Is it normal?

by MysteryMe

Sometimes I feel

like a thousand different souls

shredded to pieces,

mushed together,

and shoved right into

one crumbling shell

of a human being.

.

Is that normal?

.

Is it normal to sink down

into the darkness inside of me,

drowning in my sorrow,

yet still calling and dancing

so joyfully, so desperately,

as if I’m bathing in the light?

.

Is it normal to look one day

at all the beautiful things

I have created from the remains

of my broken hope and sanity

yet love them far too much

not to hate them

with all of my being?

.

Is it normal to bite my tongue

until it bleeds into my mouth

so that I’m not so tempted to speak

my empty words of torture,

and to tarnish the bitter silence

that the world has come to expect?

.

Is it normal to watch as they wander by

and admire them more than I can say

yet yearn for them to crash and burn

into the fiery pits of hell

for having everything I’ve ever wanted

yet can never even hope to claim?

.

Is it normal to despise myself

and my disgusting, monstrous ways

yet feel an unshakable affection

rooting from my very core

because I know deep down

that if I don’t love myself

nobody ever will?

.

Is it normal to scream with laughter,

curse with shy glances,

cry with bright smiles,

and no matter how much I long to exist

to never, ever let them see

the thing that they are tearing apart?

.

Is any of this normal?

.

Do I even care anymore?

PatchworkStudy wrote a review...

Excellent! a simple format and wording, but still charming. I love poems that do that. It had power and really had emotion in it, which any reader would appreciate. It also had a smooth rhythm, with no breaks, which is very, very good. Poems that continuously break the rhythm aren't that good.

The only thing that I didn't like was that the line "Is that normal?" at the beginning and the last line. Those kind of interrupt the poem and they could be deleted.
But, other than that, there aren't any mistakes that I can plainly see.

Keep up the good work, okay? ;)

Thu May 08, 2014 4:42 am
VergilthePoet wrote a review...

How is it going my people?
Alrighty, so I love the wording. It's simple, yet very effective. It was very easy to understand and I felt how deep this pool of emotions goes. I love how you wrote "yet yearn for them to crash and burn", it looks like something I would do. That in-line rhyme kind of kicks off that stanza and gives a knew rhythm for that stanza I couldn't help but notice. I find myself questioning the necessity of that last line. Your poem could work without it but I'm not sure if it's more worth it to keep it or delete it. Keep it just in case, I'm sure others have their own things to say and you'll want it there for them. You seem to have a habit of starting off lines with "and". There are worse things than that, but I see that as a little repetitive. I think that's all I have for you. Good luck in everything you write!

MysteryMe says...

Thanks for the review! I'm happy you liked it :D!

Thu May 08, 2014 3:33 am
thebrightestfell wrote a review...

Hey there.

First off, loved the poem and the way you described the feelings. They are written as both recognizable to those who know them and have experienced them but also, with your imagery, open the door for those who haven't to empathize with you.

Second, you have a really nice flow and I enjoyed it up until the fifth stanza where I felt like it was lost. You picked it up once more in the next, but for some reason that fifth verse stood out to me. Perhaps if you removed "and beyond" and just left that one part as "into the fiery pits of hell?" I'm not judging or trying to correct you (Lord knows I don't recognize some of the stuff I write) but rather than leave you with just constructive criticism I thought I would offer a possible solution as well?

Of course only you know what you intended and ultimately it must be beautiful and wonderful to you as the writer. I, however, had the pleasure of enjoying it as a reader, so I thank you for sharing. :)

The last question ended it strong to me. So, yeah, well done!

-Bright

MysteryMe says...

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you liked it!! :D

wizkid515 wrote a review...

Hey there MysteryMe!

Just a quick review from me as my reviewing skills need some brushing up. I'll just start by saying how much I enjoyed this! It was an excellent piece of writing, my favourite part was this quote:

"Is it normal to watch as they wander by

and admire them more than I can say

yet yearn for them to crash and burn"

You kept a really good rhythm flowing throughout, I'm not one for nitpicking as my grammar is awful at times although this seemed to not have any faults when I read it. I'm sure someone else on this website would be able to help you more with this if I missed something.

Anyway, fantastic work. I absolutely loved it! I can easily relate to this. I can't wait to read more of your work.

MysteryMe says...

Thanks! I'm glad you like it :D

When she transformed into a butterfly, the caterpillars spoke not of her beauty, but of her weirdness. They wanted her to change back into what she always had been. But she had wings.
— Dean Jackson