12+

Emperor's Heir - Chapter 13

by shieldmaiden

The next morning, I woke to discover Usan tugging me by the arm.

Good,” he sighed in relief, dropping my arm, “I thought you’d never wake up.” He jumped up onto the bed to sit beside me. “How was it?” He asked eagerly.

How was what?” I rubbed my eyes and sat up with a yawn.

The banquet. What happened?”

I heard that she made quite an impression.” Nalda came into the room with the breakfast tray. She grinned pointedly at me with brows raised.

She did?” - “I did?” Usan and I asked together.

Hmm, the servants were all abuzz this morning and talked of nothing else,” she said, “Apparently, our Princess Pulsa was outshone by a ‘street waif’. And I’ve just heard that Her Highness is not feeling well this morning and will remain in her quarters for the rest of the day.” She paused to scoff. “Injured pride, I say.”

Usan looked at me with admiration. “What did you do?”

Nothing,” I objected, raising my hands defensively, “I certainly didn’t mean to upset the Princess.” My brow furrowed with concern. “Is she very angry?” I asked timidly.

Pshaw!” Nalda huffed, “Do not worry, child. The Princess’ pride has only taken a little plunge. She has held the limelight for so long that Her Highness is not used to competition.” She turned to Usan and explained, “Last night, Kkachi performed the amazing Sword Dance – blindfolded! And with a naked blade! Such a complicated dance would have impressed anyone.” Nalda looked at me, her pale eyes gazing bright with wonder. “Tell me, child,” she asked, “How did you come to learn the hardest dance known to geishas?”

I didn’t know that it was the Sword Dance,” I tried to explain, “I only made it up by mixing together martial stances and swordfight positions that Grandpa had taught me because I didn’t know what else to do. I don’t know how to dance.”

Yes, child – you do,” Nalda stated.

You know how to fight?” Usan interjected eagerly, “Can you teach me?”

I smiled down at him, reminded of the time when I also wished to wield a blade as a young girl. “Of course,” I replied, “when you are well and strong enough.”

But, I’m all better,” Usan declared, jumping off the bed and started running about the room to prove it.

Settle down, child,” Nalda cried anxiously after him as Usan dashed past her. Her command went unheeded as the boy continued to run laps about the room, glancing at me every time he passed the bed. His energy was so infectious, that I had to laugh. Nalda scowled at me before she reached out and caught Usan by the collar of his shirt, yanking him to her side.

Both of you will have some breakfast before continuing these antics – outside,” she emphasized.

Usan and I nodded solemnly, before hurrying about our morning routine. Getting dressed, I chose the plainest clothes that hung in the wardrobe. Sadly, even the simplest dress was still covered in lovely embroidery made with the tiniest, delicate of stitches. I sighed, knowing that by the end of the day the poor garment would be stained and torn. Not for the last time did I wish for my old clothes. Unfortunately, they had been burned long ago.

We went outside immediately after finishing our meal. As Usan and I stepped out onto the sandy ground of the courtyard, I was hit with a sudden realization. First, we had no weapons to train with and secondly, there were too many people passing by. We would soon have an audience and I didn’t like the idea of strangers eyeing us with their noses turned up in reproof. I looked down at the boy walking by my side. He hadn’t even noticed the courtiers.

Is this a good place to start?” Usan asked, jumping in front of me.

Not exactly,” I answered, looking about, “There’s too many people.”

Usan glanced around. “Not a lot?”

True.” But still, I hesitated. Then, Usan’s face fell. He backed away slowly with his head held down and his eyes shaded.

You don’t have to be seen with me,” he murmured. Seeing me flash him a puzzled look, he explained, “To give lessons to a servant boy – that must be looked down by a lot of people.”

What … no,” I stammered. Bending my knee, I knelt before Usan and took him by the arms to face me. “I’m sorry,” I apologized, “I’m just worried because I’m pretty sure that fighting isn’t a very princess’y thing to do.” I smirked. “Besides, we are likely to get very dirty.”

Usan grinned and looked down at the sand. “I’ll be dustier than you.”

Promise?” I asked with a smile.

He nodded solemnly.

Then let’s begin.” I rose and took a step back.

For the next hour we practiced, I instructing Usan on basic techniques – how to perform correct stances for fighting, how to block certain strikes and the best times to strike your opponent. The young boy was very eager and caught on fast. I was caught by surprise at how quickly he was able to put his lessons into practice. Soon, he had learned enough to begin sparring.

I had a lot of fun jabbing at the child playfully, when suddenly he cheated.

Woah!” I cried, falling face first onto the ground. Coughing, I rolled onto my back. “You tripped me,” I exclaimed, spitting sand out of my mouth.

You were open,” Usan stated smugly, before asking with concern, “Are you alright?”

His foot appeared out of the corner of my eye and I lunged for it. Before he knew what had happened, the boy was on the ground with me kneeling over him. My fingers nimbly began attacking his sides.

Stop … stop!” Usan begged for mercy between fits of giggles.

Not till you concede,” I chuckled back.

Miss?”

I froze. Slowly, I looked up from my position where I crouched over Usan. Standing before us was a tall, weathered man dressed in armor and frowning severely down on us. With haste, I let Usan up and we both stood.

Sir?” I asked, when the soldier did not say a word, but continued to analyze me with a fierce stare.

I’ve been watching you practice,” the man stated simply, “You possess some skill, young lady. What is your name?”

Puzzled that the man did not know who I was, I asked, “Who are you, Sir? Were you not present at the banquet yesterday?”

General Dal,” answered the soldier, though he scowled darkly at my presumption, “I was out on personal business.”

I swallowed. Standing before me was a living legend. My Grandpa had told me stories of a General whose renowned bravery and battle strategy had won the “Battle of Raging Sea”, fought on the cliffs of Baesinja. A terrible storm had fallen that fateful night, and with heavy rain blowing and mighty waves crashing against the rocky walls, much blood was spilt in trying to overcome the great numbers of the enemy. Fear had permeated the ranks of many a brave soldier. General Dal alone had stood proud and strong beside the Emperor, refusing to surrender. His courage had saved the day.

That had been when His Majesty was but a prince. Before then, in his youth, the General had conquered most of the territories of Geodaehan singlehandedly. I was standing before a hero.

Hastily, I bowed. “A pleasure, Sir,” I croaked out raspily.

Your name?” The General asked impatiently.

My brain fogged and I blurted out, “Kkachi, Sir.”

Hmm, ‘Bringer of Good Fortune’”, he murmured, “that will be proven with time. Who is your teacher?”

My Grandfather is – was,” I corrected, before straightening my shoulders and adding with some pride, “He is a retired soldier of the imperial army.”

Really? What rank?” The General asked, interest laced in his voice.

He reached third rank after serving six years. He had just been promoted to second when the Emperor assigned him a personal mission.” I stopped before revealing that the mission was to hide and raise a motherless child.

Impressive,” the General admitted, “It usually takes ten years for any skilled soldier to move up to the next level. Unless he has powerful connections.” He eyed me suspiciously. “Did your Grandfather start at the bottom?”

Yes Sir,” I replied with some force, “He entered the fifth rank right out of military school.”

What’s his name?”

Bong-Chol.”

Memory lighted up the General’s eyes. “Ah yes, I remember,” he said, “An excellent pupil. So, you are his grand-child? I don’t recall him having any children.”

I nodded slowly. “He adopted me as his own when I was very young.”

Well Kkachi – I’m prepared to take you on as my private pupil.”

Me?” I squeaked.

Yes, though I don’t usually teach girls. But you show some promise. And your style is familiar – similar to another I once knew …” For a moment, the General’s eyes clouded over. Then, with a heavy sigh, he asked shortly, “Do you accept?”

Yes Sir!” I cried quickly, straightening my shoulders.

Good. We begin tomorrow. Meet me at the palace gate.”

Yes Sir.”

With that, I watched as the General walked away till he disappeared ‘round a corner. As soon as he was out of sight, I felt a tug on my arm. Usan was pulling my sleeve.

Why didn’t you tell him that you were the Princess?” he asked.

I don’t know,” I admitted, “For a moment I forgot, then I guess I didn’t think that it was important. When he offered to take me as a student, I was afraid he would change his mind.”

Oh,” Usan nodded understandingly, “Are you going to tell him?”

I suppose I must,” I sighed as I rubbed my face. Between my fingers, I glanced down at the small boy by my side. “Do you think I should tell the Emperor?”

Usan gave a small shrug of his shoulders.

Guess I should,” I groaned to myself.

You don’t want to?” Usan raised his face to me, with a puzzled frown.

Perhaps I could wait … just to see how the training goes? Besides,” I continued, “General Dal might kick me out of his sight once he realizes I’m a princess.”

Yes. But he might continue the training if you had the Emperor’s approval,” reasoned the boy.

I glanced up at the sky. The sun had already set and twilight hovered in the air. Stars were blinking in the heavens, the bright ones twinkling and winking at the world below.

We should go in,” I said, “It’s late.”

Usan looked about, surprised. “It’s dark already?” he asked.

I laughed. “The day has gone by and been spent,” I replied.

Already?”

I smiled. “So, you had fun?” I asked.

Usan nodded eagerly. “Can we do this again?”

Of course,” I said, ruffling his hair and making him smile before he pushed my hand away. “You are a good student and show a lot of promise.”

With that, we made out way back to our chambers for a good meal … and a hot bath.

Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:13 pm
Horisun wrote a review...

I love Usan! He's so adorable! He is my favorite character so far! The one thing I do wanna say, and maybe it's just in his character to hide grief, or maybe he's distracted, or maybe because he is so young, but I wish that he showed more sadness over the loss of his Mother? Even if Kkachi just heard him sniffling at night, and her comforting him, that would truly flesh him out, I feel!
Other than that, great chapter! I can't wait to read the next one! Have an awesome day!

shieldmaiden says...

Great point! That would allow a lot of depth to his character. I think that his mom has been dead for a while now and he already has moved past the grieving stage, which is why I didn't address it as much. And he is starting to view Kkachi as his mother figure now. However, I really like your point and think that I will put that in when I edit it. It would truly flesh out his character some more. Thanks!

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:11 pm
Honora wrote a review...

I told you I’d be back soon! I’m just going to review only your stuff until I get it finished. I’ve been slacking! ;)

This review will be shorter than the last one but I hope it still helps. In all honesty, it’s shorter because I didn’t find as much to “nitpick” in this chapter than the last.

‘Usan glanced around. “Not a lot?”’
Here, it sounds funny with a question mark…maybe? It’s up to you.
Also, right after this sentence, you jump right into their training. Is there people watching? Did they move to a more private area? Maybe elaborate on that because if there were people around, they would be watching in disdain. That’s what I get from it anyways.

‘For the next hour we practiced, I instructing Usan on basic techniques-‘
Here you change tenses. ‘I instructing’ contradicts ‘practiced’.
Example: ‘For the next hour we practiced, I, instructing Usan on basic techniques’
Or, ‘For the next hour we practiced, of which I instructed Usan on basic techniques.’

‘ “Sir?” I asked, when the soldier did not say a word, but continued to analyze me with a fierce stare.’
This sentence is good because it emphasizes on her discomfort but it the punctuation was just a bit off.
Example: ‘ “Sir?” I asked as the soldier continued to analyze me with an unsettling fierce stare.’
Or, ‘ “Sir?” I asked when the soldier did not say a word, but continued to analyze me with a fierce stare.’
That one, all I did was took the comma out after ‘I asked’. It’s all up to you though because you’re the writer of this incredible book! :)

‘With that, we made out way back to our chambers for a good meal’
Just a spelling mistake :) ‘out’ should be our.

And that concludes my nitpickyness! Now…onto the FUN part!

I love your book. It’s all I can say without repeating myself for the thirteenth time. Honestly, Cecy, you’ve got a talent for writing and I’m really happy you continue to write. I hope in the (near) future, we can publish our books together and know that it was worth it. All those times when we cackle evilly as we think up another plot twist or cringe as we write about sewing up a wound…it was all worth it and an amazing time! Or (the best times) when I watch you read my book and get to see all your emotions upfront! It’s amazing!
I really must give you a HUGE thank you because this past winter, you are the one that got me excited about my writing again. Thank you for kicking my butt back into gear and giving me the encouragement/criticism when it was needed! ;) You’re the best!

Your friend,
Honora

shieldmaiden says...

Hey Honora! Thanks for reviewing this and a big thank you for pointing out how I never addressed where they actually were fighting. I totally forgot that as I got into Kkachi's head and how she no longer cared. However, it does feel like a hole and I never would have picked up on that. Thanks for all the other grammatical tips. The way I phrased certain things certainly is awkward occasionally and I'm only grateful that I have such great friends to point them out so that I can fix them. I agree totally that we will look back at this time in our lives as soooo worth it ... even after all that cringing as we make our characters suffer (in my opinion I don't make my characters suffer half as much as yours do - perhaps that's why your characters are usually better than mine :) ) Can't wait to see your work!!!

Honora says...

You%u2019re welcome! :D

Tue May 28, 2019 5:48 am

Hello, it's me FlamingPhoenix here with another review for you on this yet another lovely day, and like always to help get your work out the green room.

Okay, so I did see one mistake, but it's a very small mistake, and anyone can read over it, even I would have if I wasn't looking for things to help you with.

As you know from my other reviews the word in bold is what I want to talk about. I think you meant to say our instead of out.

Well that's all I could see.
I must say it was nice to see Kkachi go back to her old self for a little while, the girl that is so free spirited. And it was nice to see her being a teacher. It kind of shows the reader what she will be like if she was a mother.

I'm really starting to like Usan quit a bit now. I'm starting to know his personality, and deep down his just a boy who wants to be loved. And that's just what Kkachi is doing, so it's bringing out the cheeky boy in him, so I can't wait to see what will happen next with him.

I'm also really looking forward to the training with Kkachi and General Dal. They could become the best of friends, and he tells her about what her Grandfather was like back in the day, or Kkachi tells her father and she can't train with General Dal. There is so many things that can happen.

Well I do hope I will get to read and review the next chapter soon, because I just loved this one, it's okay that it's shorter than the rest, as long as your putting what you need into the chapter. Never stop writing and have a great day or night.

Your friend and faithful reader
FlamingPhoenix.
Reviewing with a fiery passion.

shieldmaiden says...

Thanks as always, Phoenix. I love you thought provoking predictions. They make me more aware of what I should address in the future, or what to take out as unnecessary. Such a wonderful help! :)

I'm glad I could help you out in some way. And I always like to assume what will happen next. But I'm normally not right! XD

"Now I realize that there is no righteous path, it’s just people trying to do their best in a world where it is far too easy to do your worst."
— Castiel