Mr. Quirk(Chapter 15)

by ForeverYoung299

Mr.Quirk found him in the very same state as he had been three months ago. 50 people, including the President, were looking down at him. He was in the very same room; the same smell of the medicines and a few other beds beside him. He felt his l; left arm hurting like hell. He tried to wake up on the support of his right hand but failed. 

"You are not well. Don't get up. Just say us the formula. We need it as soon as possible." The President said. 

"I don't know it. I tried many formulas but I don't know which one actually did the miracle." He replied. 

"Alright. We have many bodies. We can use them. Do you remember the formulas you used?"

"Yea, yea, I do. Note down." He told all the formulas he could recall, "Try these on different bodies and combinations can also be tried."

"Try these as he told and I want this room to be empty within five minutes." The President ordered. 

"What actually happened with me?" Mr. Quirk asked. 

"He targeted your forehead but thanks to Mr. Yoeak. He reached the place at the perfect time. Because of him only, the bullet hit your hand instead of your forehead."

Mr. Quirk had almost forgotten about Mr. Yoeak. "What, I mean how did he know about all these things?"

"He had contact with Lokils." The President heaved a deep sigh, "Lokils was constantly refusing him from contacting you. That is why he suspected him and went there with some Police officers whom he managed to convey."

"Where are they now?"

"Mr. Yoeak is interrogating Lokils and you–I mean his brother."

"Why did they want to kill me?"

The President looked grave. "Lokils saved you only for his brother. His brother was the actual culprit of all these."

"All these?"

"Yes, he was the one to pass it to the enemies."

"What!" Mr. Quirk nearly jumped up but sank back due to the pain.

"Don't move much. Your hand is still not in a great situation and there's something more in stock for you."

"What–what is it!?"

"Lokils' brother is actually—"

"Who?"

"Haven't you ever wondered why he looks like you?"

"What do you mean?" Mr. Quirk's heart pounding, the gravity pulling him with all its strength. What more he had to discover?

"He... he is actually your son."

"WHAT! NO! It's not possible."

"Yes, it is. He too had a memory loss. Remember? That happened due to the accident. Lokils' father found him laying unconscious with his mother... They adopted him. They were good people, you know..."

"No, no, my son can't be a helper of the—"

"I know it's hard but it's the truth. After recalling his memory, he wanted to visit you and he did. He observed you for many days through the windows of your house. He got aware of your discovery. He didn't tell anyone... But, one day, after many years, there was an offer in the newspaper regarding some good invention. He gave it to them, our enemies."

"No, it's not—"

"Yes, it is. But note, he did not know about the deadly gas nor did the enemies. The enemies only wanted to spread their fame but then they got aware of the harmful gas after one of their scientists died and...and used it on us."

"But—"

"Let me speak. This is quite a long one. It will take time. The enemy used him as a spy because they needed the antidote. You know, to earn money they needed it. They were of the opinion that you can have it. They threatened him to gain your trust and steal it from you.  And yes, the kidnap was a kind of drama for you to have trust in Lokils. Poor man, his love for his brother made him a criminal. Now, you can speak, and here comes Mr. Yoeak. "

"Mr. Quirk, how are you? I kept my word. I helped you." Mr. Yoeak said smiling. 

"Yoeak, I don't have words to express my—"

"Sir, the antidote's found!" A man said from outside the door.

"I on behalf of the whole Government beg forgiveness. We are really sorry for all your sufferings." The President said. 

"It's okay and I want to see Lils' broth―I mean my son."

"You will accept him as your―"

"Yes, I will. He didn't do it intentionally nor did I."

END

RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hey Forever!

RandomTalks back with another review!

Wow...I know I said this in the last review, but I did not expect that to happen. This hast to be the most surprising chapter I have ever read. I do not know why I never drew the connection between the similarities in their appearances. But I think having no idea made this chapter even more satisfying to read. I honestly do not know how Mr. Quirk's heart can take all this excitement. I personally would have had a cardiac arrest by now.

So Lil's brother is Mr. Quirk's son. And all Lil did was to protect his brother. I still do not know how that makes me feel. I had genuinely had considered him a good person, but a man must have some sense of right or wrong. Even his son should have been smarter than to get involved in this. It is not like he got under bad influence, after all, even after the accident he was raised by family of scientists.

At least, Mr. Yoeak got to save the day! I had genuinely underestimated him at the beginning of he story. I guess he had been a part of it all along, creeping along in the shadows. I am glad he got to shine in the end, the man deserves it.

One suggestion I have though is to make the ending more believable. It felt a little rushed to me. One minute Mr. Quirk is discovering that Lil's brother is his son, and then someone from the next room is screaming that they have discovered the antidote. As a result before we get to process one thing, something else already takes the front wheel. Also, I found it a bit strange, how quickly Mr. Quirk forgave him and accepted everything. Giving him some time to reflect on all that happened would make the ending a bit more believable and smoother.

Overall this was quite the journey. Your earlier chapters were a bit problematic, but the change is quite significant in the later chapters. Though there are still some grammar mistakes, your writing takes on a different structure and the readers can see you expanding your technique and slowly trying to add more weight to the story. I think that if you ever expand this in the future and include more details and descriptions and edit the grammar errors, this will turn into a very good novella. Already with the ending you chose, I can see a continuation taking place where Mr. Quirk tries to get to know his son and help him in his journey of self forgiveness. I am not sure if you ever plan to continue this, but there certainly are chances.

Still, I think it is sufficient to say that your writing has improved much from then and now. All your stories have a fast pace but now I have seen you branching out and exploring the thoughts in detail in your latest novel.

I wish you best of luck for all the amazing ideas you come up with in the future. This was fun to read!

Keep up the good work and have a great day!

Hey thanks for the review :D
I wonder from where that plot twist came into existence. That was sudden XD

Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:37 pm
TheRebel2007 wrote a review...

Have a good day, ForeverYoung299!

The review:

Well, I don't know where to begin, I barely managed to keep myself from commenting on the rest of the chapters as excitement kept building up on me. I love the cliffhangers in the end of each chapter but I was afraid that with the mess made in every chapter that extended the story. But, fortunately, you have clearly managed to end up all the loose ends of the story. There were a lot of surprises in this chapter, although I did guess one of them.

I like how Mr. Yoeak turned up to be the real hero of the story in this chapter, as he was the one who kept tab on Mr Quirk even while he knew that he could be in danger, and the fact that he kept his morale up even after getting sacked of his job - although he wasn't featured too much in the story. But I did guess that Mr Lils will turn up to be a villain, but this ended up with him being sort of an antihero. I initially thought that the president was corrupted or he just interviewed random people who he had a suspicion on, but it turns out that he was almost correct in having a suspicion on Mr Quirk. I didn't at all expect Lils' brother/Mr Quirk's son to really be Mr Quirk's son, although there was a hint before. Moreover, I was surprised how he became the villain in the end. But it was really kind of Mr Quirk to accept Lils' brother as his son. And it all ended in a happy ending.

All in all, this novella was extremely entertaining. Although there were several places in the whole novella where grammar could have been better, but those are ignorable mistakes. It was really enjoyable and keep it up! :p

Hey! Thanks a lot for this review and my grammar is awful. Someday, my grammar will improve amd the day will come when I am in this World and not in my fantasy World... So, the day is not coming very soon.

Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:06 am

First Impression: Well, this was one of the most satisfying chapters I've read. I do love the scenes towards the end of a story when every little thing starts to make sense and the problems are slowly being solved.

Well..that's a nice little reminder of how long things have been here...just to put in perspective how long this entire mess has gone...and well..it looks like things have all worked out here for Mr. Quirk.

Well, considering how many formulas he was making at the end there out of desperation its not surprising he can't actually pinpoint which one is the correct one here...and I suppose all of this means that somehow he was saved from that situation earlier. Well, it looks like he's going to hopefully be able to solve the issues now.

Well, the president gets everyone to work quite quickly, that's pretty neat although I do wonder how much the president knows here if he's treating Mr. Quirk this well after Mr. Quirk being the most wanted man in the country in the last chapter.

First of all, I love how Mr. Quirk asks that question cause that does seem like a pretty good reaction to learning he was saved by someone like that with no warning whatsoever...and then also it looks like Mr. Yoeak did in fact become more important to the story later...I was wondering if perhaps he would make a comeback cause he was one of the few people that got a name in the story.

"Where are they now?"

Well, the president making that mistake is quite funny, looks like his officers did brief him about that neat little disguise there... and well, looks like Mr. Yoeak is a pretty good police officer too if he was able to realize something was off based on a little clue like that.

"Why did they want to kill me?"

"All these?"

Well, ahhh...I was hoping that wasn't going to be the case and Lokils would turn out to be someone that actually wanted to help...but well, this makes for a nice little twist too, also explains a lot about why Mr. Quirk was helped out of nowhere with no warning whatsoever..it does make more sense that there'd be a motive like that behind Lokils wanting to help Mr. Quirk.

Well, this is not going to go terribly well I see, if something could be even worse than all the revelations that have happened recently...well, ahh, let's hope there's nothing extra crazy going to happen here. The worst possible thing I could imagine is if Lils is somehow related to Mr. Quirk...because there was that strange resemblance thing...well..that's a theory so far..xD.

"What–what is it!?"

"Lokils' brother is actually—"

"Who?"

Oooh...I have a feeling my theory might actually be right...oh wow, well this is going to be a fun reveal, well not fun for poor Mr. Quirk but for me to hear...xD.

"He... he is actually your son."

"WHAT! NO! It's not possible."

Oh noo...well, this is properly crazy...oh dear...ahhhh...not to mention my prediction was ahh...just slightly wrong...its Lils' brother who was the related to Lils...ahhh..well, its still close..xD..and well, this has gotta be devastating news for Mr. Quirk here.

Well, that's about the reaction that you expect Mr. Quirk to have...it definitely can't be easy for someone who cares about his country enough to be willing to die to learn that his son was working with the enemies all along.

Oh wow...well, that, is definitely not sounding at all in favor of Mr. Quirk's son there, as it turns out he is in fact quite an evil person there...also...the president and the police have definitely been very busy if they managed to learn all of that information so quickly. I guess they interrogated the son.

"No, it's not—"

Well, harmful gas is definitely one of the deadliest things you can get, and if its as hard to spot as this gas, well, you can't really make too many weapons that are much deadlier...soo..well as far as picking which method of killing this secret invention has goes..you chose a pretty good one here.

"But—"

"Let me speak. This is quite a long one. It will take time. The enemy used him as a spy because they needed the antidote. You know, to earn money they needed it. They were of the opinion that you can have it. They threatened him to gain your trust and steal it from you. And yes, the kidnap was a kind of drama for you to have trust in Lokils. Poor man, his love for his brother made him a criminal. Now, you can speak, and here comes Mr. Yoeak. "

Oooh...well that explains how Lils while just being a scientist managed to fight all of those bad guys and rescue Mr. Quirk...it made sense that he could hack something but something like that was pretty unlikely for a regular scientist to be able to do...ahh...I love how all these little loose ends are falling into place here. This scene has been really satisfying so far.

Well, thanking Mr. Yoeak definitely seems like the best way there although looks like something crazy is happening once again for their conversation to be interrupted quite like that.

Woohoo!!! The day is saved!! Well, this has been quite awesome here...and to see that the president does realize the mistake that he made and apologizes despite the fact that technically the president isn't to blame because the evidence was against Mr. Quirk shows that he's a pretty good character too.

"You will accept him as your―"

I get the feeling this statement might end up landing Mr. Quirk in just a little bit of trouble there...well...despite how this chapter felt like it was really solving most of the problems and questions we had, it looks like this could potentially lead to some more things happening here...well...looking forward to seeing what'll happen next here...

Overall: Overall, potentially my favorite chapter so far, so many fun reveals and we finally get to learn how this whole situation went down...ahh...I am not at all disappointed after coming this far. :D Can't wait to see how Mr. Quirk's meeting with his son is going to go in the next one here. :D

Hey! Thanks for the review! And Idk if it will be alright to end it here but I was thinking to do so...

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome!!!

Ooooh...actually...this did kind of sound like an ending to me...but I assumed it wasn't because you hadn't mentioned that it was the last chapter...xD

As far as endings go this wouldn't be bad at all, like I said it was a pretty satisfying chapter with all those lose ends being tied up neatly...I'd be satisfied if this was the end to the story....it seems to fit well enough....but it is up to you if you wanna end here or perhaps write a scene with Mr. Quirk meeting his son. :D

Alright. Lemme end it here only and I specified that this is the end. Again, thanks a lot for all the valuable reviews you left on my work.

KateHardy says...

Okii...you're welcome again!! It was a pretty fun story to read...and woo...congrats on finishing off a full story!!!

Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:40 am

Hi ForeverYoung299,

Well, that was a chapter with many surprises. In any case, it left an impression on the reader and I think you did a good job of building it up to this point to reveal such little connections only now. That was a great way to do it.

Now to the general point. You asked if you've improved in your writing. There are definitely points where you have improved a lot, but that still sometimes disappears between chapters. Especially when it comes to smaller descriptions, you are now able to insert a structure, but sometimes it gets lost again. Especially in chapters where there is more dialogue or the plot takes a big step forward. I see you have built the foundation of the house and are now trying to add furniture. But there are still some floors missing to keep the house standing. Nevertheless, I like the fact that you have already improved on many points.

I would recommend that you take this story as a starting point and when you write the next one, first write down your structure - as you did in this case - and then close your eyes and think about what it looks like where the characters are. You would then have to insert that. When you're a little better at that, you can put it in together. It is important in a story that it is not only exciting, but also tangible for the reader. At the moment your story is still like a play, except that the lighting is mostly too dim to see more than Mr. Quirk on stage.

I'm excited to see what else you'll conjure up. :D

He felt his l; left arm hurting like hell.

Here is a bit of a mistake in this sentence with the l;.

He targeted your forehead but thanks to Mr. Yoeak.

The sentence stops right before there is some revelations. I think there is something missing afterwards or I would combine the sentence with the following.

"What!"

Here is a question mark needed. Later on, when Mr. Quirk says the same thing after hearing that Lils's brother is his son.

"He... he is actually your son."

That is quite a revelation! I'm flabbergasted.

Hey! I was thinking of ending it here only... Do you think it will be alright?

That is something that you have to decide. If you want to stop here, you should add that in the chapter, that it is the ending.

Perfect kindness acts without thinking of kindness.
— Lao Tse