z

Young Writers Society

2023 NaPo Information

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:19 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Well hi there! On behalf of Poetry Crew, welcome to the beautiful April Poetry Garden also known as National Poetry Writing Month (NaPo). NaPo starts April 1 and is filled with poetry-fun. Here's where you're going to be able to collect all your seeds & supplies (important NaPo links!) and find an index of all your fellow 2023 Poetry Gardeners. Let's fill the site with sweet sweet poetry this year and watch it grow!

This thread is also for you if you are running a contest or jam, or have a word of encouragement, or a question come up you are more than welcome to comment below. Grab a few seeds and jars for poetry jam, and let's get going!

What is National Poetry Month aka NaPo?

National Poetry Month is celebrated all over the globe and is a month-long celebration of all things poetry during the month of April. The classic challenge is to write 30 Poems in 30 days, one for every day in April. You don't have to do 30 poems to participate in NaPo on YWS though, in fact, there'll be a host of challenges and opportunities to earn badges too. (YWS's Poetry Challenges can all be found in our Badge Thread.)

In addition to being challenged to write poetry, we'd also love for you to join us in reading poetry by commenting on other people's NaPo threads and joining in our poetry discussions and write-ins throughout the month too! While you tend to your own poetry garden, don't be afraid to share a little sunshine with your neighbor even if it's just a small comment or a few likes on their thread! This is what makes NaPo so fun on a Social Community-Geared Site like YWS.

How do I participate in NaPo?

To participate in National Poetry Month, you actually don'thave to post your poems through the publishing center (though you are encouraged to fill the lit center with poetry this month). To be considered for the badges and also to let everyone else admire your poetry please make a new thread (just one) in the NaPoWriMo Forum to post your poems in. If you're interested in working towards the Badges please be sure to number your poems!

As a little thread maintenance we do ask poets to observe two things!

* If you are using mature themes or strong language in your poetry, be sure to use a content warning or rating indication before the poem to give readers a heads up please.

* Please choose "comments welcome" as a sticker on your thread if you are open to comments and refrain from commenting on threads that don't have that sticker. Leaving comments is a great way to support and encourage each other during NaPo. Watch out for other ways to participate in Poetry Jams (poetry-write-ins), discussions, and contests throughout the month.

We'll be rolling out a Frequently Asked Questions thread in the next week to hopefully cover all the other basics, but until then, if you have questions don't hesitate to ask!

- Poetry Crew 2023
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

1227 Reviews

1227 Reviews

Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:21 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Have you started your thread?

all my boys are dead - Mageheart
butterflies in my ribcage - Omni
when punching mattresses gets old - spatula
she's just a picture - Elinor
a last love letter to my paradise - LadySpark
deluge - Meshugenah
lipstick stains on wet walls - FireEyes
on computers and chemistry - Spearmint
not all of us are perennials - Lovestrike
full of phantoms - tatteredbones
break - Grimmwolf
My life in many words - Dossereana
Better than a Duty, Better than a Debt to Pay - Liminality
Where am I even going? - Ventomology
midday moon - TheSilverFox
Making friends with broken mirrors - Quillfeather
Ink stains and a honey jar - Buranko
skeleton funerals - figmoon
Panopticon - rida
parked car in the badlands - SilverNight
The end of 14th year of Me - DreamyAlice
All Hail the Fairy Tale - Lucrezia
my path to the moon and the stories i plan to take with me - starshipgirl
The past is not clay, but the future is not stone - niteowl
loving myself as much as i love you - momonster
anatomy of a body that will soon be forgotten - willard
BLESS THE CIRCLE OF LIFE [but don't dare speak of the dead] - Euphory
light, ethereal, bliss, awe. - JustPerks
Memories of Other - winterwolf0100
Ari's Poetry Cove - Ari11
pine trees and plane trees and pavements and parks - Cadi
lacuna - TheBlueCat
Seeking Solace - Hkumar
love letters to a coffee cup - tatteredbones
when i blow you kisses will you catch them? - LuxLuthor
piano keys - looseleaf
chaos is an educational tool - ChesTacos
tell me how all this, and love too, will ruin us - Apricity
Signed, the Universe - WeepingWisteria
The butterfly's that keep me up at night - EsmerayaRose
Press [F] to Poet - KateHardy
and as for the bucket - Plume
If spacecrafts meet - Hijinks
the sunken cathedral - yosh
man of the house - Arcticus
my love letters belong in the fire - LadyBug
whatdoititlethishelp - rubyxbanks
Rocks Under a Waterfall - ForeverYoung299
This is how you start a poem - Rook
This Is How a Zombie Rises - Stringbean
& all these loose-ends - alliyah
Trigger Warning: Loss - Snoink
star's napo thread (not clickbait!!) - starlitmind
So my silence, so my silence won’t, be mistaken for peace - rida
Beauty and Madness: Enter the Dance - BeeTheWanderer
Sonnets from the Leodonian Cypresses - Kelisot
Cavities - NiMiKota

1227 Reviews

Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:18 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Upcoming Pre-NaPo Poetry Events

Your first two Pre-NaPo Events are coming up soon! Don't miss them ~ and be sure to watch this thread for other announcements, events, and encouragements.

Liminality wrote:*TIME CORRECTION -- I changed the year, now it should be right

Liminality wrote:Heads up, you could be discussing a Taylor Swift song at a poetry discussion!!

Hello hello! With NaPo coming up, we're having a special song lyric discussion for our Poetry Readers pad this March! The date/time will be (adjusts to your timezone). You can bring song lyrics from any musical artist you like to discuss. Some examples of the things we might talk about would be favourite lines, how the language of the song makes you feel, etc.

As usual all YWS rules and the content rating system will apply to the pad. Said pad will be posted in the Poetry Readers club and on the People's Tab.

We hope to see you there!

Link to original comment

Link to original comment

LadySpark wrote:Image

@LadySpark and @Seirre are hosting a poetry brainstorm jam tomorrow, *! Come join us and get a head start on your NaPo planting planning!

We'll see you there! Click this link on the 19th to join us!

*date and time automatically adjusts to your timezone!

Link to original comment

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:55 am
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Buzz, Buzz, Buzz! It's time to brainstorm!

Are you ready for NaPo yet? ... We aren't either! To fix that, @LadySpark and @spatula will be hosting a poetry brainstorm jam on ! Come join us and get a head start on your NaPo planting planning!

We'll see you there! Click this link on the 25th to join us!
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

355 Reviews

Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:13 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Extra, Extra— Read All About It!

There's something brand new this NaPo!

There's a new newsletter in town! Welcome to The Orchard, a special NaPo-only e-zine published by the poetry crew to help you have your best National Poetry Month yet! We were so excited to get this newsletter out, we wanted to get a head start and give you a few articles before the official start on April 1st. For the first couple of weeks, you can rely on the Orchard to be your place to look for information & links, events information, and more! As we transition to NaPo, The Orchard will expand to include additional articles— all with the focus of our thriving YWS poetry community.

Click the link above to check out the first edition! Enjoy!
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

1227 Reviews

Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:02 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

lliyah wrote:

1 JAM JAR LEFT: Let's grow some poetry!

Jam jars are getting to be in dangerously low supply here! You know what that means? National Poetry Writing Month is right around the corner. If you haven't posted your thread yet, it's not too late - you still have plenty of time to set some #NaPoGoals and post your thread! (in fact you can join in anytime during April!) Going to share my #WhyNaPo answer from last year as it still applies for why I personally love NaPo:

I think two of the most fabulous things of NaPo are 1) it will absolutely improve your poetry and hone your poetic voice if you write 30 poems in 30 days and 2) if you don't have time to write 30 poems during the month did you know you can still participate at a more chill level? Many people set a goal for 5-15 poems to work with their other life commitments. We even have a badge for writing 5 poems in the month.

Also if you're a bit nervous about sharing your writing with other poets & YWSers, I'd love to encourage you to still give it a try! I really think NaPo brings out some of the most positive poetry vibes of the year, and people are usually really encouraging during the month towards other poetry, so you have nothing to fear! NaPo isn't a competition but a mutual goal to celebrate and write poetry.

To participate in National Poetry Month:
1) Skim through the Information Station for all your poetry gardening supplies and news
2) Make a Poetry Thread for collecting your poetry during the month of April in the NaPo Forum
3) Ask any Poetry Crew Member if you have any questions / concerns.
4) Write Poetry & leave supportive Poetry Comments in NaPo threads during the month of April.
5. Have fun!

Link to original comment

355 Reviews

Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:28 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

There's a new edition of the Orchard!

There's a new newsletter in town! Welcome to The Orchard, a special NaPo-only e-zine published by the poetry crew to help you have your best National Poetry Month yet!

Click the link above to check out the April 1st edition! Enjoy!
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

1227 Reviews

Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:26 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Hopefully amidst all the April Fowl's Day Chaos you've been able to find a little poetry inspiration! But happy first day of NaPo everyone! Read below to check out some announcements about this year's activities ~

Also a little house-keeping:

> Don't forget to use the "comments welcome" or "no comments" tags for your threads and then don't leave comments in the ones with "no comments" please.

> If your poems have mature language or content, it'd be appreciated to throw a little rating somewhere visible so people know what they're getting into. Thank you!

> Please number your poems in some way (on an index, or on the poem itself) if you are going for the badges to make it a bit easier on our counters! Remember Poem A Day goes by your time-zone, and we do allow for you to have up to two poems posted late/early.

> Feel free to use this thread if you have something you'd like to say / share / or a poetry jam to boost!

> Should you have any questions or concerns that are napo-related throughout April, please reach out to your local pcrew mod!

Seirre wrote:HAPPY FIRST DAY OF NAPO!

The long awaited National Poetry Writing Month has finally come back around! This year, your local Poetry Crew would like to introduce two new fresh and jammy hashtags: #PCrewPick and #ThePeoplesPick. (They come with their own limited edition badges, too.)

The poetry mods are going to use the PCrewPick hashtag to highlight a different YWSer's NaPo poem every single day of the month! Each poem that gets a shoutout will be put into The PCrewPick Hall of Fame. Then, at the end of the month, everyone whose poem has received a PCrewPick mention will be awarded an exclusive badge. Keep a lookout later today for the first official PCrew Pick!

If you've ever used #PoetryShoutout or #FiresideFridays, ThePeoplesPick isn't much different! Everyone is invited to use this hashtag. Give a shoutout to your favourite NaPo poems - written by YWSers other than yourself - that you read over the course of the month! We encourage you to use this hashtag multiple times throughout the month (daily, even, if you feel like it). You'll be sure to brighten someone's day! ThePeoplesPick also comes along with a snazzy badge of its very own.

For more information on badges you can earn this month, hop over to the Badge Info Thread. If you want to check out other poetry-related hashtags, you can give the Index of Poetry Hashtags a read, as well!

Let's go spread some encouragement

Link to original comment

355 Reviews

Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:06 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Join me tomorrow at 12:30pm (Central Time Zone) for a planting poetry-poetry jam! Click the link here when it's time to join the party!
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

1227 Reviews

Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:43 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

alliyah wrote:

Happy 5th Day of NaPo

this is a poetry pep-talk

Hey! We're a handful of jam jars into NaPo ~ how are things going? :)

If you need a prompt -> try combining the first noun that comes to mind that starts with the first letter of your name / username, and the current weather outside. ie. apple pie + tornado warnings for me? (by the way I am hoping everyone is staying safe right now!) More Prompts Here.

Be sure to check out all the wonderful challenges PCrew has set-up this year -> here ie. did you know you can earn a special badge by commenting on 5 different threads, and a different badge for going to 5 poetry jams / write-ins during napo? Track your progress in the Badge thread so you don't have to go searching for stray jam jars and pumpkin seeds at the end of the month.

If you need some encouragement -> read this: You are a Poet! And I'm rooting for you and know you can do this, don't be afraid to reach for those stretch goals and put your poetry out there! I've read at least the first poem in every person's thread and can honestly say I've enjoyed the reads and we have a pretty talented group of poets this year! Keep it up! 25 jam jars left!

Also don't miss out on reading the other poetry threads out there and sprinkling a little cheer by leaving likes or comments, half the fun of NaPo is having a chance to read the other tremendous threads in our community so don't miss out! There's already a fabulous amount of poetry there so far.

Link to original comment

355 Reviews

Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:53 am
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Doing a little something different this week and hosting a vocal poetry jam on the 15th of April at 8pm (EST). I'm challenging you to bring a poem you've written during NaPo, with a recording to share with other poets! The easiest way to record yourself is through a service like this one. This will be a super fun jam that's a little different from the others I've hosted this NaPo. I'm excited to see you all there! Click this link on the 15th to access the pad!
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

355 Reviews

Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:17 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

There's something brand new this NaPo!

There's a new newsletter in town! Welcome to The Orchard, a special NaPo-only e-zine published by the poetry crew to help you have your best National Poetry Month yet!

Click the link above to check out the third edition! Enjoy!
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

1227 Reviews

Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:05 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

1/3 Through NaPo

We've made it one third of the way through NaPo! Can you believe it?! The poetry gardens are starting to become fragrant with fresh blooming poetry!

The mile-markers (day 10 / 15 / 20) are good opportunities to do a little check-in and see whether you're on track for your goals, need to sprinkle in some miracle-gro or organize a poetry jam, or even revise your goals to suit your needs! With 20 days left, there's still plenty of time to reach your goals!

A couple reminders:

Poetry Crew is running all sorts of challenges for you from poetry-writing, to commenting, to poetry jams - read all about it in the Badge Thread.

There's over 100 prompts in this thread. For example, here's a fun one you could use: "Write a metaphor that doesn't make sense, without trying to figure out its logic. For example: chickens are like crayola crayons, or ice cream tastes like train crashes. The more bizarre the better!"

If you would like to write with company, anyone can host a poetry jam just post a link in the club (by the way, we're having a special jam on April 15th! Watch out for it and read more in the post above.)

Good luck tackling this last 2/3rds of NaPo! You've got this! Also feel free to post in this thread if you have inspiration, encouragement, challenges, prompts, commentary, questions, chickens, or other napo-relevant announcements or info! :D

455 Reviews

Reviews: 455
Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:08 pm
View Likes
Hijinks says...

PoetryBot wrote:
IT'S TIME

time for a face-off of speed

Strap in, folks! May the speediest poet win! There are 200 points awaiting the winner! Who will be the one to write the most poems in 24 hours ( - ) and bring eternal fame to their name?

Log your battles and poetry over in the Submission Thread and remember to keep us all posted on your poetic victories with the ProlificPoeting hashtag!

Link to original comment
When you're faced with something you don't understand, I think the most natural thing but also least interesting thing you can be is afraid.

-- Hank Green

they/them
(previously whatchamacallit and Seirre)

Forever is composed of nows.
— Emily Dickenson