z

Young Writers Society



Tell Me

by Plume


Tell me

When you read the book

You gave it all and all it took

Was your mind enlightened with a glow?

-

Tell me

Just how far you went

Down each path, the straight and bent

How many rivers doused you with their flow?

-

Tell me

Did you sit surprised

When you saw the fear in your lover’s eyes

Or did you comfort her to let her know?

-

Tell me

Where your brothers two

Danced with all the steps they knew

Did you think that they would never grow?

-

Tell me

As you sip your tea

Standing right in front of me

Did you think that life would go so slow?

-

Tell me

Life is but a dream

Sometimes you laugh, sometimes you scream

But seldom is the line of status quo.

-

Tell me

When you saw the lark

All alone and in the dark

Did you think its song was from a crow?

-

Tell me

What you thought of her

The heart of stone, the stole of fur

Was it real or was it just for show?

-

Tell me

As you stood knee-deep

In a forest cold where willows weep

Did you feel their wrath within the snow?

-

Tell me

Of the Great Big Plan

Will it end because it can

How many days of living do you owe?

-

Tell me

As your knife cuts deep

You know that death is just like sleep

These questions are my gift before you go.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 3561
Reviews: 29

Donate
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:41 am
View Likes
mckaylaam wrote a review...



Hey there! Just popping in for a quick review :)

To start off, I really enjoyed reading this! My favorite stanza was the fifth where you wrote

Tell me
As you sip your tea
Standing right in front of me
Did you think that life would go so slow

The question that was posed at the end was really interesting and feels like something I've asked myself more than a few times. I also liked the tenth stanza, I liked the existential feeling to it!

I would've liked to see in this poem was some more punctuation, and by that I don't necessarily mean at the end of each and every single line. I think maybe adding some question marks would help, but other than that I don't think it's absolutely necessary to add anything other punctuation, since poetry doesn't always abide by "normal writing rules".

The only other thing I'd like to mention is that, while I love the third stanza a lot, the last line was a bit confusing. When you wrote "Or did you comfort her to let her know", I felt there was a part missing - "let her know" what? I'm leaning towards letting her know that you were/are there for her, but feel free to let me know what you meant by this part.

Other than what I mentioned already, there wasn't really anything else I wanted to comment on - you did a great job! Keep up the amazing writing.




Plume says...


Honestly, I guess that's what I meant? I'm not sure. I just wrote the words with no meaning behind them and want others to do the work analyzing it. Thanks for your review!



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 349
Reviews: 15

Donate
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:16 pm
View Likes
thegoldenbird wrote a review...



Hi silverquill12!
This poem gave me the chills as I went on reading it. It was a nice combination of the independent thoughts and the flow of the poem and there was surely a chilling end to the verse. However, I would like to give you a few suggestions as to how you can improve the poem. However, this is your creation. So please feel free to ignore these improvements if you please. Here I go:

1. At the end of each stanza which questions the reader, please put a question mark. It is a big turn off when the stanza begins with a question and doesn't end with a question mark.

2. Please add the proper punctuation at the end of each line to help in the comprehension.

3. The flow of the poem, although kind of steady, fluctuates a lot. Usually a poem starts at a certain emotion, builds it up and then ends at the desired emotion. Or goes through a smooth transition from one emotion to the other. This one, on the other hand, seems highly haphazard. It's like I can see the thoughts just randomly appearing in your head as you write. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not. If it was, please feel free to ignore the following suggestion. But if it wasn't, I suggest you to change the order of the stanzas this way:
If we number the stanzas from 1-11, I think the order should have been:
2, 3, 5, 4, 6, 7, 1, 9, 8, 10, 11.
This way the poem goes in a transition from things that make us think (2, 3, 5), to the speeding up of life (4, 6), to thinking about life (7), to thinking of the lark and the crow: the bad omen indicating that the poem is about to get dark (1), to things beginning to get dark as the narrator realises the truth of her (9), to the dark forest that the consecutive pains leads to (8), to the contemplation of death (10), and finally, to death itself (11). I think this would create a better flow of thought and remove the haphazardness while still leaving the impact.

4. Capitalization of all lines seems amateurish and is against the rules of grammar. So I suggest that you capitalize the first line of each stanza alone.

5. In stanza 4, it should be "with the balls".

6. In stanza 5, "reach a hand" doesn't sound right grammatically and gives a weird vibe. Perhaps you could replace it with "reach out"?

7. In stanza 8, it should be "cold, where" by the rules of grammar.

8. There seems to be a problem between the first person and the second person pronouns. The whole poem goes with "you" facing the problems, "you", thinking about life, "you" feeling cold and sad etc, but in stanza 10, it's "how many days of living do I owe". Why would "I" be thinking of death when "you" were the one feeling the pain? Then again in stanza 11, there's a mismatch. It was "I" thinking of death in stanza 10 but "your knife" cutting deep in stanza 11. Then again, it's "before I go". Why would "I" be going when it was "your knife" that made the cut? Please remove this confusion.

9. You don't have to end with "Tell me" after stanza 11. Stanza 11 ends on a chilling note and to let that be maintained in the reader's heart, you should just leave it like that. The last "Tell me" is a turn off that way because it doesn't let that feeling remain and seems unnecessarily added.

I'd like to state again how good this poem is. I also want to appreciate your writing skills at the age of 15 and I hope you flourish in the future.
Keep writing!

P.S. I'd like it if you reply to this review.




Plume says...


Hey! Thanks for your review. In my personal opinion, grammar and convention go away when writing poetry, but I get that you were confused. To be honest, I'm confused by this poem too. I think you got that it was indeed quite stream of consciousness. I appreciate you ordering it for me; I'll probably do that when I feel motivated. I love how seriously you took this poem, and how generous you were in suggesting that I don't actually need to take these suggestions. I appreciate it, really, I do. So here's the reply you wanted. Hope you hate it! :)



Plume says...


Augh goodness that was rude. I'm starting beef that needn't be birthed. Seriously, I appreciate your review. It was very amusing. Thanks.





It's quite alright; I wasn't offended. And you're welcome.




I sleep with reckless abandon!
— Link Neal