z

Young Writers Society



People Say

by Plume


People say I am lost

And I laugh and say

"I am not. You just haven't found me."

                               

People say I am different.

I frown and say

"I am not. You are just similar."

                     

People say I am mean.

I smirk and say

"I am not. You just can't take a joke."

                       

People say that I shouldn't pin all my problems on others.

                  

...they have a point there. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 1513
Reviews: 27

Donate
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:45 pm
View Likes
StudentAH says...



Silverquill, you are quite the poet.

I loved this poem, its hard to describe why, because I feel like its all written there in the poem itself! Fantastic.




Plume says...


I don't know [i]why[i] my notifs didn't tell me that you commented, but thank you!! I'm glad you loved it.



Plume says...


Gah oopsies I forgot the slash in the code. Welp. It's supposed to be italicized.



StudentAH says...


Heheh XD



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 173
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:59 am
View Likes
oceans wrote a review...



Hello again Silver!

I am pretty sure I reviewed one of your other poems, nice to see ya again! This poem is very cool and very realistic, I'm sure many people can say it hits close to home. The idea was very simple, and that's cool too, because I think as writers we sometimes overthink too much. So, it is cool that you wrote about something so simple yet so real. It is humorous too and I like that, you did well with that. It is true, some things just are what they are. Great job and keep writing!




Plume says...


Thank you!



User avatar
4129 Reviews


Points: 260826
Reviews: 4129

Donate
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:48 am
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm Harry here to leave a review here courtesy of the checklist challenge. I'm not too good at reviewing poems so I hope I do an okay job here.

First Impression: This seems like a pretty simple little poem that you've got here. Nice and funny without being overdone and getting across a little message all at the same time and those are all good things. There's also a nice little pattern that you've created with the repetition in this piece, it gives the whole thing a really nice rhythm.

Anyway let's get right to it,

So umm down to some more detailed stuff in here. First of all I don't see anything at all wrong with respect to your spelling or punctuation. The whole thing reads very nicely too...there are no points of confusion or awkward phrasing.

Aaaaand that's it for this one. Not much to comment on really. Its so short and gets the point across welll.

Overall: Overall like I said its short and sweet and gets across a very relatable point while also being really fun to read. Great Job!!

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




Plume says...


Thank you for your thoughts!



KateHardy says...


You're Welcome!!



User avatar
68 Reviews


Points: 810
Reviews: 68

Donate
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:36 am
View Likes
BhavyaMehta123 wrote a review...



Hi! What people say, think or do has always pulled me. And those last lines are so true. Somewhere this poem is a short description of my life and I just could relate with it in every way possible.
I just fell in love with the poem as soon as I came across the first stanza. And the last lines are the climax- they just made my realization all more strong.
As a critic, so many people have said so many things so I believe that's enough. But here to tell you that this poem was fan and honest.
Thank you for sharing this!!!
Happy RevMo!




Plume says...


Thank you!! I'm glad you enjoyed!



User avatar
112 Reviews


Points: 2094
Reviews: 112

Donate
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:44 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll wrote a review...



Hi, silverquill! Raven here with a review.

Wow, so I started out a bit unsure about this poem, but that final line really pulled me in! What an excellent ending. I really liked the moral and how you build up to it, making the reader think that this will be a poem about resisting conformity and then turning it around to show us that our problems can't be blamed entirely on other people.

I'm on mobile so I can't go as in-depth as I would on a computer, but I have a couple critiques on this poem.
The first critique is that in the second stanza, saying that the person isn't different and others are just similar is sort of a paradox. If the other people are similar then the speaker must be different.
The second critique is that you mince your words a bit too much. Usually I tell people to remove adjectives or verbs, but the entire poem feels a little threadbare. If you could get those lines a little meatier and chunk up words like "mean" to something that packs more of a punch, you'd have a great poem on your hands!

I'd love to go more in-depth on this poem, but unfortunately I'm limited due to my lack of computer for the weekend. Still, this was a great poem with an excellent twist at the end. Great job!

Happy RevMo,
RavenLord




Plume says...


Thanks for your thoughts!



User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 14090
Reviews: 351

Donate
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:07 pm
View Likes
mellifera wrote a review...



Hey silverquill12!

Happy RevMo! I hope you don't mind if I drop in today for a review!

I'm not well-versed with reviewing poetry, so please take my advice with a grain of salt!

People say I am lost

And I laugh and say

"I am not. You just haven't found me."


The flow of this sounds better to me if the "and" is removed? More of a personal critique, but as I read it out loud, it seems more interrupted without the "and".

Also? If I may suggest adding some sort of allusion to being lost/easily confused as to being lost, and that probably doesn't make sense but for example, if you described the author as saying something like "I laugh towards my wayward path and say", then it gives a little more imagery as well as giving a reason as to why the "people" may say they are lost (and I gave that more as an example than a suggestion, but I think it would strengthen the poetry here if you gave a quick reason as to why people tell the author they are "lost". Plus, if you do something that shows why people may think they're lost, it might add a playful tone to this bit? Like, if the author is aimless skipping along a path they don't know the end to, or something like that, it's a little more light-hearted, since this is in the humour section).

People say I am different.

I frown and say

"I am not. You are just similar."


I notice you put a period after "different", which you didn't do after "lost" (also for "mean" as I peek ahead), so I'm wondering if you meant to put one after "lost" or there was just a minor inconsistency. I don't have much of an opinion either way, I think it is more staggered/halted with the period as opposed to the first section, which was more open/freed without the punctuation.

Also, I think I understand what you're getting at here, but everyone is technically different. I think you're trying to suggest that people believe the author is weird/different in a bad way. Maybe something like "People say I am strange / I frown and say / "I am not. You are just plain." ? This line seems a little more accusatory, but I'm really not sure how to make it work either. I know it's not very helpful to just say "this part bugs me, but I'm not exactly sure why", but it's better than not saying anything at all. It could be because being weird/different is a positive thing to me, and though I'm not saying it's being looked at in a negative light (just taken negatively by the other people referenced), it could be just that?

I will leave you with that, because I'm not sure what else to say there, but hopefully it made sense :)

(also suggest, as I did with the first one, that you add something to allude to why people say the author is "different", and same with the next one)

People say I am mean.

I smirk and say

"I am not. You just can't take a joke."


I think one of the things about the two middle sections that sort of puts me off is that the first one had a stronger sense of wanderlust/being content with the author's place in the world, whereas these two feel... more straightforward? If that makes sense. There isn't as much feeling in these two parts, in my opinion, though this one I've just quoted certainly feels more headstrong/defensive.

I think instead of "mean" I might use a stronger synonym that fits the "you can't take a joke" theme, since I usually see being mean as an intentional, angry behaviour? This seems to me to fit more in with "abrasive" or "insensitive", since "not taking a joke" might mean the author is making an insensitive joke or one that is abrasive to someone else. If you were to change the idea of being mean/rude/abrasive/etc because of bad joke, I would suggest something else? But as it stands, that's my thoughts on the wording of the poem right now.

People say that I shouldn't pin all my problems on others.



...they have a point there.


I want to say this feels like an abrupt end to the poem, but you did categorise this as humour, so I really can't because the humour comes with how abruptly it ends (so, basically it's a good thing and I've said this in a very roundabout way lol). I might suggest no having so much of a space between the two lines, because I think the immediate ...yeah, sure, okay, maybe people have a point is funnier than a spaced pause and then an ellipsis pause (plus two pauses right after each other?).

And since this a humorous poem, I might also suggest adding in "...yeah, they have a point there." because, again, light-hearted. It's agreeing with the people they've been saying were wrong in a breezy, fun sort of way, and making a reflection of the poem more like "huh... yeah, ok, I see your point!"


Overall, a well-written poem! I hope that there are bits in my review that are helpful to you :D If you have any questions/comments about anything I said, please do let me know!

I hope you have a fantastic day!




Plume says...


Thank you for your thoughts! Yeah, I totally didn't notice the period inconsistencies, thanks for pointing that out! I also really like your suggestion for expanding the poem.




If you are tired remember it's a sign that you haven't expired
— fatherfig