The Dying Sun [NOVEL] Chapter 2

by AllisonArgent

I felt awful even if I had gotten used to the hangovers. I got up feeling nauseated. My body felt stiff and it ached. Last night was a blur, always is when I get drunk. A girl's face kept coming up into my mind. A girl with light brown eyes and a smile that could light up whole New York.'I wonder who she is.'She was not American she was too tan to be one, maybe Indian. Images flowed into my mind of that country, of it's people. I have been there when I was young and what happened there was certainly not pretty.

Making myself a cup of coffee, I kept thinking about that girl. Setting the mug down I went to get my newspaper. News is not my kind of thing but Lockwood loses his temper when he sees a mountain of unused newspapers. Opening my door I bend down to get the paper. It was her, with a newspaper in one hand and a coffee mug in another. She lift her mug to her mouth to take a sip. Her eyes lift up to look at me. She didn't smile. Same light brown eyes. She dropped her paper and closed the door behind her. I stood there dumbstruck.'What did I do?' So she was my new neighbour. 'That's how I know her.' Maybe I met her last night. 'Did I say something to her last night?' Well I made quite a first impression I guess. Maybe she was not comfortable seeing a shirtless guy in the morning.Maybe Lockwood said something to her about me. 

An off day at work is never really a happy moment for me. I tried reading books, exercise was always something that kept my mind off things but nothing seemed to erase her.Maybe I should go talk to her, apologize.I got up, got a clean shirt from the laundry and went out. i I knocked on her door. I'm not a patient person but I knocked just once and waited. About three minutes later I understood that her apartment was locked and she might have gone out.

I collapsed on my couch. I might have fallen asleep because a faint knock woke me up. I got up to open there door. I took a quick look at the clock, it was 4:32 pm. I missed lunch and it was not a big deal, I missed lunch often. What was strange was that it was not everyday I of all the people in New York got visitors. I stood there, hesitant to open the door. 'Did I owe anyone money?'. Without thinking too much I opened to door a punch or an angry shout but it was not a punch or someone yelling, It was silence but it hurt more.She was at my door, right in front of me where I could reach her with a box of cupcakes, a few slots missing. She didn't smile and my heart was yearning to push back the feeling to tug her fallen hair behind her ear.

"Thought I should show my respects as a new neighbour."She said."Here" she showed me the box.I stood paralysed for a bit.

"I'm sorry"I wanted to say it loud but all that came out was a whisper but she heard me.

She turned to leave."It's okay if you don't want the cupcakes"she said under her breath.

"No what I meant was not that I want your cupcakes. Okay that came out wrong, sorry, about last night, If I said something to hurt you."I finished.

She stared at my face for along time and then the corner of her mouth pulled up into a wide grin lighting up her eyes.The smile I was waiting for."You did nothing" she said.

"Oh......then why are you angry at me?" I was confused.

"The problem was that you did nothing. You didn't even say a word but just walked into your apartment"She said still smiling at me.

"Oh, I'm sorry."I said, I couldn't come up with anything else. 

"Okay do you want a cupcake or not?"

"Okay" I picked one from the the box."That guy at right end has diabetes so I'm taking his cupcake too."

All she did was smile and that was enough, just enough. But, was I? Was I good for her? Will I ever be? Do I deserve her?

Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:17 am
DivergentDemigod wrote a review...

Yo phangirl here yet again to give my views over your work.

But first
I must
Say that "dude
was this good?"
Definitely not!
It is so much,
more than that!

Um sorry for that crappy piece of whatever I quoted there :-p
But hey this was gooooood! except for a couple of nitpicks which I'm rudely gonna point out to u *evil laugh* ((((there ain't many so chill))) also I'm gonna give u some tips which u may help making ur piece even more attractive. Now let's proceed shall we?

I felt awful even if I have gotten used to the hangovers.

Yeah so here in this line first I think that instead of have it should be had. {emphasis on think, not sure if it is right or not but have there sounds awkward so...}

"Last night was a blur, always is when I get drunk. A girl's face kept coming up into my mind. A girl with light brown eyes and a smile that could light up this whole New York.'I wonder who she is.She was not American she was too tan to be one , maybe Indian? Images flowed into my mind of that country, of it's people. I have been there when I was young and what happened there was certainly not pretty."

For the the line I Marked red, when u started the (') u need to end it too and u need to put space between Fullerton and she. Um also I gave some suggestions of words to make ur work more attractive (the ones in purple)

"I got up, got a clean shirt from the laundry and went out and knocked on her door."

and went out and knocked on her door read this out aloud. Awkward isn't it? I would suggest you break this into two lines like;

"I got up got a clean shirt from the laundry and went out. I knocked on her door." better?

" About three minutes later I understood that her apartment was locked and she might have gone out."
Understood? Not the right word. Replace it with "realized"

"A faint knock woke me up. I might have fallen asleep."
Can u plz rephrase it? Like put the second line first? That way it will sound better.

"I might have fallen asleep, because a faint knock woke me up"

i got up to open there door. I took a quick look at the clock, it was 4:32 pm. I missed lunch and felt my stomach burning.I opened the door. She was at my door with a box of cupcakes, a few slots missing. She didn't smile as usual.

Seems a bit plain, here it feels like you were in a rush to complete the chapter.

So of you just put some more attractive words and maybe describe everything a bit more, it would sound amazing.

Here I'll give u an example,...
Returning back home I just collapsed on my couch. I might have fallen asleep, because a faint knock woke me up, it was not everyday people came to my house so it was a bit weird. I got up to open there door. A quick glance at the clock told me it's 4:32 pm, that means I missed lunch 'wonderful' I thought 'a visitor with an empty stomach, just my kind of thing'.I could feel my stomach burning with bile as I opened the door. She was at my door with a box of cupcakes, a few slots missing 'wooh now that was something I was not expecting!' . She looked up at me but didn't smile as usual.

Plz do not use more than 3 ellipses(...) it dosent look nice. And plz put space after every fullstop.

Oh well that's it for now I guess. I hope this helped :)

Update me when the next chains out! I'll be waiting!

~ phangirl

hey there phangirl sorry I kept you waiting and I've edited most of my work.

Please tell me if that para's still plain.

Leekeer wrote a review...

Hi, Im here to do a review im just coming back from a hiatus so feel free to criticize my review. Ok lets get down to business.

"A girl with lite brown eyes"
You may want to say light instead of "lite" to not confuse your audience.

"Images flowed into my mind of that country, of it's people .I've"
a grammar mistake here
The . next to "I've" should have been connected to "e" at the end of people.

"when I was young and it was not pretty, what happened there."
You did not have to place a comma after "it was not pretty" but continue and end the paragraph.

"Lockwood looses his temper when he sees a mountain of unused newspapers"
There is a simple spelling error that can be fixed and its "Looses" when it should have been "Loses"

So there is more and more errors down throughout this chapter, but story wise this has a gripping feel to it and i want to get to know this mystery neighbour who is she? where did she come from? why do you keep thinking about her? so im hoping all these answers can be answered next chapter.

Update me on the next chapter please :)

Hi there. The next chapter will probably be uploaded by next tuesday. Have you read the prologue and the first chapter? If you have not read the prologue please read it. You'll get an idea of what the girl might be.

If it wasn't for poetry, I couldn't express myself.
— Rosendorn