z

Young Writers Society



The 5 Stages of Grief in Relation to My Eating Disorder

by Gravity


Author's Note: Maybe this should be a blog post. Maybe I should care. I don't. Because anybody who has ever felt bad about their body, or who has put somebody else down needs to see this. I don't want your sympathy, I want you to understand that the way the media treats people who are different, the way we treat bodies that are different... is wrong. Bulimia Nervosa and Anorexia Nervosa are not the only two eating disorders that exist. They are, however, the only eating disorders the mass media acknowledges. I waited two years to accept my situation because people kept treating me like I was gaining weight because I was lazy or undisciplined. You have no right to judge somebody's situation based on what they look like. You have no right to ridicule somebody because you have the luxury of wearing your insecurities inside your body and they don't. You have no right to be anything other than kind or compassionate to another human being because you don't know what they go home to. You never know what goes on behind closed doors.

Denial. I remember my dad who had promised to love me but neglected me, a stepmother who wrecked my family and cast me aside. I remember thinking I could cure my father of his alcoholism, ignoring my own pain. Eating half a dozen doughnuts by myself within the span of an hour. Finishing pints of ice cream and enjoying the rush and trying so hard to turn away from the feelings of guilt and shame. Smuggling junk food into my house or refusing to let anybody other than my boyfriend and my mother watch me eat. Taking just one more bite because the satisfaction of finishing something, of finishing anything, was better than feeling like trash. I could just suck in a little harder, put on a little more makeup, smile a little wider, and nobody would know. Not even me.

Anger. Why did God, or whoever was up there, give me this? How was I supposed to handle my feelings, my cravings, my need for affection when my friends were gone and my father no longer cared. Why couldn't I just make myself throw up? It would be so much easier. It would be so much easier to be so thin I was fading away like a scrap of paper in the wind because at least then I would be worthy of some help. People would stop saying I just "needed more discipline". Maybe they would've realized I wasn't lazy, I was broken. Maybe I would've realized that.

Depression. That crushing feeling of hopelessness. The idea that I would never be good enough or worthy of love. This was all my fault and I felt powerless to stop it. The confusion of not knowing what was wrong with me or how to fix it. This feeling of drowning, of being alone. The feeling that I could stand in a crowded room and scream at the top of my lungs but nobody would care to listen.

Acceptance. The realization that this was an eating disorder. Binge Eating Disorder. I finally had the courage to match the name to what I was going through. I realized that every day would be a battle between trying to lose weight to get healthy and trying to lose weight because I hated what my body was. I gathered the courage to reach out to the few people who stuck by me and ask for their help. Not because they wanted to change me or push me into a tiny box on a BMI chart. Not because they cared what size clothing I wear or how well they can wrap me up and finish me off with a bow made of measuring tape. But because seeing me in pain hurt them too. Because my life is not like a game of golf, I'm not closer to winning because I ate fewer points than what weight watchers recommends. Being on par won't make or break who I am and my obstacles are more daunting than perfectly manicured lawns or pools of glimmering water that always reflect the sun.

When this all started I was a U.S. size 12. 180 pounds. Now I'm a U.S. size 20. 260 pounds. My grief is for the girl I was. Not because she was small or could shop in the misses section of the store, but because She used to smile for photographs. She used to look forward to dressing up, She could get on stage to perform without the fear of people noticing her body. She used to run on the beach in a swimsuit without wanting to crawl underneath the sand. I miss that girl, I yearn for that girl. 

She's dead now. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
52 Reviews


Points: 1689
Reviews: 52

Donate
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:48 am
LeutnantSchweinehund wrote a review...



In your response to my obviously misplaced attempt at providing at least the slightest bit of reassurance and support, you claimed that I should focus more on your work. Now, first I thought it'd be best to leave this work alone, especially after being lashed out at, but every work deserves a review and I need a sense of completion.

So be it, here's an honest review. Fair warning though, I'm an advocate of honest and fair reviewsmanship. So I'm looking at it from a purely technical standpoint here. No feelings involved whatsoever.

One thing strikes me immediately, and that is the strange category choice. Your work is, without the shadow of a doubt, written in prose. I don't see a reason to categorize it as poetry. Just a minor detail, maybe an accident, but whatever, moving on. Not really important.

As for the content itself, I do quite like the use of the stages of grief. It adds a nice tone to the overall work, gives it a gimmick (for the lack of a better word, although gimmick does have a somewhat derogatory vibe) of sorts that I can definitely appreciate. However, you missed bargaining. Bargaining is an essential stage of grief, and you seem to have forgotten to mention it. I'd look over the work and add that bit just for completion ("Had I done this, surely things could have been different," etc.).

The way you describe the process of despising oneself through such toil seems sufficient. Adds a bit of insight. But it has been written like that before. If, however, you could find a way to set yourself apart from others writing about similar topics, it'd lift your work above theirs. See, that seems to be a running theme with common topics. Writers don't do enough to add something new to the table and often end up not interesting the reader. And, after all, interesting one's reader is possibly one of the most important aspects of a good piece of literature. Not that I'm particularly good at garnering interest myself, but I rest my case.

Grammatically, the work seems to be without any glaring flaws. Nice change of pace as well. Good job on that. Speaking of pace, the pacing was good enough, although the story is quite short, so your pacing couldn't really show its true colors. It's a damn shame too. I'd extend the story just a tad if I were you.

Anyway, your piece does what it's supposed to do. Grammar is fine, form seems alright, but it's not poetry, rather prose, and it could have done with a little more length. Perhaps more details, more drawn out descriptions? Since it is a work hinging on feelings and thoughts, you might try to extend those feelings and thoughts, add a touch of philosophy. That's my suggestion, anyway.

Got nothing to say other than that. The final paragraph is by far the best of the bunch, because it's written in a more lyrical, poetic fashion overall, something that's necessary for works of this sort.

Peace be with you! Future hopeful IDF combat volunteer signing out!




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:05 am
Snoink wrote a review...



It's amazing how much emotional agony can wreck havoc with our bodies. I know that, speaking personally for myself, I tend to crave food when I am completely stressed out, and if I don't succumb to my cravings, it physically hurts. :?

Anyway, I think my favorite poetic line in your piece is this one:

Being on par won't make or break who I am and my obstacles are more daunting than perfectly manicured lawns or pools of glimmering water that always reflect the sun.


I like the imagery of the perfectly manicured golf course and the glittering water, especially in contrast of the messiness you described. Especially because the golf course imagery makes me think of all the maintenance that is needed to get it looking that way... it feels so artificial and superficial sometimes.

And we are messy.

Yet...when we compare ourselves to other people, we tend to compare our messy selves to the superficial selves that other people appear as, especially online, we can quickly despair and not realize that everybody is going through their own messiness. So we feel so alone.

I also like the creativity of putting the stages of grief to an eating disorder, because that can be so true, especially since people tend to cycle through the stages of grief. And grief is more than just dealing with death -- though you combined that thought with the end! -- and it can very well be going through a traumatic time.

Anyway! I am rooting for you. Growing up is weird, and it can feel like we die many times in our lives as we face a variety of crises. That girl might be dead... but I think that if you look at the girl who has risen up in her place, you'll find a less naive, tougher, and resilient girl in her place. :)




User avatar
52 Reviews


Points: 1689
Reviews: 52

Donate
Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:49 pm
View Likes



Imma focus on the content of this work, because I can relate and I sure as hell need to support you, 'cause you shouldn't be buying into this whole acceptance thing. That's succumbing to an imaginary defeat, surrendering to something you can beat.

As I said, I get your pain, I really do. It shows in your work, but there's a way out! You might think that it's easy to gain weight, and that my experience isn't as valid as yours, but believe me, to see the scale turn from 120 pounds down to 110 from hour to hour for no reason no matter how much you eat is more than unpleasant, especially for a guy at this age. That, and my girlfriend is slightly overweight (natural disposition, she just puts on fat easily).

However, both of us are fighting and we're fighting hard. It's nearly impossible, but we're winning, pound by pound, and so can you. So you're gonna strip away the people who discourage you, silence them from your life, talk to a proper psychologist who can actually help you with the cravings, and after that, you can start fighting for a better, healthier, and dare I say more attractive body. The possibilities are limitless. The same can't be said for people with an actually fucked up thyroid gland - people who cannot and will not lose weight no matter how hard they try.

Don't take this as me insulting your willpower. Not at all. You have a legitimate issue and need to see an expert. Just know that it isn't final, and people have recovered from worse situations. The human body and mind are both insanely adaptable and you can bend them to such lengths - believe me, the breaking point is still far, far away. You can heal with due time and help.

Accept the situation you are currently in, but don't think of it as a done deal. You aren't nearly beyond help. If you find a professional psychologist, and later a nutritionist and keep at it for a year or two, believe me, you can be that 180 pound girl again sooner than you'd believe. Hell, you can be a 120 pound girl if you so desire. It'll suck and it'll hurt like hell, but it may very well be worth it.

Be in good faith, God didn't bring this upon you. God's will is not to bring pain. Do not feel angry with God, instead, pray for better days. Stay positive, and most importantly, fight!




Gravity says...


I honestly can%u2019t believe how thoroughly and fantastically you missed my point. It%u2019s unbelievable, really. I don%u2019t want to lose weight to be more attractive, because I want to love my body regardless of the changes it goes through. And whether or not my reasons for struggling with losing weight are valid is really not your call to make. And not only that, but you%u2019ve focused just on that part. My %u201Clegitimate issue%u201D that I %u201Cneed to see an expert for%u201D is that my father threw me away and I need help healing emotionally. Weight is temporary. Weight I can deal with. I do need to lose weight but no, you should not dare to say it is for a more attractive body. Because I literally mentioned word for word that if I were to lose weight it should be because I want to be healthy. Not because I want to turn my body into something it is not. Losing weight is not my problem, it%u2019s losing weight for the right reasons. And the fact that you felt the need to justify why your girlfriend is slightly overweight is actually kind of ridiculous. Overweight does not necessarily mean unhealthy. I live off of rice, vegetables, and lean protein and people tell me they are concerned for my health because I%u2019m a size 20. My sister lives off fast food and regularly uses drugs, but nobody worries about her health because she%u2019s a size 2. So you haven%u2019t, in fact, focused on the content of my work. Because if you had focused on all the content you would understand that an eating disorder can not be cured, taken care of, or worked through simply by losing weight, although that is a small step in the process of it.





Alrighty them ma'am. I'm sorry for trying to help you out.

Like I said, try to be healthy. If your body becomes more attractive in the process, which it will, that's just a bonus.

But hey, you do you.

Peace.




It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
— Mark Twain