12+

Emperor's Heir - Chapter 22

by shieldmaiden

I turned the pages, riffling through them with growing anxiousness. Not a word appeared. Yet, they were not torn, and though aged, remained in perfect condition. Why would someone carry around a blank book? And then, why store it in the library as a hidden treasure?

With a heavy sigh, I shut the book in disappointment. As I did so, my fingers brushed against its threadbare cover, seeking out the irregular grooves that were digging into the book’s edges. I continued to run my fingers up and down along the cover aimlessly, stricken by the strange sensation it gave me, when a curious thought prodded the corner of my mind.

The edges were not marked in a steady pattern that one might find on an ordinary book. This one was too irregular.

I jumped off the bed and marched to the open window. Bringing the cover up to the light, I recognized that there were words – words of a foreign tongue – engraved along the edges. I squinted hard at the writing, hoping that the strange characters would make sense to me. They did not change shape into the language I knew. Their curious curls and little legs remained the same, tantalizing and mischievous.

Nevertheless, for a brief moment, it appeared as if the sun shone extra brightly and caused the letters to wink. And once they did, suddenly, I could understand them. I couldn’t read them. Not a single individual character made sense. Yet, I knew the message written down, as if it had been whispered in my ear.

If ye be a daughter of the Kacheinagh

Then speak ye name of blood

Reveal thyself a friend

For these memories flood

Thy mystery to rend

Puzzled, I tried to decipher the code. Beneath my breath I whispered, “Kkachi.” Nothing happened. I tried ‘Forsythia’. Nothing. Blood – perhaps it needed my blood for the spell to work. I pricked my finger with the blade of my sword and touched my bleeding finger to the cover of the book. Again, I spoke my name – both of them.

Neither worked.

Angry and frustrated, I threw the book across the room in a fit of temper. It fell upon the floor at the foot of the bed, its pages whispering a hurt sigh as the binding bent itself prostrate with both covers open wide. Immediately sorry, I rushed over to pick it up when a knock sounded on the door. Turning in a panic, I kicked the book under the bed just as Nalda entered the room.

Are you alright, child?” she asked, her brows furrowed with concern.

I hid my cut finger behind my back. “Quite fine,” I replied with, I hoped, a convincing smile.

But I heard something fall?”

I shook my head and waved my other hand carelessly. “I only dropped something. Very clumsy of me.”

Oh,” Nalda nodded as she looked suspiciously about the room.

Was there anything else?” I hastened to ask.

Yes, actually.” The old woman grinned. “His Majesty has invited you, your husband, and Usan to take a tour of his own personal garden.”

My brows flew. “How nice! When?”

Right now, or as soon as you are ready.”

Now?” I nudged my foot a little farther under the bed. “Couldn’t it wait till tomorrow?”

Nalda frowned. “No, it will not. Your father is expecting you and you don’t want to be late.”

I hung my head dutifully. “Very well. Tell the others I will be right out. I just have to change.”

Nalda gave me a final nod and left, closing the door behind her with one last glance at me over her shoulder. Leaving the book among the dust and cobwebs under the bed, I washed my face and quickly changed into some new garments and a decent dress before marching outside.

Usan and Iyagi were eagerly waiting for me beside the bridge.

You ready?” I asked Usan.

The boy nodded nervously. “I’ve never met the actual Emperor before,” he murmured under his breath.

With a shock, I realized that he was right. “I’m sorry,” I apologized, “I should have introduced you to Father sooner. But there’s no need to worry. He’s the best man I’ve ever known.”

Is he as nice as Iyagi?” the boy asked innocently.

I blushed, not sure what to say. Iyagi quickly came to my rescue.

Better,” the prince said with a chuckle.

Usan nodded before taking Iyagi’s hand and then my own. All together, we walked to the High Palace Garden.

* * * * *

Father met us at the entrance to his quarters.

You’re here to see the garden?” He asked.

Yes, Your Majesty,” Usan quietly.

Father bent his knee till he was looking in the child’s eyes. “This must be the boy you’ve told me so much about,” he said to me without tearing his own eyes away from Usan’s.

Yes, Father,” I said proudly.

Such deep pools,” the Emperor whispered to himself as he continued to gaze at the boy’s face.

Usan leaned ever so slightly forward. “She misses you too,” he said softly.

Father looked startled for a moment. Then his eyes turned misty.

Right then,” he stood up hastily, “Come this way.” He held out his arm for me to take. Once I linked mine within my Father’s, the Emperor began to lead us down a gravel path towards a stone wall.

The wall was carved mysteriously into the side of the mountain that hung a large shadow over the entire Palace court. As we approached closer, I could make out strange markings engraved in the aged rock – all swirls and lines imprinted in a repetitive pattern.

A similar pattern to the one on a book back in my room hiding under the bed.

When we reached it, the Emperor paused to watch me as I ran my fingertips along the graves of those characters cut into the rock. When I looked at him, Father only smiled before turning to the others.

Here we are,” he announced.

Usan looked around. “This isn’t much of a garden,” he said, wrinkling his nose.

The Emperor laughed heartily. “No, it isn’t, is it. The garden is inside.”

In there?” the boy asked, pointing at the mountain.

The Emperor didn’t answer, but turned back to the mountain. Facing it, he raised his arms, palms up, and muttered something under his breath, too softly for any of us to hear. And, right after whatever poured out of Father’s mouth, the wall crumbled and cracked till, before our very eyes, a door slid open.

That wasn’t there before,” Usan announced matter-of-factly.

No, my son,” Father chuckled, before glancing over his shoulder, “Quick – come inside!”

Dumfounded, we followed. As soon as we stepped through, the wall closed with a grating sound and snapped shut, leaving the door invisible once again.

How does it do that?” Usan asked, his voice echoing off of the mountain’s walls.

An ancient magic was placed on this mountain long ago as a secret safehold for the royal family,” The Emperor explained, “A secret password has been passed from generation to generation known only to a few within the palace.”

Will it be passed to us?”

Kkachi already has been given it.”

I have – had?” I asked.

Father nodded. “You used to come here all the time. Usually with your mother. It was both your special place.” He spoke in a hushed, reverent voice.

I looked about the cave in wonder, its walls holding new meaning. What memories were stored within them? What laughter had echoed down the cavern?

The Emperor began to walk down a path that would have been very dark if it hadn’t already been lit by a row of wax candles lined up against the rock walls. “Come. I shall show you the garden.”

Usan ran after him till he was walking at His Majesty’s side. “How can a garden grow inside a mountain?” The boy asked.

Ah, wait and see,” The Emperor replied mysteriously with a smile.

We came to the end of the candlelit path. It opened into, what looked like, a grand cavernous circular hall. And, in the very middle of this cave, pouring out of the roof of the mountain, was a waterfall. The easy flow of water fell softly through a large gaping hole in the cavern’s ceiling and into a small pool at the bottom of the cave’s floor where lilies bobbed and floated among the ripples of the edge. Out of the water and planted all around the pool’s rim, bloomed flowers of all kinds, taken from all across the Empire.

It had been your mother’s idea.” I looked to find Father standing at my side, tears forming at the corners his eyes.

It’s beautiful,” I whispered back, placing a hand upon his arm.

He laid one palm over mine and squeezed it. “I used to believe this was her favorite spot in the entire world.”

Was it?”

Father looked at me and smiled. “No. She said that her favorite spot was a special place shared only with her daughter. It was her very precious secret with you.”

With me?”

Yes,” Father said tenderly, cupping one side of my cheek, “Your mother loved you very much.”

My eyes started to prick and I bit my lip to keep from crying. “May I look around?” I asked, swallowing.

Of course.” Father nodded and leaved me to wrestle with deep emotions that broiled within my soul, though my memories still remained tethered.

I walked around the pool slowly. The mist and spray from the waterfall filled the cave with a fresh scent, covering the flowers with ever-present little dewdrops which twinkled like stars on their delicate petals. As I admired their pretty display, I noticed that the floral arrangement did not go about the entire pool as I had previously thought.

Right in front of the waterfall, farthest away from the path, was a slight break where no flowers had been planted. Curious, I stepped closer to inspect it. The shallow absence of petals was not done by mistake, and almost resembled a small, singular footpath leading straight into the pool.

I began to call out for Father and the others to come take a look, when something glinted through the waterfall, blinding my vision. Rubbing my eyes, I looked around, searching for that bright light. There were only cave walls – nothing that would have bounced through the water like that. Intrigued, I stared hard and straight through the water. Then I blinked. The mist and the sun were playing tricks by forming some sort of mirage. That’s the only explanation. How else could I have seen another cave on the other side.

Yet it looked very real. It was a little similar to the one I was standing in. Only this one opened directly out into a forest. I could even make out the green leaves of trees. And strangely, the sun was setting.

I looked up. From where I stood, I was right beneath the open roof and could easily make out the sun, still only midway through her daily journey in the sky. It was still noon. Yet, shining right through the doorway in the waterfall, she was casting vibrant colors of red and orange through the rippled streams as the sun began to set her head.

Transfixed, I stretched out my arm to touch the mirage. My hand went through the waterfall, but instead of coming out on the other side, it fell against hard rock.

I drew my hand back as if bitten. I looked about carefully to make sure that no one was watching. Father and Iyagi were deep in conversation, and Usan was running up and down the lighted path. Breathing in deeply, I stretched out both hands widely through the water on either side. Both touched hard rock. As I brought them closer to the middle, I nearly fell as my fingers grasped at nothing but air. It seemed as if there was a crack in the mysterious wall.

And it was big enough for me to fit through.

Tempted, I hesitated for a moment. Again, I made sure no one was looking. Then biting my lip, I stepped forward and into the waterfall.

Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:15 pm
Honora wrote a review...

Hey Cecy! Here for more! ;)

“Of course.” Father nodded and leaved me to wrestle with deep emotions that broiled within my soul, though my memories still remained tethered.
Minor mistake but it should be left instead of "leaved" ;)

Other than that, I really didn't see anything! I really enjoyed it! Now I am at the part where I haven't read before at all and it's exciting to anticipate what comes next again. At the same time I'm just like uggghhhhh! I want to know now!
I really like how she has so many answers in her own mind but has absolutely no access to them. I mean, she would have known about this mountain and she would have known something about that book I'm sure but she doesn't! It's super intriguing and super frustrating at the same. XD

Love how it's coming along! :D

Your friend,
Honora <3

shieldmaiden says...

Thanks

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:47 pm
Horisun wrote a review...

Alrighty, this was a really great chapter! I loved that Kkachi and her Mother had a special place, and it was nice to see how much the Emperor loved her! The description of the cave is nice, and I'm curious to see what happens next! Is it a portal? Perhaps. Is it a secret entrance? Maybe. Is it something else? Could be.
The one question I have, and maybe it was explained, and I just missed, it, but how do the flowers grow in there again, without any sunlight?
Other than that, this is a really great chapter, probably one of my favorites! Hope you have a good day!

shieldmaiden says...

Where the sunlight shines through the hole in the roof, that's where the flowers grow!

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:12 pm

Hello, Your friend Flames is here to do yet another review on this wonderful evening, and as always to help get your work out the green room.

I still can't believe you have written 22 chapters, that is a lot. I have a feeling this story is coming to a close unless there is going to be a book two. I don't know. I'll just have to wait and see. XD Which in some ways is the best thing, but in other ways it's the worst, I just want to know what happens at the end.

Anyway onto the review, so out of the whole chapter I only saw one thing that needed to be fixed, it was very small and it's easily fixed.

As you know the word in bold are what I would like to talk about. As I'm sure you already know is that the 'a' needs to be changed into a 'the' so it all will go together. It was just a little typo, something I do all the time when I'm writing.

Anyway I though this chapter was written really well, and I enjoyed every second I read it, it was so enjoyable, and it gave me goose bumps. There are so many questions I have now that need to be answered, I mean was there another cave behind the waterfall, and what is the magic word to get into the garden, I wonder if it's her name? *shrugs* I'll have to wait and see.
I'm also just digging the description you have used in this chapter, I was embraced with colors and images, it was just wonderful!
I like it that Kkachi and her Father are having a Father and Daughter bonding. I thought it was really sweet, and I can't wait to see what those two will do together next.

Any hoo that's the end of the review. I hope I will get to read the next chapter soon, though take your time writing it, there is know point in rushing. So I hope you have and amazing day or night, ether one is fine.

Your friend and faithful reader
FlamingPhoenix.
Reviewing with a fiery passion!

shieldmaiden says...

Thanks so much Flames!!! We aren't approaching the ending as yet. There are too many things to be revealed. But I believe we are coming closer to the climax though. Please bear with me patiently. :)

Oh that's good to know. I'm just loving your book, apart of me and to jump ahead and see what happens, while the other part of me doesn't want it to end! XD

shieldmaiden says...

AWWW!

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:27 am
Gnomish wrote a review...

Yay! Another chapter!

I like this chapter, although I'm a bit confused about one thing. Why was this mysterious book so important? And why can no one know about it. After all, it was in the library before she took it out. Other than that, I really liked the plot of this chapter, especially the secret waterfall.

Can't wait for the next chapter!
-Gnomish

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
— Groucho Marx