12+

Frost Lark News 8/28/16

by sheysse

Frost Lark News                                                                                                                       8/28/16

A man has been reported throughout the town. If you see this man, say nothing. Or he will find you. But how do you know if you have seen this man? There are a few simple steps to identify him:

Is he a man? If so, then you may be looking at The Man. Urgently read step two.

Does he have a face similar to your late great-grandmother? Then it could be The Man.

Does he have a very noticeable Scottish accent? Then do not worry. The Man has a Russian accent.

If he has a Russian Accent, then it is probably The Man.

If you have seen The Man, then tell your family you love them. Grab a couple of pieces of pie and switch the television channel to your favorite show. Best to be happy in your last days.

We at the Newspaper Printing Facility would like to remind you of what to do when you have finished reading a print. Please stack the newspaper on top of a Siamese cat. If you do not have access to a Siamese Cat, a gosling with a yellow left foot should do. Now take this (insert choice animal here) and bring it your local dump. Look at the dump. If you see a man with your late great-grandmother’s face there, run. If not, admire the dump. You will probably never need to look at it again. Then take the (insert choice animal here) and bring it home. Remove the print and fold it. Do not fold it like a hamburger. You can’t fold hamburgers anyway. Fool. Once you have folded it in an unspecified way, throw it out your bathroom window. By the next morning, the demons hiding in your closet should have devoured it and claimed your soul as payment for doing the labor.

We regret to inform you that Elderly Mister Finch was killed in an unsolved arson case this morning. The government says not to think anything of it. In fact, they tell me that I should not even be writing about it. But if I didn’t write about, then how would you find out? Don’t blame the government. They’re just doing their job- keeping the citizens they govern in the dark about everything other than what they plan to do with the baseball field in the Frost Lark Park.

Health Tips

Korean individuals have been proven to live longer on average than any other heritage. So if you want to live longer, then just become Korean!

Now for a survey:

What is your favorite color? Circle one of the following:

Blue

Yellow

The Empty Blackness of the Void

Moldy Bread

I Don’t Acknowledge the Existence of Color

On September 23rd, The Art Center of Frost Lark will put on a production of Annie. If you wish to audition, you are wrong. You do not want to audition. You have been warned. If you still want to audition, report to The Art Center of Frost Lark Lobby tomorrow, August 29th, at precisely 9:04 A.M. wearing a beret. People with the ability to whistle while balancing a glass of water on their head are encouraged to try out. Anyone who survives the vigorous auditioning process will have the privilege to perform in Annie, before being locked in a room floating in the void for the rest of their existence.

More on The Man. He has collected twenty seven men and women and is holding them in a well hidden pit located somewhere in Frost Lark. After combing over the entire town, we have found nothing. If you know anything at all, then we encourage you to report it immediately to a well-hidden organization, that which we do not know the name of.

ADVERTISEMENT SPACE

Space is empty. There is a star or two. Or thirty million, but it’s basically empty. All government approved books say this. But we want to go past the emptiness and reach what hasn’t been reached yet! And so we plan to do what no one has done before. We will make a triple double quintuplet quarter pounder. McDonalds. I’m lovin’ it!

ADVERTISEMENT SPACE

Alcohol makes you do bad things. Alcohol is the enemy. Hate alcohol. You can only hate one thing, and that is alcohol. Do not hate anything else, like, say, the government. Hate alcohol.

-Walmart

A new science program is to be held in town hall. Signups are in the library. Your child will learn all about physics and biology. Of course, this knowledge is useless because citizens of Frost Lark do not believe in science. But it will be a good experience for your child. The extracurricular event will include- a short lesson on plant cell matter, study on the reason why gravity only partially affects our town and what gravity is like in the rest of the world, and the customary twelve second hand washing routine.

One man has been seen attempting to fight The Man. He held a shining katana and challenged The Man to duel. The challenger holding the katana, Alan Sherwick, is notorious around town for is obsession with the Japanese culture. He shouted at The Man “I challenge you to a duel on the samurai word!” No one wanted to explain that samurais don’t have an oath keeping system known as the samurai word and that he meant ninja. The Man was clearly intimidated, because he let out a series of beeps similar to the sound system used to orally characterize Morse Code on a majority of 20th century steam ships, before vanishing in a misty puff of smoke. The Man has still not released his hostages, and it is unclear if he ever intends to.

A young child, not older than ten, has vandalized he printing factory and placed their sloppy

SHyaNNe TennErVA

signature halfway down on every newspaper. She was immediately seized by the Frost Lark police force and put in a correctional facility for the next twenty eight years of her life. Remember that this is the punishment for minor crimes, like:

Bank Robberies

Arson

Second Class Murder

Genocide

Disorderly Conduct

If you commit a major offense, expect a more severe punishment, like selling your soul to devil so that you suffer in the fiery pits of hell for eternity. Unless you aren’t Christian.

Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:57 pm
IvoryRose wrote a review...

Hi there I’m back,sorry I haven’t been on much. Started 8th grade and honors class. ….and journalism. Oh well review time. Now I’ve never heard of Welcome to Nightvale,please tell me what that is! I miss the turtle,will he be coming back or has left Frost Lark. I love the fact that Frost Lark is just a town doing its own thing kinda reminds me of one near where I live. I like the fact that you put a PSA there and that it’s from Walmart. My favorite color has to be The Empty Blackness of the Void. I hope the Frost Lark Annie Production comes to my city. Good luck with the false samurai or weeboo. I think the Russian might be hiding in Aventura (idk how to spell it) because lots of Russians are moving there. Sorry for such a short review,lots of homework. -IvoryRose

sheysse says...

Thanks for the review! Welcome to Night Vale is a podcast which was the original inspiration for Frost Lark News... You can find it online, on YouTube.

If you're wondering why this doesn't have all the usual characters, this was actually from last year. Just so you're aware, in case you hadn't noticed.

IvoryRose says...

Oh I thought it said 2017,I got confused. ;.; Thank you!

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:43 pm
Sujana says...

Haha. You really have a knack for mimicry--this does sound like something a Welcome to Nightvale episode would have. That's actually quite a good thing, because WTNV is difficult as hell to imitate. Good job.

I'd review this, but you definitely have enough reviews to last you a lifetime.

sheysse says...

sheysse says...

I can still hardly believe that this is in the Literary Spotlight and is one of the top ten novel chapters of August... It was only up for three days in August! Thanks for all the support and expect chapter two up tomorrow.

Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:05 am
Astronomer wrote a review...

Heylo, Sheyren.
This is Moonwatcher here to kick this out of the Green Room.

I see this is based on Welcome to Nightvale. I really should get back into this, but I originally listened to the Podcast with a friend. Then again, I'm only on Episode One. I see that Mage reviewed quite a lot of this so sorry if this isn't so helpful.

Where did the weather section go?

Alright, first of all, I think we can get a little bit more of an insight of what Frost Lark is like. The location, size, and what not. I imagine some northern Canadian city. Probably cold.

I think maybe /all/ headlines could be in bold. This could make the article appear a little bit more organized, and easier to read.

ADVERTISEMENT SPACE

i'm definitely loving it I really like this part.

I suggest maybe adding something a little different than Welcome to Nightvale, so things aren't so similar. That's all I really have to say. Good job!

sheysse says...

Thanks for the review! I'll post "chapter" two tomorrow and slowly as the prints build up more info will fall into place. And yes, it is a Canadian town. I'll hopefully make that more that more obvious in the next chapter, Glad you reviewed. Now, what are you doing? Why aren't you already back into Night Vale? xD

Astronomer says...

I have to wait on people and see if they're still interested in watching Night Vale as a group thing, haha.

TheSilverFox says...

I'm amazed that anybody in this town is still alive. Unless the citizens are all crazy too. :P

sheysse says...

Maybe they aren't alive. Maybe they never were. Who knows? Maybe they weren't ever alive. MUAHAHAHAGA

sheysse says...

Wow, thay typo just ruined my evil laugh.

sheysse says...

That typo ruined my comment on typos ruining things.

AlexOfLight says...

XD!

Mageheart wrote a review...

Hi, Sheyren! Mage here to review your work. So let's get to it, shall we? :D

I can see many parallels with Welcome to Night Vale; each one makes me grin because we both know how obsessed with it I am. I have an important question regarding the nature of this news. Is this supposed to be a newspaper instead of a radio station? If it is, you mention an update on The Man. If you want to have something like that, I suggest making it online and stating that in the first couple of sentences. For example, have something about the newspaper updating and becoming digital.

Now for the specifics.

There are a few simple steps to identify him:

Does he have a very notable Scottish accent? Then do not worry. The Man has a Russian accent.

I think you mean "noticeable" and not "notable". Also, since this is a professional news source, you would most likely want to put "It is" before "best" in the last sentence.

Now take this (Insert choice animal here) and bring it your local dump.

Time for a quick lesson on parentheses! If it's a sentence or more than one sentence in the parentheses, capitalize the first letter. If it isn't, like in this piece of text, and is just a phrase, keep the first letter lowercase.

By the next morning, the demons hiding in your closet should have devoured it and claimed your soul as payment for doing the labor.

I just really liked this line. :D

They’re just doing their job- keeping the citizens they govern in the dark about everything other than what they plan to do with the baseball field in the Frost Lark Park.

Dog park? There should be a space before the hyphen.

b]Health Tips[/b]

You don't do coding in works on YWS. That's just for regular posts. Instead, there's an option at the top of the page when you're editing/submitting it. If you can't find it, ask me for help.

Korean people have been proven to live longer on average than any other heritage.

Like I said earlier, this is a professional news source. "People" is too general of a term; a better word would be "individuals".

Now for a survey:

Blue

Yellow

The Empty Blackness of the Void

Moldy Bread

I have three things to say about this. The first is that you should formatting it to draw more attention to this section. I'm not exactly sure how you would do that, but it would make the piece easier to read. The second is that if you decide to make this a digital news source, you should change "circle" to "click". And the last thing I want to say is that I love the last line.

On September 23rd, The Art Center of Frost Lark will put on a production of Annie.

Because "Annie" is the title of a player, it should be italicized.

If you still want to audition, report to The Art Center of Frost Lark Lobby tomorrow, August 29th, at precisely 9:04 A.M. wearing a baret.

"Baret" should be "beret". Barets, I've learned from my brief Yahoo image search, are construction helmets.

ADVERTISEMEN T SPACE

There's a space between the "N" and the "T".

The extracurricular event will include- a short lesson on plant cell matter, study on the reason why gravity only partially affects our town and what gravity is like in the rest of the world, and the customary twelve second hand washing routine.

The hyphen here isn't needed. If you want to have some form of punctuation there, you should use a colon.

He shouted at The Man “I challenge you to a duel on the samurai word!”

There should be a comma after "The Man" because it's what Alan Sherwick is saying to him.

"Not" should be "no", and "he" should be "the". I got a kick out of this part. If you decide to make the news source go digital, you could do something along the lines of someone leaving the computer on before the most recent update.

If you commit a major offense, expect a more severe punishment, like selling your soul to devil so that you suffer in the fiery pits of hell for eternity.

There should be a "the" before "devil" and the "d" in "devil" should be capitalized.

I really enjoyed reading this! Though it's inspired by Welcome to Night Vale, you made it into a unique and entertaining piece. Your creativity is incredible. Also, congratulations on getting this piece into the literary spotlight! You deserve it. :D

Keep up the great work - which I doubt you'll have trouble with - and good luck on your writing endeavors! Have a great day/night! :D

sheysse says...

Thanks for the review! I have a quick question... Where in it does it say an update on the man... I forgot.

Mageheart says...

You're welcome! :D It says it after the paragraph regarding Annie. It doesn't specifically say it's an update, but the reader infers that it is.

sheysse says...

Often with newspapers, they have things called cover stories which are often continued throughout the print. Rather than a present tense update, it is just a continuation. Also, you mentioned the hyphen comment. You are right, however the accepted rule is different depending on the authority. Some popular printa, like NY times, use your style, while some use the style I chose for this specific paper.

Thanks for the first review, and I just changed some of the stuff you commented on!

sheysse says...

Also, I hope I didn't sound disrespectful... I just was explaining some of my choices...

Mageheart says...

It's fine! It's your story, after all. I was only giving suggestions. :D

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:12 pm
sheysse says...

Wow. Literary spotlight. I cannot describe how happy I am. Thank you, everyone who liked it!

Mageheart says...

Mageheart says...

I'll teach you a bit of coding so your gif works in the future, my awesome Literary Spotlight writer friend. :D If you ever want a gif to be uploaded, use this code:

Code: Select all
[img]INSERT GIF LINK[/img]

i got called an enigma once so now i purposefully act obtuse
— chikara