z

Young Writers Society


12+

Emperor's Heir - Chapter 17

by shieldmaiden


Chapter 17

Nalda told me that I must visit the Emperor immediately.

At this time of day?” I asked, gazing at the sky as the sun streaked the dawn red. “It’s so early.”

His Majesty is up and waiting for you,” Nalda replied firmly. Her mouth was pursed together in worry and her hands twitched nervously, wrinkling the front of her starched apron.

Without another word, I turned about and made ready to march towards the Palace, when a nagging sensation tugged at the corner of my mind. Sliding the door past Nalda, I walked into my room and grabbed the mysterious sword from its perch against my bed, where I first laid it after it had appeared. My hands tingled the moment they touched the wood of the scabbard.

Attaching the belt firmly around my waist, the sword dangled conspicuously among the folds of my party dress. Feeling armed and ready, I dashed out and away from my quarters and towards the Palace Hall.

Why did Father need to see me so urgently? Was he ill? My steps quickened till I was running towards the building. When I reached the Hall, I leaped over the stairs and, grasping one of the doors’ handles and pulling with all my strength, barged into the room without waiting to be announced.

My feet pattered loudly across the marble floor as I dashed into the enveloping darkness of the empty Hall towards the foot of the throne where sat the Emperor.

Father!” I gasped as I stood panting at the bottom of the stairs. “Are you well?”

The Emperor smiled and relief flooded over me. “Peace, my daughter,” he spoke tenderly, “I am quite well. But I’ve received some rather … disturbing news. Come, sit up here beside me.”

I walked up the stairs and took the chair offered that stood to the right of my Father. The same chair where I had sat only a few nights ago.

What news, Father?” I began, but stopped when the Emperor took a hold of one of my hands gravely.

It’s about you, My daughter.”

Me?”

Word has reached my ears that you have been seen …” Father’s grip on my hand grew tighter, “That you have bound yourself to Prince Iyagi’s personal guard – intimately.

My mouth opened in silent shock as I gaped into the Emperor’s disappointed face. “What? No Father! I would never …” I protested, shaking my head vigorously and now grasping his hand tightly. “Please believe me!”

I believe that the situation was misunderstood,” Father reassured me, cupping my cheek softly and carefully stroking the spot where my scar cut into the skin. “Tell me what really happened.”

Quickly, I explained to him the events of last night, how sick Nakai was, how I tended him the entire night, and how the maid stumbled upon us as I was feeding him. I omitted the part of how we accidentally locked lips.

Yes, Pulsa told me that Prince Iyagi had expressed concern about his guard’s health. She had sent her maid over to deliver some herbs that were recommended by Lady Moon-sol,” Father said, “I’m glad that the guard’s life was saved. He sounded as if he would have been in serious danger of losing it if it had not been for you.”

Thank you, Father.” I bowed my head.

Perhaps I should not have sent for him.”

My eyes widened and I opened my mouth to declare that the guard was not in fit shape to even leave his bed when, at that moment, the Hall doors opened and a tall figure stumbled through. There stood Nakai – upright with shoulders back, walking purposefully as if he had just come from training. But his jaw was clenched in pain and his face was deathly pale.

Before Nakai had even reached the bottom of the stairs, the Emperor called out to him. “I apologize for sending you, Nakai,” He said, “Kkachi has just told me that you have been ill.”

The guard glanced at me before bowing deeply. “I’m fully recovered, Your Majesty – thanks to the tender care of your daughter.”

Nevertheless, you must be tired. Kkachi, help him to sit.”

Gladly, I ran down the steps, past Nakai to grab a chair that sat in a dark corner between two marble columns. Just as my fingers grasped at the chair’s ebony arm, the shadows shifted and I began to hear the whispers of dark, hollow voices.

Raising my eyes slowly, I looked down the dark Hall and watched in horror as a wispy black hand floated up through the cracks in the stone floor. In a haze of black smoke, the thing arched its warped, twisted fingers, clawing at the air like a snake before sliding across the floor towards me. For a moment, I stood still – transfixed and terrified as I watched the shadow slither closer and closer.

Rip! The sound of my dress tearing as the hand groped at the hem of my gown broke me out of my stupor. Instantly, I threw my arm out to my side and tore the sword out of its scabbard. In the dark the sheath of the blade seemed to glow, almost pulsating a pale, pure flickering light against the shadows. The Incarcerate immediately let go of my dress and shrank back in fear.

Slashing my sword out in a swooping triangular pattern, a strange word slipped off of my tongue, one that I had never heard before.

Aeopa!” Depart

A blinding light shattered from the sword’s blade, casting an intense effervescent glow across the entire Hall in a giant moving circle. The Incarcerateshrieked in agony as the light moved across its body causing the smoke to burst like a balloon into a soot of ash. Other screams could be heard in the distance as the light traveled to the deepest, darkest corners of the room.

Then there was silence.

Sheathing the sword, I picked up the chair and carried it over to where Nakai and the Emperor now stood. “Here you are,” I said, pushing it towards the guard, “Sit.”

Why - How did you do that?” The guard’s eyes were wide with surprise and awe.

What? Just now … did you see them too?” I asked.

See who?”

Those – those things!”

Nakai shook his head slowly in confusion. “All I saw was a light coming out of that sword.” He pointed at the scabbard attached to my hip.

Where did you get it?” Father asked me in a hushed, almost reverent tone.

I fingered the sword’s hilt. “I don’t know,” I murmured, “It simply appeared in my room one night. Why?”

Your mother had one just like it.” The Emperor grabbed my shoulder. “Can you see them?” He asked.

The Incarcerates?”

Father nodded.

Yes, I can.” I hung my head. “But can’t anyone?”

No.” The Emperor shook his head. “Only a select few.” His voice was guarded, but he sounded almost proud.

Can you see them?”

No.”

Could … could my mother?”

The Emperor smiled sadly. “Yes.”

Just then, Nakai started to lean heavily to one side and would have tipped over in a dead faint if I had not caught him. Carefully, I helped him to sit in the chair as Father grabbed a glass of wine for him to drink. The guard easily drank the spiced liquid down in one swallow.

Perhaps we ought to carry out this meeting some other time,” The Emperor suggested.

No, if it please Your Majesty,” Nakai asked faintly, “I’d like to know why I am here?”

Very well.” The Emperor drew back. “Are you, Nakai, aware that your name and my daughter’s have been linked together romantically?”

What! No … I would never!” Nakai would have leaped out of the chair in shock and distress if I hadn’t kept a firm hold of his shoulder.

Then, through no fault of your own, as Kkachi has made it clear to me, nevertheless my daughter’s reputation is at stake – perhaps ruined.” The Emperor paused to let the severity of the situation sink in. “Are you willing to help make amends and repair the damage done, no matter the cost?”

Yes, Your Majesty, by whatever means.” The guard bent his head. “I am her and your loyal servant.”

Good.” The Emperor then turned to me. “My daughter, it is my wish that you preserve your reputation. Little though this matter may seem to you, it is of great importance since you are of my blood.”

Yes, Father.”

By any means I deem necessary?”

Yes, Father.” I looked up into his kind, loving eyes. “You saved me once, though I was but a child. Whatever you judge best - that I will do.”

The Emperor lifted my chin. “Your mother would be proud.”

I stood a little taller. “What do you wish, Father?”

The Emperor turned and walked back up the stairs to his throne. Sitting, he then looked down upon the two of us. “Take each other’s hand,” He commanded.

We did so, confused. Nakai’s palm was warm and comforting. It felt good to be holding his hand again since last night. I glanced over to catch a glimpse of the guard’s face. Nakai continued to stare straight ahead with much intent and purpose. I turned again to face the Emperor. Surprisingly, Father looked a little stricken at the sight of us together. But pleased also. Then, the Emperor raised his voice and addressed us as our ruler.

By the power invested in me as your Emperor, I hereby decree that you, Nakai, and you, Princess Forsythia, shall pledge yourselves to one another tomorrow at dawn.”

Nakai nodded his head. But I remained confused.

I don’t understand?” I asked.

You are going to be married.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
461 Reviews


Points: 7451
Reviews: 461

Donate
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:31 pm
View Likes
Horisun says...



Yep... Yep... I was wrong, absolutely, positively wrong. Ah well, this is much more interesting anyway!
I really like this chapter. And well I had an idea on what the meeting was going to be about, I certainly did not expect them to be married, like, what? Plot twist!
One thing I thought I should point out is that the starting line felt a little redundant, especially if you read last chapter and this chapter in a row. It felt like an unneeded recap.
Another thing, when you said, "Rip!" It felt very out of place, because I don't think this story used sound effects before, and even if it did, it might flow better if you described the sound, ya know?
Other than that, great chapter! I look forward to reading the next one!




shieldmaiden says...


So true about the starting line! Thanks for pointing that out. And the sound effect is misplaced. I already want to fix that. I'm glad you liked it on the whole though. Thanks for the support!



shieldmaiden says...


So true about the starting line! Thanks for pointing that out. And the sound effect is misplaced. I already want to fix that. I'm glad you liked it on the whole though. Thanks for the support!



User avatar
461 Reviews


Points: 7451
Reviews: 461

Donate
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:30 pm
Horisun wrote a review...



Yep... Yep... I was wrong, absolutely, positively wrong. Ah well, this is much more interesting anyway!
I really like this chapter. And well I had an idea on what the meeting was going to be about, I certainly did not expect them to be married, like, what? Plot twist!
One thing I thought I should point out is that the starting line felt a little redundant, especially if you read last chapter and this chapter in a row. It felt like an unneeded recap.
Another thing, when you said, "Rip!" It felt very out of place, because I don't think this story used sound effects before, and even if it did, it might flow better if you described the sound, ya know?
Other than that, great chapter! I look forward to reading the next one!




User avatar
206 Reviews


Points: 8788
Reviews: 206

Donate
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:18 am
View Likes
Honora wrote a review...



Hey Cecy! It’s been awhile, I know and I’m sorry for that!
Well, you know how this goes so I’m just gonna get to it!

Why did Father need to see me so urgently? Was he ill? My steps quickened till I was running towards the building. When I reached the Hall, I leaped over the stairs and, grasping one of the doors’ handles and pulling with all my strength, barged into the room without waiting to be announced.
My feet pattered loudly across the marble floor as I dashed into the enveloping darkness of the empty Hall towards the foot of the throne where sat the Emperor.
I find this was a bit rushed. If you had mentioned something about a growing fear that her Father was sick and a need to get to him quick, it would make her mad dash a bit more understandable. I don’t know why but I found this not quite enough. It could just be me though! :)


Rip! The sound of my dress tearing as the hand groped at the hem of my gown broke me out of my stupor.
This was good but I find the word rip a bit dull. I mean, it does tell us that her dress ripped but that’s exactly it. You told told us, not showed us.

“What? Just now … did you see them too?” I asked.
There’s no emotion in this. Wouldn’t she be confused/relieved/shaking with terror about this? Think about it, if this just happened to you, would you be acting normal?

And that’s all I found for nitpicks. You’re doing incredibly well! I’m really happy that I have been able to read this from start to finish for another time. It’s making me excited to read what I haven’t!
One thing I find you did really well on is describing the creepy shadows in the corners. You really make me shiver!
Sorry this review is so short. I’m gonna try catch up a bit! Love ya and can’t wait for another time to visit! <3<3<3

Your friend,
Honora




shieldmaiden says...


Thanks Honora! Incredibly helpful. I guess that the reason why I didn't go into too much description about how she was feeling is because I'm not entirely sure myself. Kkachi is incredibly unique and takes even the most bizarre scenarios really calmly. She grew up in the streets after all. And I find it fun to write her as puzzled, or slightly scared. But these emotions never last long with her because she is a girl of action. She prefers to fix things. Being driven by fear makes her feel helpless. So, I wasn't so sure how she would react to this shadow episode. I definitely have lots of editing to do.



Honora says...


Lol no problem!
I understand what you are saying about her character but she would be kind of shaken up I think. :)



shieldmaiden says...


Agreed! :)



User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 3377
Reviews: 67

Donate
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:24 am
View Likes
Awru wrote a review...



Congrats!You have done it again.OMG!OMG!!OMG!!!Squuueeaall.Man am I gladd.But I know there is going to be a catch there is always catch when things become too happy.I don't know why those two were acting so depressed though.I mean come on😏They were written for each other I hope(Don't you dare let someone spoil their relation)
I have this fleeting suspicion that Princess Pulsa had her share of good deeds in bad naming Kkachi.I thought she couldn't even harm an insect.
I am thinking maybe that good spirit who gave Kkachi the sword was her mother who else could it be??
Like always I loved it
Keep up the excellent work and post the next chapter SOON


PEACE OUT :smt023




shieldmaiden says...


I'm so relieved that u like it. I was afraid that it wouldn't live up to the expectations. More surprises to come. ;)



Awru says...


Just one thing bothered me though.Iyagi did not show as much concern as he should have for Nakai I mean they are best friends from childhood.If god forbid sth happens happens to my best friend I would go berserk with worry.On the other the hand the way Nakai talked about his friendship with Iyagi was soo melting.I think you should show some more depth to their friendship

P.S:Dang you are really dead set on on not giving any spoilers aren't you?*cold sigh*



shieldmaiden says...


Sorry? :)



Awru says...


You know your not sorry*rolls eyes*



User avatar
616 Reviews


Points: 122617
Reviews: 616

Donate
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:36 am
View Likes
FlamingPhoenix wrote a review...



Hello, FlamingPhoenix here with a review for you on this wonderful day, and as always to help get your work out the green room.

Okay let's begin.

So I just love the way you start this chapter, i got hooked right away, though when it comes to your story I always get hooked. XD Anyway I saw one very small mistake I would like to point out quickly.

The Incarcerateshrieked in agony as the light moved across its body causing the smoke to burst like a balloon into a soot of ash.

I'm quit sure the word in bod is meant to be two words. So it should be like this 'Incarcerate shrieked' I think it was just a small mistake in the rush of writing the chapter.

Anyway that was all I could see that was wrong.
I really like how this chapter went, it was not what I expected, but it was fun to read, and I enjoyed it a lot.
When Kkachi's father thought her and the guard were in a romantic relationship I was really shocked, and I was like, what why would they be in a relationship. He was only ill. So that got me really shocked and excited for what would happen next.
And then she did this strange thing with the sword, and that got me very interested, because all of a sudden she knows how to use it and she knows a word to say to activate it so to speak. So that was quite exciting.
And the rest of the chapter was okay when Kkachis father was asking them if they will do what ever it takes to keep her reputation, and then he says their going to get MARRIED!!!!! WHAT!? That was so unexpected I thought she would be married to a prince, and that was what you were giving off through out the chapter, so this was quite the shock, and now I can't wait to read the next chapter.

Well that's all from me for now, I hope you will post the next chapter soon, because I just can't wait for the next one, I'm all excited to see what they will do next. I'm glad I come to read and review your work, it was a lot of fun. Have a great day or night ether one.

Your friend and faithful reader
FlamingPhoenix.
Reviewing with a fiery passion.




shieldmaiden says...


Thanks Phoenix! I'm really glad that this chapter came as a surprise. That's what I was hoping for! (
Insert evil laughter)



shieldmaiden says...


Thanks Phoenix! I'm really glad that this chapter came as a surprise. That's what I was hoping for! (
Insert evil laughter)



shieldmaiden says...


Thanks Phoenix! I'm really glad that this chapter came as a surprise. That's what I was hoping for! (
Insert evil laughter)





I really look forward to the next one!




I regret everything.
— Ron Swanson