z

Young Writers Society

Squills 5/1/2017 - 5/6/2017

Reviews: 0
Wed May 03, 2017 12:51 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
megsug

General Editors
Gravity
Aley

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
Holysocks
Spots available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporter
marmalade
Casanova

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Resources Reporter
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Storybook Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Quibbles Columnist

Writer's World Columnist

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Social Correspondent
Mea
EternalRain

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Pruno - Available - PM SquillsBot if interested
Gravity

Code Master
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

General Reporters
Nikayla
PrincessInk

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

See an empty position you'd like to fill? Find position descriptions and instructions to apply here .

Wed May 03, 2017 12:54 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

APRIL MADNESS INTERVIEW: WILLARD
written by Aley < PM: >

One of YWS's older members who used to have different names has recently been getting a lot of attention in both the spotlight for poetry, and in the April Madness contest. I sat down with this dusty star to find out more about @Willard and what he's doing to create such a splash!

Willard has successfully made it with @Lumi, whom I interviewed before, to the final two of the April Madness contest, which is a show down between poets on YWS to see who can write the best poems within 4-2 day time limits during the month of April for National Poetry Month.

Here's the interview with Willard:

Squills: Hello Willard! I was hoping you had a moment for an interview for Squills about April Madness

Willard: Sure!

S: Thank you! First of all, congratulations on getting to the final two! That's a huge accomplishment. What do you think helped you be so successful at this?

W: I honestly have no idea. If I were to point my fingers on one thing, if anything, it'd be my habit of reworking previously written poetry (in the month of April) into new poetry. My last entry, for example, uses the opening stanza of a poem I wrote at the beginning of the month and changed it into something much thematically different.

S: So you're getting a chance to edit all of your poems before you post them while still moving ahead with NaPo. That's a really smart idea. Did you decide to do that as your personal goal for NaPo?

W: Not at all, haha. I think I did it as a spur of the moment type of thing,because no poem I wrote felt natural in the first draft, only bits and segments.

S: So what do you think your chances are at winning April Madness? How nervous are you about this last round?

W: No clue, being honest. I don't even have my poem written yet, and Lumi is such an amazing and consistent poet so the future is very unclear at the moment. Every round so far, I have been in the mindset that I don't have the chance to make it further. Lumi, @Casanova, @PrincessInk, @Nikayla. They're all so wonderful. I am somewhat nervous now, but no matter what it has been a fun competition and having fun is the most important thing in life.

S: Very important for things like this too! Are you going to participate in April Madness next year?

W: Next year is my Senior year in high school, also AP season, so I have no idea whether or not my life would be chill enough to compete. But if I can, I will.

S: Oh wow, you're really close to graduating! Do you have any plans of leaving YWS when you're no longer in the 13-20 year age group we have on the site?

W: Hopefully not! YWS is the most receptive community when it comes to posting poetry or short stories, so if I keep on writing, then I'll stay. If I end up going crazy and ditching all my electronics to find myself spiritually, then yeah, don't expect to see me anymore.

S: Here's to hoping you never ditch electronics then! Last question: How is NaPo going for you?

W: A lot better than I expected, so surprisingly well!

S: Glad to hear it! Do you have anything you think I should have asked but didn't?

W: I don't have any questions in mind, haha, so you're all gooooooood.
Have a great day, Aley!

S: Thanks for the interview! I hope to do it again sometime very soon!

The final results for the April Madness contest will come out sometime at the beginning of May probably within the first 2 weeks. Usually judging rounds take somewhere between 2-10 days depending on the level of competition and considering Willard and Lumi have made it this far, it is fair to say the competition is fierce.

I wish all of the judges and competitors luck in this final round!

Wed May 03, 2017 12:55 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

GREEN ROOM GALLERY: REVIEW DAY SPECIAL

written by Princess Ink < PM: >

First of all, let’s applaud @BlueAfrica’s courage as a Knight of the Green Room to aspire to review all the prose works that have zero reviews. Because of her persistent, helpful reviewing, we have ended up with only a few zero-review works and about one hundred works with one review just before Review Day. Others have also contributed, including @Lumi, @Hannah, @Nikayla, @SarukaTheHuman.

On Saturday morning, as I scanned the oldest works in the Green Room, I was saddened to see that some were still from late March:

-Equivalent Worlds: Chapter 4

Written by @ScarlettFire, This novel is for the contest Last Man Standing! This sci-fi work revolves around Seth Pearce, who is whisked away from Earth for his safety after learning that he is not fully human.

Warning: This work is rated 16+

-Like a Rolling Stone-The Free Wheeling Bob Dylan

@Sharon1407’s essay is both a biography and an opinion piece about Bob Dylan, the singer who recently won a Nobel Prize. The essay ends with some lines from one of his songs.

-Axylia-Kadence (2)

@maisewriting is penning this fantasy novel Axylia with two POVs so far. One is a priestess, while the other runs away!

As Review Day rolled in, though, all of the works above were saved—in fact, the Green Room was emptied just like in the February Review Day! First went the poetry (not that surprising, eh?); then the shorts, essays, and early novel chapters. The last works still in the Green Room were later novel chapters, but some brave reviewers dived in!

@Sheyren and Nikayla reviewed the last work nearly simultaneously: a chapter from @MissGangamash’s The Progeny , a supernatural and science fiction novel.

Some other novel chapters that were lingering too long in the Green Room were finally rescued (Note: the links are pointing to the first excerpts, not the recently critiqued chapters, for a introduction for you):

-Conics Unfortunately @Ventomology, a sci-fi that’s also a comedy (sound interesting?)

-No Destination by @EnderFlash, an action-packed, adventure story about a boy named Abel.

-Ascension by @Feltrix, a fantasy novel revolving around 4 POVs.

But for the Knights of the Green Room, the end of Review Day is just the beginning. Next is the After Watch to make sure that the Green Room has less than fifteen works! But such a pledge may be hard to maintain, for works can slip in past the Knights’ defenses into hard-to-find corners. Still, you can also devote yourself to the cause by helping the Knights or becoming one yourself.

To sum up: all of you did a really amazing job last weekend! Take a breather from your hard work—and dive back in. For the more you review, the more you’ll help your fellow writers.

Wed May 03, 2017 12:57 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by EternalRain < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@GirlWithATypewriter has completed 6 reviews already, which means they’ve gained their first review star!

@HarshLynx has done 3 reviews, well on their way to their first star. They like writing fantasy or realistic fiction novels.

@FizzyGirl has just joined, and has their first work up, Only words.

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

Wed May 03, 2017 12:58 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

A MOD MOMENT: LAUREN2010
written by Lumi < PM: >

Welcome to A Mod Moment, where I, your loyal investigative journalist, will sit down (over scones) with @Lauren2010 to find out the scoop on the next month's activities and schemes...straight from the mod's mouth! Without further ado, Lauren2010? Be...our...guest-- (You still lack the funds to license famous songs, no matter how much you love the candelabra who sings the song.)

Squills: Ultra Supreme--or should I say Master Lauren2010! It's so nice to have you for A Mod Moment! This go around, we're going to be talking about the events coming up soon, and I happen to have an inside hint that you're the mighty woman to come to when it comes to May. Am I right? What exactly is up your sleeve?

Lauren2010: As it so happens, we're hoping to follow NaPo with a month dedicated to writing short stories. We're calling it Show Us Your Shorts month and while it's another month-long challenge (like NaPo or NaNo) it should hopefully be something a little more low-key that anyone can participate in.

S: That sounds absolutely splendid! It may even get me to crank out some short shorts (my grandmother taught me how to tailor denim at a young age.) Will there be any sort of juicy rewards? Or would you like to keep that a secret...or half-secret?

L: Let's just say, if you love clothing-based humor, there's something for you in the 4 different rewards you can earn next month.

S: Clothing-based humor! If it weren't so topical, I'd say you were skirting around the question. Eh? Eh?! Ahem. Would you say there are any workshops or Short Jams in the near future?!

L: There's nothing official on the schedule, but we're definitely hoping to offer some of both next month. And of course, like with NaPo, anyone should feel free to throw together a pad for an impromptu Short Jam. Just remember, all YWS rules still apply to spaces like writerfeed pad!

S: Hear that, folks?! Jams continue to live! In the fiction world, no less! More Jams! But...to the final question. What would you say to our readers out there with ideas in their heads for fabulous ideas that could benefit YWS, like your crew's Majorly Awesome May Madness?

L: I think it's important for everyone on YWS to remember that anyone can put together events and contests and challenges on YWS. I already see the unofficial discord putting together chat events, which is awesome! Even if you just challenge some friends to a week of reviewing or bet who can reach a new wordcount first. Plus, the mods are always open to ideas and requests from the community for anything cool we could be doing for the site.

S: I hope they take that to heart! YWSers, this has been a lovely tea party with one of the most talented writers and fic reviewers I know. If you'd like to talk more, you can find her profile by visiting Lauren2010.

Folks! If you're looking for some joy to fill your May, go digging in your closet for some shorts and get ready to break your writer's block because Show Us Your Shorts Month is coming YOUR WAY!

Wed May 03, 2017 1:02 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

POEMS, SHORTS, AND STORYBOOKS
written by OreosAreLife < PM: >

Poem, Shorts, and Storybooks that's what's happening!
I'm gonna let y'all in on a little secret.... There are great poems, shorts, and storybooks out there by some pretty great writers. And here you shall find just a few! So go ahead and read and after you finish you'll want to go check them out

*Note if there is no word from the author they did not respond.

Poems:
Memories of My Best Friend by GirlWithATypewriter This was a beautiful poem. he wrtier does a great job with details and with making you feel emotion. Their flow thoughtout the poem is nice and keeps you wanting more. Also when it finally end you wsh it never did, because it was that good. Go check it out and make sure to like it, review, and comment!

Cotton-like clouds moving slowly by

You told me to follow the song of my heart

A quick word from @GirlWithATypewriter:
It's a pleasure to hear from you. I'm glad that my poetry has sparked some interest among the fine writers of this website. "Memories of my best friend" is a very special poem for me because it's the first poem I wrote when I was 13 years old. Although I knew that it was not the perfect English and it might have some grammatical errors I wanted this poem to be first up in my portfolio because this poem was the proof that I really had a passion for writing and it gave me the confidence and determination to keep my dreams alive.
This poem was the result of a personal experience. Since the time I was a little kid I always believed that friendship was like the diamond in the bottom of the sea. And being a single child I always craved for companionship. As I grew up with two of my best friends, things didn't really turn out as I hoped. I lost friends really quickly and the truth hurt a lot. I realized that life is not exactly as you expect it to be... With all these crazy happy times with your friends. There will always be ups and downs. But when you're down and really lone, instead of letting ego and all the bad things get up to you just think about all the happy memories you've had with your friends and just enjoy life. So I decided that this poem wouldn't be about the all those tears we've spilt and all those piercing words we've spoken. But it would be about all those precious memories that we've made that make all this worth it.
I hope I haven't really bored you with this long speech because I don't really say things short and sweet. Thank you for spending your precious time so patiently while reading this.
Cheers!
XOXO
GirlWithATypewriter

Memories of My Best Friend

Silence kills more than Curiosity by VegasLights - This poem really tells how the writer is feeling. It makes you feel such intense emotion that you can't help but feel what the writer feels. The detail the writer has put into the poem takes you though an image of what the writer is telling you, so you can't help but feel like you are there with them as they write it. This is an amazing poem. Go like, comment, and review it!

My smile is fabricated

The screaming is now a voice

A quick word from @VegasLights:
I wrote this poem because I am a silent person and I am going through a time of troubles. So when I tend to hear the phrase, "Curiosity killed the cat" I wanted to add a twist to the poem that somewhat related to me. I also want people to know that just because a person is silent it doesn't always mean that a person is just quiet, it can also mean that they are going through something and all they want to do is find happiness. That is what inspired me to write my poem!

Silence kills more than Curiosity

Shorts:
Welcome to the Show! by Ineedy0u - This was very exciting and suspenseful. It keeps you locked right to the end. You don't want to stop reading and when it ends you don't want it to. It's full of emotion and very great detail you feel as if you are the main character. Go check it out and make sure to like, review, and comment!

Will someone find me? The thought fills my head and drowns out all of the noises from the couple upstairs.

I woke up hours later I assumed in a room, half the blood was gone and an IV was in my arm.

Here is a quick word from @Ineedy0u:
Well I'm a high school student and we have block scheduling so I only decided to write this because I had the time. Normally when I'm writing I start simple. I choose a sentence that seems like it would grab attention. Or like I did in Welcome to the Show I started with a little bit or dialogue, I thought it was appropriate for the kind of story. But, from there I just started to poor my heart out. I really love scary movies and things like that, but I've never really wrote one. I also believe that I have felt a lot of panic in my life, so unlike my other stories I had insight to what panic really feels like. I was in second grade when I really noticed how my mother and fathers relationship took a bad turn, and when this happened I had several times where I was scared that he would blow up again and hurt me. I know it sounds awful but I was having anxiety when I wrote this, and for some odd reason It helped me. Writing has always calmed me, and most things I write were thought of when I was doing it. It's like talking, you don't even think about what you're going to say next.

Welcome to the Show!

Irrelevant #1 by Augustus - - This is an interesting read. The way the writer writes it is unique. The detail is amazing and you can picture it in your head. It is full of different things and that is what makes it so interesting to read. The randomosity of the characters thoughts are a bit hectic, but there is more to come so it will make sense in time. Go check it out, review, and comment!

But this pink patch on the whitewashed wall in front of me seems more important than the aforementioned advice.

Wandering eyes search for something to hide an allusion that nobody knows of, until now.

A word from @Augustus-
Thanks for choosing my short to write in Squills News! Well, as one can see there are a lot of discrete imaginaries that are placed one after another in no particular order. It's just the way my main characters mind works! There was no particular source of inspiration for this work-- just a page from my old personal journal that I came across, incidentally. Stay tuned for the next chapters, I hope you will enjoy it-- as I enjoyed writing them. :D
Thanks,
~Augustus

Irrelevant #1

Storybooks:
Gateway by Mage - This sounds like an interesting storybook. And it is interesting to see what y'all might choose

Only time will tell if we're making the right choice.

Eight years ago, the world changed.

Here is a quick word from the creator @Mage:
It took me a little while to come up with the idea for Gateway. I wanted to have a fun storybook that told a story no one has really tried telling before, so I tried thinking of something completely original. I eventually came back to something incredibly familiar to me - Minecraft. I've written Minecraft fanfiction for awhile now, and one of my most successful storybooks was a Minecraft. I ended up adapting a concept from my first Minecraft fanfiction, A Hero's Destiny, and Gateway was born! The basic idea I chose was that Minecraft is actually another world, and that when players kill mobs and/or destroy things, they're changing the world. I've had a lot of fun with coming up with ideas for Gateway so far, and everyone keeps posting awesome posts!

Gateway

These are all for this week. But there is always next week! Who knows you just might get featured? Until then, keep writing and I hope to read more of your guys' work!

Wed May 03, 2017 1:03 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

The Yewis Compendium of Writing Prompts
Please join this new club and help create a massive collection of writing prompts!

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Wed May 03, 2017 1:03 am
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis • @Noiralicious • @BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @Buggiedude2340• @Kosmos • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Jhinx • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @SkyeWalker@Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake@ely@Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback •@Falconer • @BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings • @Ithaca • @TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Mage • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim • outvaders • @StormCycle • @pkidchick • Stormcloud • @OreosAreLife • @SarukaTheHuman

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

If I'm going to burn, it might as well be bright.
— Frank Zhang