z

Young Writers Society



He came back to me

by myjaspercat


I cried in the dark corners of my room, with my blinders on
and my hazards blinking-so blindingly
red they burned holes in my flesh.

There's these demons inside my head that whisper
to me in the early hours of the night so often
they feel as if they're long lost friends beckoning me home.

I cried tears that cut arroyos from my skin
slowly carving their fastest path from the
apex of my eyes to my chin.

My heart feels like it's beating through thickened
sludge that sticks to my muscles like old molasses
that smells lightly of the decay that rests on my pantry shelves.

I cried so violently I caused a hurricane, named after my
oldest friend, that relentlessly slammed into the four
walls of the room that I took shelter in.

Time's begun to stand still, almost as if the hands on my clock
started ticking backwards in slow motion, like two feet who
got caught in quicksand that didn't understand the definition of quick.

I cried until my body ran out of salt and my pores
dried up in a sudden and instantaneous squelch it
burst my ear drums and left them bleeding from the inside out.

Every where I looked I could see the creeping smile of
an ominous face that teetered on the edges of my
mind so carefully one tip, could send it crashing to the ground.

I cried, lying under my bed in order to escape the rest of the
world because I was tooo afraid to get up and face it;
two people against the world -me and depression.

My bed begun to feel like warm hugs from cold
fingers that grappled with my skin, digging deep trenches
large enough to reach their scaly hooks into.

I cried and my reflection continued to shed the tears that no
longer fell down my cheeks because it knew all to
well that I'd become a physical empty shell.

The air grew heavier until it felt like liquid fire I had to gulp
through in Olympic pool length breaths just to keep
the oxygen flowing to my brain, slowly, surely, quietly.

I cried too often and for too long, no longer grounded
in this world of concrete mornings but rather nights
with no ends- my body reeling from the insomnia.

My bestfriend came back to me today, yesterday too
he reached behind me and patted my back like he was so proud
to see that I had learned to get out of bed and tie my shoes. 

All over again.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
22 Reviews


Points: 42
Reviews: 22

Donate
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:11 pm
AutumnDawn says...



oh my god... I starting almost crying after I read three or four sentences.
I love this poem. I feel like I am witnesses your life take place
the description with this poem is REALLY REALLY GREAT.
my favorite line is....

"I cried, lying under my bed in order to escape the rest of the
world because I was tooo afraid to get up and face it;
two people against the world -me and depression."

because I can relate to that feeling. and I understand how it feels. how somedays all want to is hide.
all in all GREAT JOB.




User avatar
22 Reviews


Points: 42
Reviews: 22

Donate
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:11 pm
AutumnDawn wrote a review...



oh my god... I starting almost crying after I read three or four sentences.
I love this poem. I feel like I am witnesses your life take place
the description with this poem is REALLY REALLY GREAT.
my favorite line is....

"I cried, lying under my bed in order to escape the rest of the
world because I was tooo afraid to get up and face it;
two people against the world -me and depression."

because I can relate to that feeling. and I understand how it feels. how somedays all want to is hide.
all in all GREAT JOB.




User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 1634
Reviews: 37

Donate
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:14 am
Louisiana15 wrote a review...



Hello, Louisiana here!

This was longer than I expected when I read your title. So, surprise surprise. I feel like you were too descriptive. There were way too many similes and metaphors in this; it was very distracting.

Your repetition of describing how you cry is a little much too...but it gets to the reader and shows the almost-decomposition of the person to that empty shell that is caused by depression. So, looking at it in that way, the imagery is great.

There were a few misspells that I saw. Also, I got confused a few times because of the way some of the stanzas were structured. I couldn't tell where I was supposed to "pause" or "continue on".

Overall, your imagery of the decomposition of a person with depression was very vivid and EXTREMELY accurate (I definitely know the look/feel). So, I am glad to see the accuracy. Beautiful use of diction--it was long and complicated, just like crying and depression and starting over (as seen in the last line in your poem).

Speaking of which, it was cleverly written. I like how it was short but it makes the reader think of a cycle; it continues on and on and no one knows when it will end (if it ever will).

I like how the poem itself was structured. Every other stanza was indented making it seem like an afterthought of the narrator after while explaining the crying. It made me feel like I was being shifted through the narrator's mind--one minute seeing the depression-effects, next minute switching to the almost sane/realistic aspect of the mind.


This was a story of depression that was nicely written and described. :)


-Louisiana




User avatar
560 Reviews


Points: 30438
Reviews: 560

Donate
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:10 pm
Tenyo wrote a review...



Hey Myjaspercat!

This poem was quite thick to chew through. I think you've done an amazing thing in taking such a deep theme and being able to dig in and open it up, especially with it being such a powerful topic.

I love that second to last stanza. Thickened sludge, relentless slamming, digging trenches, they're all heavy and exhausting images, but that last image, of being patted on the back for getting out of bed and tying shoelaces, is so wonderfully simple it really highlights just how incredibly different the internal struggle of the narrator is to what it may appear to be on the outside.

The hyperbole of crying hard enough to cause a hurricane is wonderful. It's something I personally really like in literature, when two things so dramatically different are put together. It has a pleasant tingle on the imagination I think, especially this one.

I would be tempted to say that some of the metaphors were just a little bit too much of a stretch to really make sense of, but at the same time I've read 'Yet I continue to live' and 'I lost my voice' and this seems to be something particular to your style that, in honesty, I would be hesitant to critique because as much as it makes the reading more difficult it also makes just as much more enchanting, and I would hate to risk detracting from that enchantment.




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 1090
Reviews: 13

Donate
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:16 am
Poppy wrote a review...



Hi myjaspercat! I’m Poppy, and I’m here for a review!

I’m just going to review as I read, so my overall thoughts will be at the end of this post, and any corrections I suggested will be found right below this :)

The first paragraph didn’t make a lot of sense to me. What are blinders? They reminds me of the blinders that horses wear so they don’t get spooked. I’d recommend a bit more description here so the reader can get a visual picture in their head.
Also, “blinking-so blindingly red they burned holes in my flesh.” The “-“ shouldn’t be there, and before “they” you should either add a period, or put “that”. It would look like, “blinking so blindingly red that they burned holes in my flesh.”

“Time’s begin to stand stil, almost as if the hands on my clock
started ticking...” I think you just accidentally made a new paragraph here. These two should be connected.

“...because I was tooo afraid to get up and face it;”
Just two O’s in too

In the least paragraph, I’d recommend adding a period after “yesterday too” and starting a new scentance with “He reached behind...”. I also saw that you accidentally hit enter after “proud” so just a backspace should fix that.


Overall, this was really quite scary-and I’m saying that because I can tell that’s what you want expressed with this short story, right? It’s definitely a spine-chiller. I do have some questions, like why do these demons attack her? Do they attack more people like her? Did she do something to make them angry with her? It would be nice if you’d maybe hit at some of these things, or at least add a bit of a backstory because I’d definitely be interested in knowing. But it was certainly filled with mystery and foreboding, which was also kind of nice, and definitely kept me reading!

Keep up the great work!
-Poppy




myjaspercat says...


Hey there, I'm very grateful for your review, thank you so much! I just wanted to address some of the comments/questions expressed in your review to hopefully clear some things up.

1) The demons that attack her are figurative rather then literal. I was referring more to the personal demons a lot of people face while dealing with things such as depression. That's also why I attempted at making them these "friends" to the speaker.


2) For the blinders, I was kind of thinking of the horse blinders. I wanted it to seem like the speaker was physically shielding her eyes from the world in order to escape it. I will definitely go back and look at ways to make that image come a little clearer.

3)Your comments about the line breaks and "new paragraphs." I really appreciate them and if this piece was intended as a prose piece I would definitely use those suggestions, however I wanted specific line breaks in this poem to make it seem like the speaker was going through this internal struggle while also keeping some integrity to length and uniformity. (I don't know how else to say that without coming off as rude and I hope I still didn't.) I hope that makes a lick of sense.

Again, thank you so much for your review I really appreciate it. I'm glad you liked the piece.




Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
— Martin Luther King Jr.