Mr. Quirk(Chapter 5)

by ForeverYoung299

It was the shortest questioning Mr. Quirk had ever faced. He had been asked almost the very same questions as in the previous ones. He had a fresh image of the mind of Police officers. They thought that repeating the questions might make his answers to alter. However, bad luck, that was not to happen.

“So, do you have anything new to ask me,” Mr. Quirk begun instead of the police officer, “If yes, then you can start and if no, you don't have to struggle, I am saying you all my answers. Shall I?” He was quite tedious with it. His fear went downhill in the last two. 

“I see that you have gained courage but worry not, the questions I will ask you will surely squeeze your bravery.” said the Police officer opposite to him in a gravelly voice. 

The room was dark except for two pale lights that focused on the officer and Mr. Quirk. He was kind of nyctophobic. That increased his annoyance. He gained some courage and said, “Didn't you tell the same the last time?” This was true. Perhaps, the police department was also feeling quite helpless not being able to extract the slightest information from him.

“You– YOU SHUT UP. TELL– tell me, will– WILL YOU HELP US OR NOT? TELL CLEARLY.”

“I am trying to help but you people are not believing me. What can I do?”

“You–You will not help us! How– how dare you say that!” the police officer said; his hand tightly clutched around a pencase, the force was a bit less than required to break it.

Mr. Quirk could feel the desperate attitude of the officer. Evidently, the Government was threatening them for clues and information. He felt pity for the police but had nothing to do. 

“Well, well,” the police officer said in a brittle voice, “You– you go out! Go out and get lost! Get lost I said.”

There was a minor tumult between the other police officers regarding the matter before he was allowed to go. He had a sudden impression that he had to do something– He had to find a solution to it.

RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hey Forever!

RandomTalks here with a review!

This chapter resumes the fast pace of the story and we are once again back from the character exploration. I think you really portrayed the different emotions of the characters so subtly in this chapter - the frustration and the desperation of the police. You can see it very well in the way they conduct the interrogation. Of course, they have a lot of pressure on them, but police are not really allowed to behave like that towards a suspect. I think you portrayed this well. Also, there is the slightly arrogant boredom of Mr. Quirk. He has gone through this several time, so one more interview really does not make a difference to him. I do think that for a 100 year old man he sure is a little inconsiderate and unfeeling towards the police.

Overall, this chapter moved the plot along a little, and I think Mr. Quirk is now going to take matters into his hand and try to come up with some solution for the problem. It will be interesting to see how that goes. But still it is good to see him taking responsibility at last.

That's all for today! Have a great day!

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:07 pm

Hi ForeverYoung299,

This was an interesting and informative chapter. I see that you tried to move the plot forward here, and also with the structure of descriptions and the dialogues. They complement each other well and also give meaning in context. I like how in the chapter here you try to build up the tension in this dark room and create further sympathy for Mr. Quirk. Again, it gives the reader that sense of knowing the person better. I like how he goes in there confident and with a strong ego and I also like that the police officer knows about him and still tries to get something from him.

But I also think the chapter was short. I think this is where you would have had the best opportunity to build up more questions and give the reader new information that you are already sporadically giving out to us. By making this chapter so short, everything went by even faster than usual compared to the others. It seems to me that Mr. Quirk took longer to get into the room than the entire interview. Here you could have put in some simple things about Mr. Quirk, like what his full name is, his place of birth, his date of birth, etc... so the police officer knows it's really him.

Other than that, it was a good set up for the story. Other points that stood out to me while reading:

It was the shortest questioning Mr. Quirk had ever faced. He had been asked almost the very same questions as in the previous ones.

I like how you start here and give the reader a time bridge of what happened between the last chapter and this one, but I also think your two sentences contradict each other at the core with the shortest questioning and the almost the same questions. I would just phrase it a little differently.

"So, do you have anything new to ask me,"

Put a question mark here instead of a comma.

I am trying to help but you people are not believing me.

Instead of "are not believing" I would write: "do not believe".

Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:15 am

First Impression: A pretty neat little chapter here too...we get a little bit of a sense of how much time may have passed now with Mr. Quirk being under house arrest, and we get to see the sort of thing he has to undergo while under house arrest.

Okay...looks like the police are kind of out of options judging by that paragraph....if they've gotten to a point where they're just repeating questions and just trying to hope to get a different answer out of Mr. Quirk...at the very least it looks like Mr. Quirk is at least being treated well and the police aren't doing anything besides questioning him so far. I do hope they're not going start doing anything worse now...

Okay...yeah, it definitely appears that he has gotten a touch overconfident there almost cause he appears to juts straight up be challenging the police to ask him something else there...I have a bad feeling this might not end up going too well for him here.

Oh yeah, that's definitely sounding a little scary there, I have a feeling something bad is about to happen to Mr. Quirk there, the police might have just about gotten desperate enough to stop doing just the regular questions and default to something a bit worse here.

Yup, nope, that is most definitely not a good sign...at all. He's just about to subjected to more than just a few questions in a room quite as scary looking as that. And the fact that it appears Mr. Quirk is scared of the dark is only going to make things worse for him there...oh dear....hopefully his memory comes back or more evidence is revealed soon.

Yup...the police are being very desperate there....if they are resorting to just yelling at the person and ahh, poor Mr. Quirk, just trying to tell them everything that he knows but no wanting to believe because him losing his memory does kind of end up sounding like a bit of a lie there.

You–You will not help us! How– how dare you say that!” the police officer said; his hand tightly clutched around a pencase, the force was a bit less than required to break it.

Well, you can definitely tell the police officer is quite angry there...I do like how the officer does seem to exercising as much restraint as possible there and taking out the anger on the pencase rather than than doing anything worse.

Well, they all seem to want to do something worse, but they are all so far being reasonable human beings and not doing anything rash there...that's lovely to see. Mr. Quirk also appears to be trying very hard to solve the issue himself there, if that last line is anything to go by.

Overall: It looks like Mr. Quirk is going to do some research soon...and we get a glimpse into how the police are feeling about things. All in all, another neat little chapter here. Looking forward to seeing more. :D

Junel wrote a review...

Hey there! I shall preface this review with the fact I'm jumping into your story from the middle so while the plot definitely seems intriguing I shall focus my review on grammar etc. so as not to make any silly assumptions about things.

Obviously, I cannot skip over the fact that you're writing uses a structure and word choice different from most in this day and age. It's not really my place to criticize it as it is very much a personal choice any author can make, but I shall make a comment that with any more... adventurous choice like this you will likely face some criticism and also push some readers away because it can feel more taxing on the reader to understand because it isn't as simplistic. The best way to avoid that is to make sure it fits the story and has a reason to be there (time period perhaps). With all that in mind though, I like it because it makes your story stand out and therefore more memorable. (Not a criticism but rather a warning as someone who has tried similar things.)

On to nitpicks and suggestions (feel free to take or ignore these at your own fruition):

Mr. Quirk begun instead of the police officer

I believe the correct verb tense here would be began. While begun is also in the past tense it is the past participle which means it should follow a helping verb ex. had. Hopefully, that makes sense, silly grammar.
I am saying you all my answers.

I had to reread this phrase a couple of times to fully understand it. While context clues got me most of the way there it just held me up. I think this is another instance of your specialized way of writing, but it's also one of those instances you want to be careful of. You don't want it to hinder the flow of your work. Every time a reader gets confused, even slightly, it is going to pull them out of the story and back into the real world. We don't want them there because they are more likely to stop reading. To prevent this I would just replace this with telling.
the questions I will ask you will surely squeeze your bravery.

Another moment were flow can be improved. I would just delete the superfluous first will. This change may actually make it match your style better.
He was kind of nyctophobic. That increased his annoyance.

A couple of things here. 1. While there is some contexts clue as to what nyctophobic means it maybe wouldn't hurt to give a few more. Make it obvious enough so that even a more than averagely clueless reader doesn't need to look it up. (Unless you already explained it earlier in the book then ignore this point.) 2. I think these two short, sort of choppy sentences could be combined. For example: As a partial nyctophobic, that increased his annoyance. This also gets rid of the kind of which at least to me seems too modern.

A couple things here too. 1. the dashes. This is something I am in general constantly conflicted about, while it does a good job of portraying emotions such as frustration in dialogue it can VERY easily be overused. And it messed up flow. Now I think here you are using it correctly, but just be careful about overuse, and maybe cut back just a tad, after the first couple times the reader knows the officer is upset and doesn't need as much reminder. 2. capslock... yeah another conflicting thing. Again a personal choice, but I would also be careful not to overuse it. maybe change will you help us or not? to be lowercase. It also makes the dash before it seem more intentional, as a pause to compose oneself versus a sign of nervousness.
the force was a bit less than required to break it.

Delete was.
Mr. Quirk could feel the desperate attitude of the officer.

Final nitpick! Anyway this is more a warning than a suggestion to change and that is this shows signs of telling vs showing which I'm sure you know people will happily call others out for. I'm a strange alien in that I sometimes prefer telling to showing and adamantly believe it can have its place, but not everyone agrees so be careful out there.

Anyway with all that out of the way don't in anyway believe that I didn't really enjoy your writing. (Shh don't tell anyone, but I'm more critical of pieces I enjoy). While I don't really understand the plot I am interested in learning more so maybe if I have time you'll see more of my reviews. I also will restate I really enjoyed your style, its difference is a nice change and breathe of fresh air. So I hope you continue with confidence! Thank you for sharing your wonderful writing! I hope that you find my review helpful to improve your work.

Sláinte -Junel

Hey there! Thanks a lot for this. I see my mistakes, I like criticism, honestly. To understand the plot, you have to read the previous chapters. I guess u don't have time for that. In very short, the country has faced an attack. Random ppl are being killed but how they are is still unknown. Mr. Quirk, a 100-year-old man is suspected to have passed something to the enemies(the weapon u may say). This is the shortest geist I could write. Again thanks a lot for it.

sam2es says...

You have a good way of using dialogue, it's interesting and almost old time-ish. But I'm interested to see how it goes!

Hey! Thank you!

Is anyone else desperately waiting to see themselves in the quote gen?
— TheCursedCat