z

Young Writers Society


18+ Mature Content

Today I Took a Walk on the Clouds

by Gravity


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for mature content.

Everything I do is controlled. I have to walk myself through how to do even the most mundane things now. Rinse out my hair, scrub my body. Dry myself off. Put toothpaste on a toothbrush and brush my teeth. Everything is so robotic. There's no flow to my movements or even to my joints anymore. 

Now I'm wrapped in a towel and the cool air gives me goosebumps as I dash across the hall and into my bedroom. Seeing the shades open, I jerk them closed. My room is in the front of the house and at night with the lights on, anybody could see me. The way he saw me. 

Rummaging through my clothes is nearly impossible with only one hand. I reluctantly drop the towel and then place my arms over my breasts. I feel so exposed. I grab the first clothing items that resemble sleepwear and hurriedly put them on. Sweatpants and a t shirt. Not bad. Then an idea hits me.

Turning out the lights, I open the shades. I know nobody can see me within the confines of my house. Then I slowly turn around. On my walls is the most beautiful display of shadows I've ever seen in my entire life. The streetlight almost directly outside my window filters through the shades and I see a spectacular light show. A car passes by, and the shadows dance. I used to do this all the time to help me sleep. I would marvel at how I could raise my hands up and cast shadow puppets on the wall, creating stories in my head and acting them out in my room. Then I remember.

We ran up the stairs of my empty house, his weight caused the steps to squeak. I watched him watch me. He wasn't looking at me, exactly, but my room. It was neat but with a few messy areas here and there like my bookshelf. Places where I'd allowed the most important things in my life to become tangled and complicated. 

"I have to show you something," I said. Then I pushed him gently backward on the bed and turned out the lights. Opening the blinds, I held out my arms.

"Ta-da!" I said. He laughed a little.

"What is it I'm looking at, exactly?" I gestured to the walls.

"The shadows, of course. Aren't they beautiful?" I flopped on the bed next to him and we just watched them dance across the walls. And then it was time to go, and I was locking the door. Back to his house so I could hang out with his sister. His sister who was my friend. The thing was, I didn't like her. I was only staying with her because my parents were out of town. When hanging out with her, the only thing that was on my mind was her older brother.

I resurface. Back to the real world. It feels like this happened a million years ago when in reality, it's only been a few days. A tap on the window distracts me. I ignore it at first, it could just be a tree branch or something. I pause.

There aren't any trees outside of my window.

I look over through the blinds, and I see a face. Stifling a scream, I grab the first thing within my line of vision, a heavy book. Then I examine the face closer. It's Alec. My heart stops. He's here, he's really here. 

And then, when I push the window up, he's not. 

Then I can feel the pain in my chest blossoming. It feels like someone is stabbing me over and over. My lungs get tight and I slam the window shut. The covers welcome me when I jump back into bed and the tears roll down my cheeks. I feel like a leaky faucet, tired and broken with steady tears streaming out of my eyes. Drip, drip, drip. Down my face and onto the covers. Gradually soaking my pillow. Then sleep drags me under.

I think about him every second of the day. Not a minute goes by when something does't remind me of him and the way we touched. I thought I could handle it. He made it clear that for him, this was purely physical. It wasn't like that for me. I can't escape the memory of him in the waking hours. My only chance to get away from him was in my sleep. But even now, as the memories wash over me in my dreams, I know now there's no escaping him or the hold he has over me.

And when I wake up, when my conscious mind realizes that, everything comes back to me. I remember what happened. Alec touching me, my Dad finding out. How I can never see him again and how he probably doesn't even care about what happened between us. The way I begged for him to go all the way with me, but he respected me enough to not let that happen. All of this drowns me. It sucks the oxygen out of my lungs and I can't move. I can't breathe. 

All I can do is cry and try to push back the feeling in my bones. Even in the sea of pillows and blankets, I don't feel safe or warm. The chills push themselves into my joints before turning white hot and then cold again.

In books I always read about heroes and heroines who fought a long battle and then were knocked unconscious. Then, when they came to, the author described their thoughts using the words "the memories came flooding back". I've read descriptions like that in so many books but never really noticed until now. I never really stopped to think about what that feels like- until now. 

This is just the price I pay. I saw him for a second, a split second. I saw his face and the lopsided grin he wore. I saw his beautiful crooked teeth and his ever changing eyes, now a brilliant blue. And for a moment, I was in the clouds. For the first time in days, I actually smiled. But the thing about being on top of the world is that once you get there, the only place to go is down.

So I fell.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 694
Reviews: 2

Donate
Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:59 pm
owlcityobsession wrote a review...



I've been exactly where you have it seems like, and the fact that you mentioned that just seeing his face broke you down all over again and how he never really leaves you is exactly where I've been. Just hearing a song, a name, knowing it's his birthday or remembering how you were not what he wanted just kills you. You wrote these feelings beautifully and I love your ending, how you say "the thing about being on top of the world is that once you get there, the only place to go is down." It was tragic and I could relate to it. The only critique I have is that I wish you would have focused more on describing how the shadows made you think of him and less on how seeing his face made you fall. For example, if you had tied the shadows in and talked about all the ways they made you remember him, and how beautiful they are but how sad they make you versus describing having seen his face, i feel like the story would have been more smooth. I was sort of jolted when you mentioned having seen his face and all the emotions that hit you, and while I understand those feelings, I feel like your story would have been more smooth if you had simply gone on about how you were gradually falling versus a sort of jolt of emotions. Overall, I quite liked it and it brought a lot of hard memories back but that really does make your story more relatable.




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 320
Reviews: 7

Donate
Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:09 pm
lil2020 wrote a review...



WOW. This peace was amazing and i never wanted it to end. It was almost like a poem, but not. The first thing I would like to mention is that you are an amazing writer. The way that and the place that you put in details is kind of important if you ask me. Apparently though you must have already knew that because you did a great job at doing that. The second thing I would like to mention is that you did a great job at dividing up the paragraphs. I think that that is a good skill to master, and again you know what you are doing. In all good job on your writing peace and keep up the good work.






thanks so much!



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:03 pm
ExOmelas wrote a review...



''Ta-da!' I say. He laughed a little.' - 'say' is present tense. ' laughed' is past tense. Pick a side and stick with it. ;)

'I grab the first thing with my line of vision' - 'with' should be within.'

Wow, this is incredible! The subject matter is poignant and your portrayal of the character's emotions is extremely moving. There isn't a great deal of setting but in this kind of story that isn't really that essential. Honestly, I was captivated.

My only criticism was that sometimes it was a tad repetitive but I can't really think of a particular place in which this is an issue so I'm sure it's not as much of a problem as I'm thinking.

Well done :D






thanks for the suggestions! I really appreciate it.



ExOmelas says...


You're welcome :D



Random avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 0

Donate
Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:17 pm
View Likes
lolol says...



I can totally relate. This is soo good!





Knowing too much of your future is never a good thing.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief