Mr. Quirk(Chapter 11)

by ForeverYoung299

Mr. Quirk was sitting on a couch reading the files. Opposite to him was Lils arranging the other files. Mr. Quirk was stressing himself with all the minute details that Lils had gathered. His brain was hurting a lot, perhaps due to the stress or maybe some other reason. He had a horrible past. 62 years ago, his whole family(his wife and son), in an accident fall off from a considerable height and was never found. Perhaps, they were dead. He wondered why there wasn't any picture of them. However, it also became clear why the neighbours had refused to tell him much about his past. They didn't really want him to recall it.

"Eat it. It might help." Lils said handing him a pill and a glass of water. Mr. Quirk was no more surprised with this telepathy. In only one day, he had understood that it was useless being surprised at that. 

He had hoped that the pill would help. However, they didn't. All the nerves of his brain were still piercing it.

"Have you recalled anything, Mr. Quirk?" Lils said.

"Yea."

"Yea?" Lils seemed to be curious which was quite obvious.

"No, nothing except that vision became a bit clearer."

"Vision?" Lils asked, his face becoming more curious.

"Yes, vision. It's a vision of 60 years back. I have interpreted it by seeing my wall pictures. It's just my younger self jumping in excitement holding something."

"What something|?"

"A bottle— a bottle containing something. I can't really see what it is."

"Something invisible?"

"Um... How is it possible?"

"Maybe you invented something unique. And yes, I guess the pain is due to this recalling phenomenon."

"How do you—"

"My brother had a memory loss. So, I know all these. Now, he lives abroad."

"By the way," Mr. Quirk said, his prickling head between his palms, "How do you think I lost my memory?"

"I don't really know. Your neighbours do not have any theory. They say that you were in your house. Suddenly, you came out and started asking who you are. Pretty weird. Maybe the enemies did something to you after stealing it and then they returned you to..."

Mr. Quirk was not listening. His brain had a different theory. He interrupted, "Can't this be an effect of what I had invented?"

Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:47 am
RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hey Forever!

RandomTalks here with a review!

I like this cat and mouse game they play with his memory. Each chapter brings us a little closer to the answers and yet at the end when you think about it you realize that you still don't know anything at all. Gathering his life stories from his neighbors are helpful for reviving his memory but I don't think it's enough. It will be like listening to someone else's stories until he actually remembers who he is. Still they seem to be positive, so I am going to share their attitude.

I did find it a little strange how Mr. Quirk reacted to his wife and son's death as if it was some bad homework that brought him headache. You had a chance to explore his emotions here, and not just his thoughts, but I feel like the chance went unused. You could have delved into his surprise, his sudden sense of loss, his grief and mourning. These are people who had been important to him and now he doesn't even remember their death.

I also feel like the vision he is always talking about, the one of him holding a bottle in his hand is a very important one that is going to have much significance towards the story. It keeps coming up and it has to mean something.

Well, let's see where this is going!

Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:59 am

Hi ForeverYoung299,

This was a short and tasty chapter. With each new chapter you get closer to the thing that Mr. Quirk invented as well as a little bit of his past and at the same time you get lost again because it's like an escalator that you use in the opposite direction.

You used a stylistic device in this chapter, which you already showed in the last one; the rapid change of dialogue between Mr. Quirk and Lils. I like this exchange because it already shows that these are two very intellectual people talking.

I also liked that a new piece of information was revealed; Mr. Quirk had a family that is dead or gone. I like the approach of not knowing so directly what their status is, and also find that a good way to raise the tension. Is it all to do with his invention?

But I also thought that the transition between the last chapter and this one was a bit too fast and that there was something of a gap. Especially now that the plot is moving faster, I think you have to try to include things that are not relevant to the story, so as not to reveal something from one minute to the next that was actually technically revealed a few days later in the plot.

Other points that stood out to me:

Mr. Quirk was sitting on a couch reading the files. Opposite to him was Lils arranging the other files. Mr. Quirk was stressing himself with all the minute details that Lils had gathered.

I would try to rewrite the beginning a little bit here, because you repeat names within a few sentences and the structure seems similar.

He had a horrible past. 62 years ago, his whole family(his wife and son), in an accident fall off from a considerable height and was never found.

I think something is missing here; for example, "went missing" before the "in an accident". Since you imply that they might not be dead, there would be a touch of mystery that way too.

It was a good chapter with a clear focus on revelations that will probably still be important for the sequel.

Hey! Thanks for the review!

Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:55 am

Hi! I'm here to leave another review!!

First Impression: Well...this opened up some new questions here even as it partially answered the biggest mystery in this story...its a really interesting chapter you've got here...although I would say that the one issue I have with this is while its a great idea to include his past there...the description of his horrible past went on for perhaps a tiny bit too long...I feel like you should make that a bit shorter there to give the effect of his memory being a little faint...but even as is, its not too bad, its just a tiny bit awkward.

Okay..well, that's a fun bit of backstory to introduce to us, cause wow, well I was wondering what could've happened to Mr. Quirk's family and why he's along in his mansion there....I'd just assumes perhaps he never married and his parents ended up dying of old age, but well, now that we've gotten the truth revealed to us here...well, it looks like he's got a much sadder story behind him there...and its definitely an interesting choice to be including it here.

Well, that's interesting, I was assuming it was just Lils being quite intuitive towards helping Mr. Quirk and just being someone that's good at taking care of people but now I am wondering if this person is in fact telepathic in some way here.

"Yea."

OKay...well looks like Mr. Quirk is going to continue to have that headache but it looks like he's starting to recall some things now which is definitely a big step forward in this plot cause everything is currently relying on him being able to remember the detail of this invention causing all this confusion chaos.

OKay...I'm assuming he's referring to the vision he had in the house earlier that set everything in motion here...well, this gets more mysterious by the minute, I also love how its still a gradual process of recollection, that's a lot more realistic than him remembering everything all at once.

"What something|?"

Oooh...well, that bottle is currently the most we've heard of this mysterious killer device here...and ahh...the anticipation being built up as it is slowly revealed is definitely at a very high level at the moment.

"Something invisible?"

"Um... How is it possible?"

Well...being invisible would certainly explain him being unable to see it...but...it could also just be an empty bottle that he's going to pour whatever this mysterious thing is into...lots of theories about this vision at the moment.

"How do you—"

Well, that will certainly come in handy when it comes to recalling these memories...if Lils already has experience with people that have suffered from memory loss. Lils really does seem like the perfect person for this job here.

Oooh...wow both of those are very intriguing theories, personally I am going to lean towards the second one, because I feel like the enemies would simply have killed him judging by their actions earlier rather than going to the elaborate plan of making him lose him memory and leaving a loose end.

Overall: Overall, another pretty solid chapter here, this one definitely left off on some really interesting questions...and I can't wait to see the answers to all of these things...its safe to say I am verrry invested in this story now. :D

Hey! Thanks for the review!

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome!!

Congratulations!
— Magestorrrow