" => what part would the most important part be? Kindness? Morals? Street smarts?") Answer that question (if you can), and then decide if it's important/relevant enough to include in the poem, or if it's a distraction. You may decide that it's perfect the way it is.

This grammar really doesn't matter but it bothered me.

Love you dad,

Is that really how you want to punctuate that?

Also, not sure why you have italics. It kinda makes my eyes hurt. :P

I can tell this was a personal poem, so I think that's where I'll leave my review. Let me know if you have any questions.

~fort

Half goat, half fish, all goatfish.
— OSP Red