Forgotten Quest

by KaiTheGreater

Once I had a dream-

A secret, burning passion,

An inescapable need to fulfill

This imperative desire.

*

It was a secret treasure,

Too precious to be shared.

For fear of discovery,

I hid it away-

Locked it up tight,

And buried it deep,

Far from the reaches of prying eyes.

*

But perhaps it was hidden too well.

Now, even I can’t remember where it is.

It is still alive somewhere,

Always burning my mind.

*

I am never content with where I am,

Or with who I am,

Or with what I am.

I am constantly being driven

To search for something vital,

But I don’t know what it is.

*

I always feel a burning restlessness,

A feeling of inadequacy,

Of something missing-

Something lost and forgotten,

But still so urgent.

I feel incomplete.

*

Will my search ever end?

Will I ever be at peace?

I long so much to stay and rest,

But I know I will never belong

In any secure place

Until I become whole once more.

*

My heart wishes so much to find a home-

Yet, at the same time,

I am driven on

By some long-ago promise-

A promise of an unrelenting quest

To fulfill some now-forgotten dream.

The two desires clash constantly,

Tugging me in different directions,

Until I feel that I must break apart.

*

All those years ago,

I never expected that safe, sheltering place

To become the grave of my dream.

retrodisco666 wrote a review...

Retro here for review :D

First off, just wanted to say I really liked this poem, but I shall do a few nitpicks first and then talk about what I liked, 'kay? :)

' A secret, burning passion,

An inescapable need to fulfill

This imperative desire. '

If this is one sentence then I don't think you can use this. I think you need to use 'an' instead :)

'Far from the reaches of prying eyes. '

I don't know if this is so much a nitpick but can something be from the reaches of prying eyes? You might be able to and I might just be being dense.

' I am never content with where I am,

Or with who I am,

Or with what I am.

I am constantly being driven

To search for something vital,

But I don’t know what it is. '

Again, this might be me being dense but aren't you talking about what it is, you just don't know where it is? I have a feeling this final line is a bit contradictory, but hey this could just be me :)

Okay, so that is for my nitpicks. In terms of grammar and spelling I don't see any mistakes so well done on that front :) Right, now to talk about what I liked about your poem. I like how you never fully explain what it is that you've hidden, it could be a locket or a dragons egg and we don't know and I think that is a really clever technique! I like the repetition of this idea of being whole, and searching for what makes you whole, because it makes your poem more relatable on broader scale, thus to a reader it is more interesting. I also like how you've managed to make this seem like fantasy, without being explicitly fantasy-esque. I think it is due to your semantic fields like quest as it just brings something to the poem, so well done for that.

' The two desires clash constantly,

Tugging me in different directions,

Until I feel that I must break apart. '

This part of the poem was particularly good as I really think it makes the protagonist seem conflicted, and just makes them more believable as a character because whatever setting you put this in it makes it relatable for a reader.

I have a thing about endings of poems so I shall give yours a quick analyse :)

I believe that the end of a poem should be a crux which brings together a poem in a nice an conclusive sort of way, even if open ended.

'All those years ago,

To become the grave of my dream. '

In terms of my definition of what an ending should be I think this is fantastic. The grave of my dream is a very powerful image and gives us an ending to the protagonist. It also allows a progression of time, and again makes this poem relatable on another level all together. The idea of a sheltering place adds to this as well so I think your ending, is incredibly well done, so Kudos.

Hope this review was helpful and you enjoyed.
Great poem,
Keep it up.

~Retro

Thanks for reviewing! About that middle stanza, what I meant to say is that I know I'm searching for something but I've forgotten what it is. I just know it's not there. I probably should have made that clear. >.< Thanks for pointing it out!

Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:20 am
Em101cats wrote a review...

First of all, let's get one thing straight: I love the poem and way it's written!

Like some others may have said, there isn't much rhyme or rhythm. That can be okay, but it seems plain. It IS meaningful, however, and I like the way you did this.

I love the way you can understand what this poem means, but I feel you haven't hidden the meaning enough. Let readers try to go into their minds to search deeply for the meaning they want to use to describe this poem.

Otherwise, I absolutely LOVE the way this was done. Great job! Can you make more? :D

Thanks for the feedback! :) I'm glad you like it!

CelticaNoir wrote a review...

Lily, Celty here! This is my first review in a while, but I'll try to say what I think, mmkays? With that out of the way, let's get to the poem.

I like the theme: it's relatable to me, as someone who feels lost and unsure of their identity. The poem is plain and straight in its language, which can be pleasing if done right...

...however, I feel as if it's too plain. There's only one metaphor that stands out to me:

To become the grave of my dream.

However, other than that, the poem is mostly composed of very ordinary/cliched statements. There isn't a lot of imagery for me, so I'm afraid that while it's apparent that you're trying to put your feelings into these words, you need more originality when you're doing so.

You also lack a sense of rhyme or rhythm: usually, lack of one can be offset by another. However, a lot of sentences have rather awkward rhythm:

An inescapable need to fulfill

This imperative desire.

Or

A promise of an unrelenting quest

To fulfill some now-forgotten dream.

Too many syllables!

Choose different words, reword your sentences, think in terms of imagery you haven't read before. Study meter and rhyme: they both make a poem better. In short, I think you have potential, but this poem doesn't display that properly.

Celty.

Thanks for reviewing. :) I will definitely consider your suggestions!

That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo - and it's worth fighting for.
— Samwise Gamgee