A Dance With the Devil

by Plume

I went for a dance with the devil,

Invited to disco in hell.

I pranced with the sinners, entranced with the winners.

I really was treated quite well.

~

The damned, they know how to revel,

A quality that the holy lack.

And the best one of all, an angel of fall

Is Satan, a shrewd maniac.

~

For the devil, he knew all his moves,

The tango to the pirouette.

He waltzed and he turned, and watching, I learned,

Wishing that we could duet.

~

Then the devil, he asked me to dance,

With fire and steel in his eyes.

I took his hand, then up I did stand,

Half-ready for a surprise.

~

Instead, he guided me gently,

His hooves making marks on the floor.

He cradled my waist, whispered words I could taste.

I pitied the girls come before.

~

He made me feel I was wanted,

No matter what my demons said.

Despite his nature, he was charming in stature.

My heart pounded with heat, full of dread.

~

He did let me go, at the end.

The music died down to a thrum.

But I’ll never forget our little musette.

Some days I can still hear the hum.

~

For I went for a dance with the devil,

Invited to disco in hell.

I pranced with the sinners, entranced with the winners,

And for the devil I fell.

Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:23 am
Riverlight wrote a review...

Hullo there from Dixie! This is VP with a review!

Oh. My. Lord.

That was amazing, in my not-so-humble opinion. Maybe I'm finally cracking, like most writers do at some point or another, but I could've sworn I heard hooves tapping against a floor halfway through. There are few poems that allow me to see an image so clear, so refined... and yet, a blur all the while.

I do believe that this Narrator could have been someone younger, maybe reckless, reckless enough that it cost her the life she had. This girl, I think, is dead, and her death has allowed her to be "entranced with the winners".

You're style of poetic writing is unique. Rereading it a... third time, I think... I am comparing what I believe Heaven and Hell to be-- I'm seeing pretty, elegant words where simpler ones could be used just as greater, more powerful people normally do not have the humility and humbleness required to be godly. It has a certain... je ne sais quoi, really.

I hope to have the chance to read and review more of your work soon!

-VP

Plume says...

AHH thank you so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

lillianna wrote a review...

hey there silverquill! i hope you’re having a wonderful day. i’m harper, and i’m here to review your poetry. to start off the title. it’s quite eye catching! that’s definitely a good element to have, making your readers already attracted to the work. i loved this poem very much, and it had a great flow. your rhymes sounded great, and flowed nicely without sounding too, hmmm, how do i put this, elementary? yeah i think that’s the word. anyways, as for some of the lines, the only thing i find a bit out of place was the “disco in hell” part, as the other reviewers here said. besides that, i think you made hell sound very glamorous!

i don’t know if this was on purpose, but for me it made it seem like satan represents someone who hurt you maybe? i don’t know haha. anyways, i hope you enjoyed reading this! oh, one more thing, i like the formatting! but have a wonderful week, and keep writing!

with all my well wishes, harper

Plume says...

Thank you so much for your review! I enjoyed seeing your interpretation.

Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:39 pm
Que wrote a review...

Hi silverquill!

This is a really cool poem you have, I love its flow and development! Just a few suggestions I might make.

I really dig your rhyme scheme. However, it seems as if you're trying to follow a set rhythm that you don't quite follow through with. Most of the stanzas look very similar to 8-8-10-8, but they all vary from it. I think it might enhance your flow if you could make it all even? I know that can sometimes mess with the way you have your words laid out, and you don't want to change the meaning of the lines, but I think it's worth playing with to see if you can get even syllables in a set format.

Invited to disco in hell.

The use of "disco" seems a little out of tune (haha) with the rest of your poem. You use more formal dancing words, like waltzing and a duet, so disco seems kind of disruptive and modern. It goes well with the idea of sinners having a great time, but not so much with the more serious dance with the devil. It did seem really striking, though, so maybe you want to keep it!

The usage of entranced is a little odd here--is the narrator entranced with the winners, or does the narrator entrance the winners?

I pitied the girls come before.

I'm not sure if you meant something more like envied here. Why would the narrator pity others before her if she is having a great time?

No matter what my demons said.

Since there may be actual demons in this scenario, is there a way to clarify that these are inner demons? At least that's how I read the line, but it's a little unclear.

The music died down to a thrum.

Some days I can still hear the hum.

Hm, the word "musette" seems a little obscure, I wonder if you could find another word for it? I know it's really hard to rhyme, but just a heads up that readers might not know what it is. It may be better to use "duet" here and replace your previous iteration of duet with dance or something else. Hum and thrum also seem really similar, and kind of odd that the music would die to a "thrum" rather than a "hum," -- you could potentially still hear the "drum" instead.

Sorry that I've been really picky about your word choice! It's just because the rest of your poem and the story behind it is really nice. :) Plus, in a poem like this, word choice can be key. Your poem is really good, but sometimes if you play with specific words you can just make it shine out a little bit more. :)

Nice job with this! It was a really fun piece to read. Good luck on your writing endeavors! :D

-Q

Plume says...

thanks so much for your review! I really love your suggestions.

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:44 pm
Vaibhav says...

Hey,
This is one awesome piece. Not to mention but if "Invited to disco in hell." was "Invited to duet in hell". It would have kept the spirit of the devilry alive throughout.
Thanks.

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:34 pm
Mr.Owl says...

Ok for the poem, it was so great for me! yet it's dark but lovely well, nothing beats love I guess even you fell for an angel or devil. great piece!!! continue doing that!

Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:42 am
nanda wrote a review...

Oh my goodness! @silverquill12 You really fell for the devil. Didn't you?
Well a nice piece of work. A unique theme, exclusive characters and a beautiful presentation! All that I have to say about this work is *wonderful*!
Don't you think so?
What actually compelled me to read this poem was its title
'A dance with the devil' .
And then the idea of 'disco in the hell' was something quite new for me. But it sounded quite interesting. The way you've presented the idea of Satan being good is something very different.
It is completely different from the spiritual content we read daily .
Altogether a really good thing. Well done and keep writing!

Best wishes
Mahira

Plume says...

So glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for your thoughts.

He knew that elbow.
— soundofmind