12+

Emperor's Heir - Chapter 21

by shieldmaiden

General Dal was waiting for me in the hall. His back was facing the door as I walked in. At the sound of my step, the old veteran grew very still. But he didn’t turn around.

Your Highness,” he said, in an almost accusing tone, “Do I have the pleasure?”

Sir?”

He turned and bowed stiffly. “I wasn’t aware that I had taken the ‘Lost Princess’ in as my pupil.”

I hung my head. My mouth opened for an excuse, but none came. “I’m sorry,” I whispered.

You deceived me,” General Dal stated, “A trust as been broken. And it’s with trust that a foundation is built between a pupil and his master. “

I nodded mutely, tears springing to my eyes.

Nevertheless, I shall give you a chance to redeem yourself.”

I looked up sharply. “How? When?” I asked eagerly.

Here.” The general tossed aside his draping coat, revealing two swords. One he threw at me. I caught it quickly with one hand before the scabbard fell to the ground. “Right now.”

My mind had barely made the connection when the general attacked.

My arm flew up and deflected the blow with the sword’s scabbard. Shuffling my feet backwards, I quickly unsheathed the sword before the general attacked my right flank. Again, I barely managed to block it. In the event the generals arm flew into a vase, knocking the delicate vessel to the ground where it smashed to a thousand pieces. I gasped.

I’ll pay for the damage!” General Dal barked before taking advantage of my distraction. A sharp pain throbbed at my ribs. My hand flew to my side. My fingertips came back covered in blood.

You nicked me!” I cried at the old veteran.

Then keep your guard up.”

Perhaps it was the blood. Or the nonchalant answer from the unconcerned general. Whatever the reason, I was filled with hot-blooded rage. Grasping the hilt of the sword firmly, I charged, taking my turn to attack.

I was blocked easily, the blade of the sword digging through the tapestry behind the general. Ignoring the damage, I tugged the sword out of the wall in time to defend myself against the veteran’s oncoming assault.

Throughout the entire house, tearing into rooms and causing havoc wherever our swords met, we sparred and fought steadily. At first, I was sure that General Dal was holding back on me and viewing this as a valuable lesson to teach his pupil on probation. However, his heavy breathing and near misses to block my attacks seemed to become more of a challenge to him as the sparring continued.

You’ve had another teacher,” the general muttered as I parried his thrust, causing a picture to fall off the wall and smash to the floor.

None other than you and my grandfather,” I heaved back.

Someone has been teaching you since last I saw you,” he re-stated stubbornly.

I simply shook my head as I tried to maneuver the veteran out the door. As our swords danced out onto the porch, Iyagi and Usan came running from around a corner of the house. As soon as they saw us, Usan started forward angrily, ready to come to my aid. Iyagi immediately grabbed the boy’s shoulders and pulled him back.

A darkness entered the general’s eyes and his movements began to grow desperate. We crashed down the steps and into the garden, where we fought our way ever closer towards the pond. When I deflected the veteran’s aim to my throat, something struck me about the man’s attacks. They felt real.

Another attack came. I went to deflect it as before. But the general had been faking. I watched as his blade came swiftly towards my heart. All thought left my mind. In an act of desperation, the sword in my hand slashed through the air in an arc. Not a circular arc. But a triangular one. Very similar to the one I’d made in the Hall when faced with that Incarcerate.

Immediately, general’s face grew pale and he stepped back. The darkness faded from his eyes.

Where did you learn that?” he breathed.

I shrugged, but kept hold of my sword. “I’m not sure. Why?”

I’ve seen that move before.”

I opened my mouth to ask for more, but Iyagi and Usan ran up to us. General Dal sheathed his sword. Such action made me give him back mine.

What happened?!” Usan cried, wrapping his arms around me and squeezing my waist so hard that I found it hard to breathe.

Nothing to worry about, Usan,” I croaked, giving him a hug back before gently pulling his arms away. “General Dal here, was just giving me a lesson. But I’m not sure I passed.” I raised a brow in the veteran’s direction.

And your mistress passed,” the old man replied gruffly. He turned to me. “Training resumes tomorrow morning.”

Where?” I asked.

We meet at the Palace gate and shall continue our sessions in the forest,” he ordered, before remembering my status, “Does that suit, Your Highness?”

Of course,” I replied graciously.

Until tomorrow then.” The general bowed, again somewhat stiffly but more amicably, before marching out of the garden.

What was that all about?” Iyagi asked.

I rubbed my forehead anxiously. “I don’t know.”

* * * * *

After a few weeks in our new home, we adjusted to a comfortable routine. The prince, Usan, and I took our meals together regularly every noon and night with Nalda. Often Iyagi or I would play a game with Usan in the garden. At times we’d take a walk around the Palace, just the three of us.

And I had my lessons with General Dal.

Though the general was gruff, I assumed that I would learn a lot under his tutelage. However, his training, though specific, was strictly rudimentary. At times, I felt as if the veteran didn’t want to see me advance in the skills and mystery of martial arts. And his keen eyes were always watchful.

He never sparred with me again.

One day, as I was walking back home, I decided to take a different route for a change and happened to come across the Palace Library. Its doorway hung wide open like a giant mouth, inviting and yet, somewhat foreboding. Nevertheless, a strong feeling throbbed in the pit of my stomach and I eagerly stepped inside.

A chill immediately enveloped my senses, as shelves of old books, with their crusty, yellow old pages and stale, mouldy smells, called out to me in whispers. Thick, tallow wax candles strained their flaming wicks to burn brightly. Yet, their little rays of light could not reach the farthest dark corners nor the deepest shelves of the room. Stroking the ancient texts with the tips of my fingers, I walked slowly and aimlessly, occasionally picking up a book before putting it back down.

Bang!

Jumping high in the air, I turned around sharply, sword in hand. There was nobody there. Nothing but an old book lying on the boarded floor. I sheathed the sword with a low chuckle and bent down to pick up the bounded volume. I was about to replace in back in its empty spot when I caught sight of the title.

The Memoirs of Forsythia,

Daughter of Chieftain Kacheinagh

That was my name; what was a book doing with my name? Curious, I started to open the book to take a look inside. But then a step sounded just outside the doorway.

Who’s there!”

I quickly hid the volume behind my back. A tall, uniformed guard appeared with a heavy spear poised. The weapon was lowered immediately as soon as the guard made me out in the dim light.

Oh, Your Highness!” he exclaimed, “I apologize. I did not recognize you.”

It’s quite alright,” I replied, “I’m sorry for startling you, but I couldn’t help looking over this collection.”

Yes,” The guard agreed heartily, “The most important documents and histories are kept here. I am the librarian; can I be of any assistance?”

Was that why you are carrying that spear?” I asked.

The man carefully laid the spear against a wall. “No, no,” he said with a nervous laugh, “They are merely décor. At times I get a little carried away with my position.”

I nodded. “Well, actually perhaps you can help me,” I said, showing him the book. “Do you know who wrote this?”

Ah!” The librarian didn’t even need a good look to recognize it. “The author of those memoirs would be the late queen’s mother.”

My grandmother?”

Yes. You were named after her, at least that’s what everyone said. But nobody except for the immediate royal family can read it.”

Why’s that?”

The librarian leaned forward and whispered, “I believe it’s very personal.”

Oh.” I caressed the cover gently. “May I read it?”

Of course, Your Highness.” The librarian bowed.

Thank you,” I said, holding the book close to my chest.

If I can be of any more service . . .?”

I shook my head. “No, this is all I want. But I hope to see you soon.”

It would be a pleasure, Your Highness.” The librarian bowed again.

I gave him a happy nod before rushing home quickly. Entering our garden, I dashed across the bridge, up the porch steps and into the house, giving Nalda a quick greeting before closing my bedroom door behind me.

Sitting in the middle of my bed, I eagerly unwrapped the cord that was strung around the covers, binding them together. Putting the cord on the pillow beside me, I carefully pulled back the pages eagerly.

They were all blank.

Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:51 am
Honora wrote a review...

Bonjour! Ready for more? ;) I'm just laughing t how many reviews you're gonna have to go through when you finally log in again! :-P

General Dal was waiting for me in the hall.
I know that in the last chapter we know that they are at her new house but maybe restate it just to let people know for sure. It's a new chapter which means new details!

“Someone has been teaching you since last I saw you,” he re-stated stubbornly.
Oh oh oh! Is this when she came back with that sword with no memory about it! Cuz that would be awesome!

The darkness faded from his eyes.
AHHH! Why are you making those weird shadow things be able to possess people!!?? This might not even be what you're getting at but that's what I'm thinking!

Ok so the last part with the library all seemed very rushed. Take the time to go through each step. How did it smell? Why was she there? Wouldn't she feel a bit uncomfortable being in there considering there are all the shadows? Details please! :)

Other than that, it was awesome as usual! I'm pretty intrigued about this book! I mean, they're all blank and yet no one but royalty can read it but it's all blank! Is there some magic she needs to be able to read it!? Some test she has to pass to prove her loyalty or trust worthyness!? Or maybe, as Horisun pointed out, she has to write it herself!

Ugggghhhhh...I hate you! So many questions and theories and loves and just ughh. ;)

Anyway, that's all I have for you! :D :D :D

As always, keep writing!

Your friend,
Honora <3

shieldmaiden says...

With the library, Kkachi isn't too worried because she loves books. I should have emphasized that. Great thing to point out. Thanks!!!

Honora says...

:D

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:36 pm
Horisun says...

Ah ha! SHE must write in it! She must forge her own story! It is part of the librarians masterplan!
MWA HAHAHAHA!
Alright, General Dal is EVIL! (I don't know what it is, but I don't trust ANYONE in this story. I don't even trust Usan anymore! (Just kidding, I trust Usan with all my heart, he is the purest character I have ever met, and you have him spot on!)) Though, in all seriousness, he seems like a teacher that I'd absolutely despise in real life! I absolutely hate it when teachers don't teach you anything!
Though, I have another theory! (Don't panic, it's not as crazy as the last one. ;)) I think that at that time when Kkachi's mind was taken, someone somehow trained her, possibly.
Two things that I want to say real quick, "Bang!" Was a bit out of place, and, "Who is there!" Should have a question mark.
Also, I like the librarian dude!

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:36 pm
Horisun wrote a review...

MWA HAHAHAHA!
Also, I like the librarian dude!

shieldmaiden says...

Love your reaction! And thanks for the tips about grammar and the sound effect! Truly appreciate it! :)

Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:57 pm
Awru wrote a review...

Danggg!That General is Gruff.The fight between kkachi and general Dal was absolutely spot on.I loved this action packed chapter.OMG!!Other teacher kkachis mother as a good spirit has been teaching her but now you introduced her grandma so she might be the one.Darkness entering the generals eyes.This part wakened my senses.That general can't be trusted either.Why do i get a feeling Leomong is present as a spirit of some kind travelling from one mind to another.I can't wait to know what is going to happen next.Just a few requests along the way I WANNA MEET IYAGIS FAMILY LIKE YASS!!Iyagi got married but his family is nowhere to be seen despite you mentioning a certain younger brother.IYAGI AND NAKAI ARE AWESOME OKKK!You said nakai might be jealous of iyagi absolutely unacceptable,unfathomable what does that guy need he is living a super luxurios life,hes got style,he canget any unsuspecting girl keen on him.I don't think it will make any sense if he got jealous(like Ron from Harry)of iyagi but its your story and your doing a pretty good job of it so yeah.Also i think you are underestimating iyagi and nakais friendship.We want some funny and light hearted besties moments between those two.

I don't think the pages are blank either erased or torn.There is someone who does not want kkachi to remember her past.Hmm!i wonder!!
Hope the next chap is out SOON
Keep up the Excellentò Work :smt023

Peace Out

shieldmaiden says...

Thanks for mentioning Iyagi's family. Nearly forgot all about them. U are a fantastic help!

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:53 pm

Hello, It's me again with yet again another review on this wonderful book of yours, and like always to help get this out the green room.

Okay let's start with the review shall we.
I've been waiting for this chapter for a while now, and the wait was all worth it. I'll tell you that. Everything about this chapter was amazing, and I'll tell you way.

You had my skin crawling when Kkachi went to go see General Dal, it was just to scary, I didn't now if he was going to keep training her, I mean from the very beginning he didn't seem to like her, though that could just be his personalty. But she has been lying to him, and now he knows she's a PRINCESS!!!!!! I was so worried.

I began to feel a little better when General Dal said he will keep training her, I thought that maybe everything would be okay, but boy was I wrong, when he said he wanted them to train right there and then I got a little worried again, why? Well let's just say the General didn't seem to be in the best of moods.

AAAHHH Kkachi watch out!! Few she missed the attack! That was such a close one. Now I'm not sure what General Dal is trying to do, is he trying to kill her because his mad, or because his being controlled or is he trying to teach her something. I have know idea, all I know is that Kkachi must stay away from him.

Well so long General Dal I don't think Kkachi will be seeing you anytime soon, being that you almost killed her!!

Ooo knew book, I wonder what it could be about? It sounds interesting. What there's nothing there!! NO! Shield you can't do this to me!! I must know!!! Guh, maybe I'll find out more in the next chapter.

Anyway as you can tell by all the yelling in the review this chapter was quite the hook and I loved reading it. It was quite the rush if I must say so myself, I loved the description you have put into here, it just made it come to life. I hope the next chapter comes out soon, I wish you luck! Have a great day or night ether one.

Your friend and faithful reader
FlamignPhoenix.
Reviewing with a fiery passion!!

shieldmaiden says...

Thanks Phoenix! I hope to have the next chapter out before the week is through. Thanks for all the encouragement!!! Really keeps me going. U the Best!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.