The Dying Sun[NOVEL] Chap 10

by AllisonArgent

I woke up feeling a bit different but something was missing like I was supposed  to know what was missing but it's...it's like I have amnesia.

Yes, I wanted to see her but....but...I wanted to know what was missing more. I had work that day.'i'll see her in the evening.' I told myself but little did I know that 'it'...no 'she', She was the one that was missing.

"here's your order sir" I saw the crowd thinning down, I decided to take a five. I went to get my phone'shit' It was dead and there was no way to charge it. I really wanted to at least text her. I thought of our last conversation, about the girl...no about 'death' why would she talk about death? The hole in my heart was getting larger every minute, I've never left for work without seeing her, at least we texted, but now..

It was a very tiring day and my body felt numb but my mind kept alert on thinking about her. Busy New yorkers, on their way to home after work, I was among them but somehow I felt different.

I pressed the elevator and it was not working. With every step I took  I felt the hole that was in my heart widening, 'strange' I thought. I felt my heart slipping away, something...something I've never felt before. It scared me. I reached my floor, I was getting closer but somehow I felt like I was being pulled farther away. I swallowed and felt a lump in my throat.

I reached her door and was about to knock when I noticed it was locked. 'She should be home by now, she..she was always home earlier than me. Something...something's wrong.' My mind felt blank I don't how I got there but the next thing I remember was that I was banging on Lockwood's door. He opened, there was a kind of sadness in his eyes that I never saw before but it vanished."S..Sa.." I chocked on words.

"David...here...she asked me to give this to you. " I pushed a piece of paper in front of him.'so this is one her tricks? It better be one' " She said she tried your phone but it was off. I suggested that I should pull you from work but she was the one who told me it would just make things harder."

"Harder? What do you mean? what are you talking about?"

"She didn't tell you? she left."

"Left" Every inch of my body felt weak like I was about to collapse."Like..for how long?"

"She's not coming back David, I know you liked her. I'm sorry." He placed his hand on my shoulder.

'No you're wrong. I don't like her, I loved her'

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello and happy review day! :D I know I reviewed this story a long time ago and I'm a little fuzzy on the plot, but I love me a love story so I'll look at this as a part of a greater whole.

My first thought after reading this chapter is that I want it to be longer. You're trying to capture a really strong emotion here and I love the bittersweet longing/sadness stuff but I want more of it. Right now I don't feel like I'm in this characters head feeling lovesick with him. Overall, I think you could add more description especially of this thoughts and feelings. Think about how his body feels, thinking about how this feeling changes how he goes about his day (is he easily distracted, hard to concentrate, walking slowly, tired, etc.) You start to go there, but I want more.

I also want a little more oomph in the chapter. Not a whole lot happens other than him waking up, going home, and finding out she's not there. Don't get me wrong, that's a big moment but I don't feel the sadness and heartache I'm expecting to feel. I think there needs to be more lead-up, more seeing him go through is day, more anxiety, maybe showing him trying to reach her and getting nothing, more reminders of why he loves her and what he fears will happen if he doesn't have her, and then bam she's gone.

I'd be interested to see how he's going to handle this blow! This is obviously a big moment and a big turning point in the story. I think what you have so far is on the right track and it's a good start because it's an honest portrayal of how someone might feel in this situation, but I just want more of it :)

I'll leave things there for now, but let me know if you have any questions or if there's something you'd like feedback about that I didn't mention! :D

nest chap will be better I promise.

BluesClues wrote a review...

Mmkay, general impressions today because I feel like my prior reviews did not do enough. Although, in fairness to myself, that might be because I didn't come in until like chapter 8, whereas now I just went back and read the whole darn thing.

I like that you tie Danish's biological parents and Indian heritage into the story - particularly that the title and the main plot, "the dying sun," relates to a legend his mother once told him. I'm curious, though. Why did his parents put him in the foster care system? Were they poor and felt like they couldn't give him a good enough life? Was something wrong with him that made it too difficult to care for him? Were they going to live in India but wanted him to stay in New York for some reason? The foster care thing is brought up so often that readers are bound to wonder, especially since Danish's parents clearly loved and wanted him and weren't abusive or troubled (at least from what we've seen).

The biggest issues you have right now pertain to Danish's character. This chapter, and chapters 8 & 9 even more, were better - there was more dialogue, more interaction between Danish and Sam, and we learned more about Sam.

But you know something? We really know nothing about Danish.

Like, okay. We know he was a foster child, but not why. We know Sam's the first girl he's ever been really crazy about, but we don't really know why he loves her so much, especially since there was kind of this "love at first sight thing" right when they met - which is fine to start with, but over time I'd like to see more build-up of the relationship, endearing quirks she has and things like that. You did get into that later on, like the fact that she's in engineering but loves to paint. Actually, at this point in the story, we almost know more about Sam that we do about our protagonist! His hobbies are, what, drinking? Only we haven't ever seen him go out drinking, we just know he was hungover back when he met Sam.

It helps readers connect more to the characters when we know things about them - their likes, their dislikes, places they feel safe, the kind of people they make friends with, the things they notice, and so forth. We have a little bit of this for Danish, but most of it pertains to his absent parents rather than anything he likes or knows or is at the time of Our Story.

If you're really not sure yourself - if you've been so focused on the love story that you don't know much about Danish that isn't related to the main plot - I suggest character worksheets. They're kind of fun, and they help you think about aspects of your character that you might not have considered. You don't have to put all this information *in* the story, but just knowing will help you write your character more deeply. Just go to Google and search "character worksheets for writers." There are a thousand options, and you can look either in images or at whatever blog links come up. Plus there are simpler worksheets meant for teachers with elementary schoolers, which can be a good way to dip your feet in character building if a 100-question worksheet scares you.

Write on!
Blue

Actually they're not poor but the guy's dad said that he couldn't marry the girl he loved so hey were alone and without money so they thought they'll put their son in foster care until they can manage a family.Actually the story about Dani is just coming up. By the way thanx 4 the 'chara worksheet' thing I didn't really think 'bout it.

The secret of being tiresome is to tell everything.
— Voltaire